All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

RIP Roger Moore

tthurman

I think that there are "favorites" but agree that there aren't any bests. Some were great for the time period within which they performed. Roger Moore was definitely the 70's, but was getting a little long in the tooth by the late 80's. The 90's bonds were OK, but my favorite Bonds I have to say were/are Sean Connery and Daniel Craig.

I agree with Draco here.  SorryTthurman lol.  Sean Connery, because, well it's Sean Connery.  And Daniel Craig, hell yes.  Roger Moore.. meh.  If you're watching a James Bond marathon, you just have to grit your teeth and make your way through the Moore era.  I dunno, he kinda ruined James Bond.  Turned him into a comedian, who wasn't funny.  They lost their impact for me for a long time, until Pierce Brosnan came along.  Too bad he was too old to make more movies.  In one of the bonus features accompanying one of the DVD's, the directors/etc said they always wanted Pierce but wanted him to mature and age a little more as an actor.  They just waited to long.  Luckily we got in Daniel Craig.  He was iffy at first, because he didn't fit the Bond image and persona presented in the Ian Fleming books.  That, and the movies took a dramatic reboot with him that's actually doing pretty well.  Roger Moore's run was campy comedy, with movies coming back to back at rapid fire pace that didn't hold up to anybody else.  To me, Roger Moore was the WORST Bond, even George Lazenby did better lol. 

Still, there's always that special niche.  That special place in your heart, way down there somewhere.  It's sad to see the passing of Mr. Moore.  May he rest in peace.  I imagine him skiing down some slope in the afterlife now, chasing after Richard Kiel.  :) <3

Wow, that's funny!

I respectfully have to disagree.

To me it was Roger Moore; as a kid, one just old enough to appreciate Bond flicks.   That is until I saw the Connery era, who I think was the best of the group (I just wasn't going there).  Connery, Moore, and yeah Craig has done a decent job.  I always liked Bronson in other characters, but his Bond movies seemed hit and miss, if anything some of them were the most comedic of them all.  I mean no disrespect, he checked all the boxes,.

I don't think it was his age at all, I believe some didn't do well in the box office, and he was unjustly shown the door for bad writing.  He had perhaps the shortest run with the exception of Dalton, who played a great Bond IMO.

Different strokes I suppose, but this thread was in respect of Roger Moore, and not necessarily his, or anyones portrayal of the Bond character.  If my post came across otherwise, that's my mistake.  It is a little hard to have a thread about Roger Moore without touching on the "Bond" element though:D  I really like The Saint, but just not sure how many regulars here watched it.

A big part of my childhood and adult life. Can't even imagine to count how many times I've seen him in on the screen.

RIP Sir Roger.

For what it's worth:

1. Connery.
2. Sir Roger. (1 until I got older).
3. Dalton.
4. Craig.
5. Bronson.
6. Lazenby.

• Like 1

I think that even in death Sir Roger's mention seems to dredge up the Best Bond debate. It is one of those things that exceeds the Atari vs Commodore computers and IBM compatible vs Apple fan boy debates.

He was an icon that played an iconic character, and the lights dim for yet another great. RIP Sir Roger!

8 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

For what it's worth:

1. Connery.
2. Sir Roger. (1 until I got older).
3. Dalton.
4. Craig.
5. Bronson.
6. Lazenby.

That would be my ranking as well, but honestly, I never saw Lazenby.

2 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

It is one of those things that exceeds the Atari vs Commodore computers and IBM compatible vs Apple fan boy debates.

True