All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Gameex is always taking the current windows resolution

MoggFanatic

Hello,

gameex is not taking the theme resolution in the theme.ini, it doesn't matter what theme i choose. Also when i specify a resolution in the display setting in the setup wizard and set it to use it it is ignored. It is only using the display setting of win 10, so when i have a resolution of 800x600 or 640x480 or 640x288 in win 10 gameex is using that. i want to run the win 10 desktop in 640x288 and than a theme in 800x600 but can't figure out what is causing the problem. i did use a clean gameex.ini just to look if something is broken or messed up and after using the wizard the themes resolution is used by gameex again, not the win 10 desktop res.. but i don't want to loose my configurations.

Sidequest: can i ShellBeforeLaunch in mame a .bat or a .exe? and what would it look like? i tried my best to fill in the path but it was not working (launching a bat that changes the display resolution)

Does anybody has a clue what is the problem with gameex not taking the theme res?

Thank you

GameEx.ini

I'll be devil's advocate here, but GameEx has always, since the the very beginning used the Theme resolution to determine the Theme. If you have a low res Theme, GameEx will use that Theme at the intended resolution. If you use a 1080p resolution Theme, GameEx will run at 1080p. That is a very clever feature of GameEx is it not? If you use a 640x480 Theme then GameEx will run at that resoution. That is impressive stuff.

I may be wrong, but i think you are confusing system res, with display res, may be?

9 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

See the "don't switch resolution" setting. You need to set this to "Set resolution to below".

i did change the setting in the wizard. in the gameex.ini it does show now as "DontSwitchRes=False"

sadly it does not work and gameex is stil taking my actual win10 desktop resolution

my windows display driver is set at a 640x288 60 hrz progressive desktop resolution (win 10 graphical user interface)

i do use the GIGA DRIVE theme that does use a 800x600 resolution (which should be 30 hrz deinterlaced in my case)

in the log it does show :

13:09:55.6  02.06.2017:  Setting Resolution to 800x600 16 bit color
13:09:55.6  02.06.2017:  Creating Surfaces
13:09:56.0  02.06.2017:  Warning: Display is running in full screen compatibility mode.
13:09:56.0  02.06.2017:  Applying GameEx is Loading Image
13:09:56.0  02.06.2017:  Setting Resolution to 640x288 16 bit color
13:09:56.0  02.06.2017:  Creating Surfaces
13:09:56.1  02.06.2017:  Creating Primary Surface - Windowed Mode

13:09:56.1  02.06.2017:  Loading graphic Surfaces
13:09:56.1  02.06.2017:  Display is running at: 640x288 32bit color, 60hz

full screen compatibility mode, what is that? does it resize and shrink and also set the display to a windowed one in 640x288 ?

i did look into the compatibility settings in properties in the gameex.exe but the only tick is on run as administrator

UPDATE:

i did use all the ticks in the properties and there compatibility section of the gameex.exe and after using the windows 7 compatibility mode it DOES WORK AGAIN! i then unchecked the  windows 7 compatibility mode and still gameeex is using the theme resolution again!!! must have been some sort of bug... i also changed my windows 7 to windows 10 a month ago dunno if this is related

just two more questions: can i use a "start before" command to launch a .exe before launching mame? i want to launch a .exe to change my display setting and also restore with a "start after"?

and the deadzone setting in display tab in the wizard is not working, it does nothing even when using 25 as a setting. i do have a huge overscan area so this would be nice to use, anybody had luck with this?

GameEx.ini

log.txt

• MoggFanatic changed the title to [Resolved] Gameex is always taking the current windows resolution

OK I am confused. You marked the issue as resolved, yet are reporting a related error with resolution for the Attract Mode. If you mark an issue as resolved, the thread gets locked. I will give you some time to decide if the issue is truly resolved so you can edit the title.

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] Gameex is always taking the current windows resolution
  • Draco1962 locked this topic