All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] No Sound From Music or Video Snaps

tglopez

Hi All -

I'm having a peculiar issue where I'm able to start Gameex and hear the title intro and menu selection jingles just fine, but no sound from the jukebox or the video snaps. Log suggests thtat I'm initialising the Windows Media Player Component correctly so I'm at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

log.txt

• Like 1

Hi tglopez,

Kudos for posting your log.text, but it would be helpful to also see your GameEx.ini at this point as well.

I can't for the life of me find the link, but you can find it here in your system:

...\GameEx\CONFIG\gameex.ini

Provide that file and it'll make things much quicker and easier for us to pinpoint your issue :)

Hmm, normally at this point i would advise a codec install, BUT you are running W10 64 anyway which doesn't need it.

Could you give an outline of your system, with any specs that you are aware of. The smallest details can matter.

For instance: Are you running a laptop? A PC? Does your PC have both an integrated soundcard and a dedicated? If laptop, is it always connected to a power source?

Zero audio is unusual, especially if you are seeing vids. I suspect a setting has been overlooked somewhere.

Agree - very unusual and was never a problem before. Running a desktop PC, sound through Creative SB X-Fi internal soundcard -- but the motherboard also has an integrated card. Again, when I start GameEx -- I get the intro sound and menu selection sounds just fine -- but nothing when I try to play music on the jukebox or from the videosnaps. Should I try running the sound through the integrated card to see what happens? 

OK -- figured it out. Apparently, to get my playlist music and the video snaps sound to work, I had to enable ambient sound (it was set to disable), which is currently directed to the ambient mp3. Now strangely, between songs, the ambient sound will come up briefly. The sound for the video snaps in the MAME section only work when I stop the playlist music. Once I turn the playlist music back on, the video snaps sound disappears. Seriously jacked up audio settings. Perhaps I DO need to do a codec reinstall?

Wouldn't hurt to try the codec uninstall/reinstall. Make sure you are using the LAV codecs. These are recommended. 

You also may want to verify if there is a BIOS setting for disabling the integrated sound.

On 26/06/2017 at 5:41 AM, tglopez said:

The sound for the video snaps in the MAME section only work when I stop the playlist music. Once I turn the playlist music back on, the video snaps sound disappears.

That is actually normal behavior, otherwise you'd have multiple sound sources playing at once, and, I don't know if you've ever experienced it, but trust me - it is death to your ears! The other anomalies though def need to be looked into.

On 26/06/2017 at 11:06 AM, Draco1962 said:

You also may want to verify if there is a BIOS setting for disabling the integrated sound.

My sentiments exactly, hence asking about 2 or maybe more sound chips in system.

Thanks, all. I disabled the integrated sound in the bios and installed the LAV codecs. Everything now appears to be working correctly -- I disabled ambient sound and still got the juke to work. All this is rather confusing, since I've never had these issues before but alas.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Creative update has buggered a few people with the font and now some of the sound cards. Nice. Still one of the best Windows versions around IMO.

2 hours ago, tthurman said:

Windows 10/Creative Bug probably

One of my X-Fi's, the PCI based one, still doesn't play well with 10, and probably never will since Creative quickly EOL'd the X-Fi to get people to buy new cards.

That's gonna happen. Moneytrain ;)

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

Windows 10 Creative update has buggered a few people with the font and now some of the sound cards. Nice. Still one of the best Windows versions around IMO.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, tglopez said:

Thanks, all. I disabled the integrated sound in the bios and installed the LAV codecs. Everything now appears to be working correctly -- I disabled ambient sound and still got the juke to work. All this is rather confusing, since I've never had these issues before but alas.

Thanks for reporting back and glad you got it sorted :)

• Like 1