All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Printed mini-bartop

tthurman

It's pretty cool, but come on, Todd?? A guy that uses saws, drills, wood, PVA, Glue guns, clamps, sanders etc

May be i'm the dickhead here, but doesn't it seem like cheating? Just a lil bit?

And what happens when the worlds biggest EMP is dropped? Can't print stuff now! Who is relied upon then? You know who ;)

People that know how a saw works, people that can use a manual drill, people that can construct things without a computer instructing them how to do it.

I just thought it was cool to see something like this being printed because it is rather large for being produced via this method.  The size limitations required he utilized some mechanical attachment designs that aren't necessarily associated with a 100% printed end product, which I thought was original. 

For the money, I would have picked up the GRS solution, but I do believe this fellows design s a bit more SFF than that (albeit a lot more work).

There's people in my office with 3D printers (they have a club), they are all pretty good about requests too. The quality of what comes out really depends on the materials you use and the quality of the printer.

I got the VP of Development making me a mini NES for the price of materials right now. I wish I had one of my own, but having access is just about as good with none of the overhead. All I gotta do is dig up the plans for them.

Just snagged a new Pi 3 B on eBay for $25 w/ free shipping... So it's time to start thinking about building something. A bar top would be cool if I can find the plans on Thingverse... Then I can build a "boom box" with the v2 Pi I have. This mini-computer-cheap-DIY thing is really contagious. You can build just about anything you can imagine nowadays!

I agree Adultery!  I've built a lot of stuff already.  4 Kodi boxes to stream movies from my home server.  3 RetroPie's (1 in an NES case and 2 in a tiny Sega Genesis USB hub!).  I'm thinking about building a handheld RetroPie, like a Gameboy, but I don't know if I can do it.  I might have to buy a premade shell since I don't have the 3D printing capabilities.  Speaking of which, if you have one of those (3d printer) the world is open to you.  However, I still can't justify the cost of the thing plus materials for simple hobby work.  It's just too expensive.

17 hours ago, Adultery said:

Just snagged a new Pi 3 B on eBay for $25 w/ free shipping... So it's time to start thinking about building something. A bar top would be cool if I can find the plans on Thingverse... Then I can build a "boom box" with the v2 Pi I have. This mini-computer-cheap-DIY thing is really contagious. You can build just about anything you can imagine nowadays!

Can you give a link for that $25.00 eBay buy?

I have been thinking of getting one to tinker with too. $25.00 may be too tough to pass up.

She only had one unfortunately, open box. They pop up on eBay cheaper, you just gotta get lucky. I happened across it when I was thinking about making a RetroPie from a TV reading another thread and jumped on it since it was cheap.

You can get a new one for about $35 though, which is also worth it. I really didn't need the box or the kit, just the board. I think my first Pi was about $45-50 when they were new. The Pi 3 B just dropped from $55, and I suspect it will continue to go down in price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CD5VC92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_otkfzbMTPDQE7

If you're not thinking of emulating some of the more power hungry systems like N64/PSX... you can actually emulate everything 90's (Sega Genesis/Megadrive, SNES) and older on a PiZero.  They're only $5.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:55 AM, hansolo77 said:

If you're not thinking of emulating some of the more power hungry systems like N64/PSX... you can actually emulate everything 90's (Sega Genesis/Megadrive, SNES) and older on a PiZero.  They're only $5.

Nah, I think the additional power and features the Pi3 has are worth the money.

@Adultery OK, I broke down and ordered me a Raspberry Pi 3...so no need to watch for deals (thanks for the offer though). I haven't decided what to do with it beyond retropie, but I have not ruled out going all hamm and doing a table top kit like this. After the great help I got with my joystick referb, I am feeling pretty confident that I could pull it off if I go that route.

Well, it starts with a cool case. If you don't know someone with a 3D printer, this is the next best thing. :)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/495376856/super-tinytendo-v2-raspberry-pi-3-case?ref=related-1#

• Like 2

That's all nice and all.. but you have to be careful.  The Pi3 gets really hot.  You'd be ahead building something with more room for it to breathe in.  If you bought just the Pi, you're gonna wanna go back and buy (or order online) a set of heatsinks.  They're cheap but worth it.  One word of advice:  BACKUP.  When you're playing around with it, makes lots and lots of backups of your SD card.  Trial and error.  Do something, see if works and you like it.  If you do, backup and try adding something else.  Don't like it, restore the backup.  That's how I got to where I am now with mine.  It really is a lifesaver.  Just like saving in games... going somewhere underleveled means easy death.  If you didn't save before hand, you're SOL and gotta start waaaaay back.  :)

It's not my first rodeo, got 2 heat sinks for like $2. I got a fan on mine too that runs on GPIO. No heat issues there!