All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Atari?! What the whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Kustom Kid

It's kinda like that post I made a few months ago about.. "what if Atari suddenly crawled out of the woodwork and came out with a new generation console to compete against Microsoft and Sony".  Then they announce this, and everybody's waiting on bated breath to see what they're doing... Video Game Renaissance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's it supposed to be? That's what I want to know.

If it's a retro classic edition like the NES or SNES CE then why not a mini version of the beloved 2600 ascetic? That's what leads me to believe they're looking to make a new gen console. But that design? There doesn't look to be room for beefy specs...actually now that I look at it again, maybe the whole top is an anodized aluminum heatsink. It'd fit the classic Atari ascetic. The large surface area would allow everything to be bonded (TIC/Heat pads) directly to it and the heat to rise up, where it wants to go. Plus with passive cooling, it would be dead silent. Interesting, if that's what they have in mind.

I love the design. Also, to quote from the article:

"Information on pricing, release dates, game content, or even full specs aren't on the cards right now. "We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, pricing, timing," the company said. "We're not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we've opted to share things step by step as we bring this to life, and to listen closely to the Atari community feedback as we do so."

Read and learn, Spintendo, read and learn.

1 hour ago, stigzler said:

..."We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, pricing, timing," the company said..

That "games" bit makes me think they intend for it to be a CE console with pre-loaded games on it, instead of a platform for game devs to create new content for. I'm reading into it a little, but the rhetoric is sufficiently slanted away from a next-gen console and more toward the retro mini market.

I like the inclusive aspect. Tease the market prior to release. Gauge the interest, desired features, and demand. Then finish the product with the most desired/feasible features, a reasonable price tag, and be sure to produce enough to avoid the scalping market. I hope that's what they're doing anyway.

The article suggests that there will be SD card support. Might just be a way to sell classic collection series or allow for the import of ROMs including original and current homebrew programming.  Would be a unique concept compared to other consoles. 

43 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

The article suggests that there will be SD card support. Might just be a way to sell classic collection series or allow for the import of ROMs including original and current homebrew programming.  Would be a unique concept compared to other consoles. 

...or just media support for music, pictures and DLC.

Y'all know it's gonna be a Droid machine with Atari games preloaded on it, right?

Might as well just get a Shield. ;)