All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Atari?! What the whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Kustom Kid

18 hours ago, tthurman said:

I nearly posted this when Draco posted the pics, but it seems I'm alone on this.  I find those cases pretty FUGLY.

My first impression was they looked like a wifi router / streaming device. I'm not as impressed with the later concept pics than the original pic with that blister hazard of a controller. I do like the backlit RED Atari logo on black. Darth Vader esk?

• 2 months later...

Yeah I saw these new details.  $250-$300?  That's Xbox One/PS4 territory, but this is an Atari machine that will play their old games (probably emulators) as well as NEW games.  But these new games are only going to be those open-source low-level type games like Minecraft and Terraria, not A-listers.  It can do streaming and web browsing?  Whoopdeedoo.  So does my Raspberry Pi.  So far, it sounds like a brand name bloat.  They're saying it may not even come with controllers, so you'd have to buy those separately.  I'd rather by an XBONE/PS4, or an nVidia Shield to get Steam Games at 4k.  By running Linux, they may even be promoting hackers.  Hearing this, and the price, just killed it for me.  Unless Atari has some secret dev team hiding in their sleeves making dedicated Atari games, I'm out.  The thing isn't even built yet.. they need to crowdfund it on IndieGoGo because they don't have any money.  HA!

• Like 1

Yep, sounds like someone had an idea, which was to jump on the NES/SNES bandwagon.....but no real plan.  Sounds real shot from the hip, but it could still be interesting once the dust all settles.  It almost seems as if this was released to test the feedback water, so to speak....

• Like 1

I just don't understand.  They can't compete with what is already available.  They have a Flashback console already, that plays their old games.  If the cost is really going to be where they're saying, everybody would rather buy a current gen A-List game supporting system.  If they want to dabble in the open-source market, they have to compete with the much cheaper Shield.  There's just no way to understand their thinking.  The brand isn't that good anymore.  They're like 6 generations behind, and living human generations are either grandparents or great-grandparents now.  They could care less.  Atari needs to bring on full A-List game support, lower the cost, or offer something that's not already available.  I still can't believe they don't even have a working model yet, and are expected to create a crowdsource income in the next month or so with plans of releasing to market a complete system in Spring 2018.  Yeah right!

Lol!

I'm definitely down for a powerful Android box and would purchase one of there was one and it looked nice. Oh wait, the Shield already exists and it's cheaper... ;)

On 9/28/2017 at 1:16 AM, hansolo77 said:

$250-$300?  That's Xbox One/PS4 territory, Whoopdeedoo.  So does my Raspberry Pi.

On 9/28/2017 at 6:55 PM, Adultery said:

I'm definitely down for a powerful Android box and would purchase one of there was one and it looked nice. Oh wait, the Shield already exists and it's cheaper... ;)

Yup. Two options, way cheaper, nuff said :)