All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Emulator downloads freezing repeatedly on latest version

RyuHayabusa1978

Hi guys, been a long time. I'm a long time GameEx user having some trouble with the latest version. I haven't updated in years. Still using an ancient version on the arcade machine but it works fine so haven't messed with it. However, on my HTPC I decided to give the latest version a try. I've installed it and in the Setup Wizard I've gone down the list of emulators to download and install. However, it keeps freezing during the middle of the download. I can't figure out why it keeps doing that. Any ideas?

We will likely need to look at your gameex.ini and log.txt files to see what is going on.  Click on the GameEx How to ask for help link in my signature for instructions on how to locate the files. Please attach them in reply to this thread. 

Another weird thing I noticed, and maybe it's a Windows 10 thing. In the Config Wizard, whenever I go to select the rom paths, artwork paths, etc., when I click on select folder there's no way to actually select the folder. It opens the path, then you get to the folder you want to select but there's no way to actually select it. You're stuck with an open folder. I don't know how to describe it. You know, if you click and select a path and hit ok, that's usually it. However, this actually opens the folder up. You can't select. It means that I have to manually type the addresses for every path to ever emulator and each of it's individual folders. What happened to that blue GameExConfig from the old version? I guess that's gone now.

I just tried this, and @RyuHayabusa1978 is right, in the latest version, the "browse" button doesn't work. It is 'unclickable'. In other words it has no function. I am running W10 Pro, with full Admin account. The only way to edit paths is to alter the .ini itself, the Setup Wizard is not working as intended.

I'll post the files later, but in my opinion something is amiss.

I will look into the download issue soon.

As for browsing to select a path issue. I cannot replicate this. I tried both "ROM Path" and "Logo Path" in Emulator Setup. I can click the "..." button to select a path fine. Can anyone give more specific information on how to replicate this issue?

16 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Yes, the first icon does not work. you need to click to the right of it. Is that what you mean? Its kind of a design issue I guess.

When you click the folder icon it will open up the path in Explorer if it's valid.

2 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Yes, the first icon does not work. you need to click to the right of it. Is that what you mean? Its kind of a design issue I guess.

2 hours ago, headkaze said:

When you click the folder icon it will open up the path in Explorer if it's valid.

Yup, just tried, that is it ^_^ it is a little confusing that clicking the folder graphic does nothing, yet the three dots (...) do. I think they should be one and the same, seeing as even i didn't even think to click the dots (if it was a normal windows icon i would have :P).

I also tried to download WinVice as a test, and although the Setup Wizard indicated that it did, i couldn't find it anywhere on my system (nor could GameEx). I wonder if it's because I deleted the default GameEx paths a long time ago? If they are not present may be it causes trouble (it didn't ask for a path when i prompted the download)?