All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Is it worth upgrading the following...?

KRC

My current secondary rig has the following:

AMD FX-4300 (Stock 3.8ghz), Stock Cooler, 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr 2gb, Corsair CX550M (Grey-New Version), SSD,HDD etc.

I have been given an I5-4590 and have been wondering if its worth upgrading, obviously I need a new mobo.

Or I could even sell the I5-4590 and upgrade to a FX-8350.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't even bother. I don't know that you would even see a real, noticeable performance difference.

Sell the i5 and put another 8GB RAM in it if you really want to do something to the system. :)

JUST MY OPINION. YOURS MAY (and probably does) VARY.

EDIT: I just read the last line about FX-8350. Stupid me. Go that way. No reason to change out the entire MB just for a processor. Does the 8350 socket into the same motherboard? If yes - no contest.

Thanks, so do I not even bother with the I5-4590 or FX-8350?

I only have 2 ram slots so I might have to settle for a new Xbox One PC Controller or HDD.

To be honest though the games I play PC Wise aren't too intensive anyway, no shooters or anything like that.

To be honest - for a secondary system that's got a lot of power. However I did write an edit after I posted:

22 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

EDIT: I just read the last line about FX-8350. Stupid me. Go that way. No reason to change out the entire MB just for a processor. Does the 8350 socket into the same motherboard? If yes - no contest.

Also, I was just browsing PCSX2 and Dolphin literature and most say that FX-4300 and FX-8350 are nearly identical in terms of performance with those emulators, what I might do is overclock the FX-4300 slightly to 4.2 or 4.4ghz and put a Hyper 212 cooler on there and it should be on par with a stock FX-8350.

• Like 1

Yeah, I figured, but unfortunately, those don't always tell the whole story.  I upgraded my dual core quad 9450 last summer to an i7 6700k.  Clearly it beats down the old rig, and it shows in newer stuff.  For most of the stuff I do though, it's not really noticeable.  I'm sure this will change once VP enters the scene, but I believe that most modern processors from the last decade, still hold their own pretty well.

It still somewhat amazes me who Intel changed the playing field with the release of the Conroe, after AMD owned them during the P4 days.

20 hours ago, tthurman said:

Yeah, I figured, but unfortunately, those don't always tell the whole story.  I upgraded my dual core quad 9450 last summer to an i7 6700k.  Clearly it beats down the old rig, and it shows in newer stuff.  For most of the stuff I do though, it's not really noticeable.  I'm sure this will change once VP enters the scene, but I believe that most modern processors from the last decade, still hold their own pretty well.

It still somewhat amazes me who Intel changed the playing field with the release of the Conroe, after AMD owned them during the P4 days.

I think CPUBoss is very intel biased.

I know most intel CPU's have a slight edge over their AMD Counterparts but not by that much.

Anyway I finished a new build yesterday with the FX-4300 I have, put a new Asus USB3 Mobo in there along with the GTX 770 and its golden. Cant overclock yet though as I need the aftermarket CPU Cooler still. Oh and a new sweet case as well.

Yeah Ryzen is a huge leap over the FX Series.

Give it 12 or so months I will probably end up going to Ryzen or Kaby Lake.

But I couldn't really justify upgrading from the FX 4300 to and I5 4590 for specifically what I do which is mainly retro gaming.

This cute little FX 4300 I have does all I need.

I gave my main I7 3770 rig to my eldest daughter for her schoolwork but now she uses it for minecraft instead :lol:

On 6/15/2017 at 6:30 AM, KRC said:

So here is what is looks like at the moment (from a distance), just need to put a new cooler in there.

Oh and theres my daughter having a go at Five Nights At Freddy's. :o

IMG-20170613-WA0028.jpeg

Why... dear GOD WHY... are those things on the floor?

Pogs were ace.

Also, in the UK in the 90s they had these things called Tazos which came in Walkers (Lays) packets of crisps. (Potato chips for those across the pond)

They were sorta like pogs. I remember there were Warner Bros cartoon character's on them and Star Wars themed Tazos.

