All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] WannaCry

tthurman

That's crazy! Funny how a small exit condition can ruin all those hours of hard work, huh hacker community?

Just another reason why it's a good idea to keep that machine updated. Just let it do its thing on patch Tuesday. :)

They did drop a couple big names there, FedEx was the one that probably surprised me the most.

I certainly have an XP VM, but I only use rarely. Looks like it'll be even more rarely now.

8 hours ago, Adultery said:

They did drop a couple big names there, FedEx was the one that probably surprised me the most.

Yeah, just got an email from FedEx about service disruption....pretty amazing!  I was running some instances on VM's, but XP combined with Java in a VM is instant fail....well for my application it was anyhow.

On 5/13/2017 at 1:04 PM, Adultery said:

Just another reason why it's a good idea to keep that machine updated. Just let it do its thing on patch Tuesday. :)

Well given this was a backdoor left open for "certain" particularly nosy departments, the best we can do is follow Adultery's advice by keeping things patched when microsoft realizes there's a leak.  The best solution; nope, but it's all we currently have.....so it seems!

• 2 months later...

Funny twist to the story... The kid that stopped the threat that would have crippled millions of computers just got picked up by the FBI today in Las Vegas for some other hacking incident before he started working"for good".

Way to go America! Fill those prisons up!! Lol!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-arrest-idUSKBN1AJ2IC