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

The ultimate fidget spinner...

Fekkin hell Draco... you tryin' to find the most  Finger Snippin' Good spinner out there or what? :o

I would say though, you got enough power already, if you only want to run PS2 emulation. You know the answer already i feel :) sell the i5 coz it'll cost you way too much to get a comparable system from that chip (new mobo itself is not worth it for that chip.), tbh you would probably be better off maxing your current mobo, and in the meantime saving for your next bump.

I just had a gander at newegg. After a quick reup on the currently available hardware, I wouldn't upgrade from your current specs. The trade off is not worth it (Cost vs. performance increase) IMO.

I find VGA and Primary drive are the most influential factors in Gaming performance and best general user experience. My recommendations are:

1. M.2 Gen 3x4 primary drive: I have a Samsung M.2 (2.2GB/s read, 1.3GB/s write). This has been the best single upgrade I've made, noticeable even over SSD (550MB/s read, 500MB/s write). However, it uses up 4x PCIe lanes instead of the SATA interface. This allows it to get around the SATA3 interface's throughput limit of ~550MB/s, but it requires you to consider your CPU's Max number of PCIe lanes.
  2. Think about SLI/Crossfire! You'll need to make sure you motherboard supports x16 on the second PCIe slot and that your CPU has at least 36 PCI express lanes. If it doesn't, then it will limit SLI performance. Don't bank on being able to double your performance with SLI later, unless you match motherboard with CPU correctly to begin with (and it'll cost you more). So, think carefully about what you want. If you don't plan to SLI, then you're not likely to reach a PCIe lane limit. This is one reason it's important to get the best standalone VGA you can. If you go the SLI route, then when you need more performance a year or two down the line you can get another VGA for cheap. This will extend the life of your machine until the available technology advances enough for an upgrade to be significant and minimally expensive. However, I have read that the new GTX10 series don't benefit as much from SLI. Moreover, CPU's with enough PCIe lanes cost more. So it may be advisable to get the single best card you can afford and forego SLI (Depending on your needs, if gaming is not one of them, then VGA is not that important). IMO, SLI/crossfire is not worth the added expense and headache.
  3. CPU: More physical cores is better for video encoding and other tasks that can take advantage of them. Games and other software are starting to take advantage, but higher frequency is better for legacy software and games that can't take advantage. I Prioritize higher frequency, then physical cores, for emulation. Remember, Games benefit more from primary graphics card more than the CPU. To dispel the marketing, I'll repeat that again. CPU considerations are secondary to VGA for gaming! Spend the money on a good graphics card first. Most people forget this next bit. For full scaling performance of 2 video cards, your CPU needs enough PCIe lanes! To support 16 (VGA 1) + 16 (VGA 2) + 4 (M.2) = 36x Max PCI express lanes. This necessary bit of information is not the easiest to find when comparing processors. And most affordable processors don't have enough lanes to take full advantage of 2 or more cards at x16. That's why you see affordable motherboards often list the second VGA port at x8.
  4. Memory: 8-16GB 1600MHz DDR4 is perfectly fine and affordable. The added MHz of 2400 is not that big of a gaming boost and it's expensive to get it to work. You need to carefully pair Motherboard, CPU, and Memory Modules to get speed above 1600MHz and it usually makes overclocking more unstable. I'm not a fan of spending that much more money for such a small performance boost, especially if it makes my overclocks unstable. Overclocking has a better potential performance boost than memory anyway. So what's the point of having high price memory, if I can't overclock and keep the higher frequency! I recommend just getting a solid brand of 1600 with tight timings.

The two are often used interchangeably. The GPU is the actual chip (Processor) on the Video Graphics Adapter (Graphics card). I don't really care, it's just semantics. Call it what you will, it amounts to the same thing - the hunk of pure lightning you plug into a PC to make games dazzle and amaze.

Array is something different I imagine.