All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Atari Logo

tthurman

Man can you guys imagine what the world would be like if Atari suddenly rose from the ashes, and came out today with a Jaguar-like console to compete with the Xbox One and PS4?  Just out of nowhere, and with it brought a renaissance of gaming?  It'd be awesome if Atari suddenly just came out with a whole bunch of HD remakes of all their games.  Secret codes or unlockables to play the originals... I'd be the first one to buy one.

50 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

To be released 6/20... The Art of Atari Poster Collection.

This was supposed to be released in April, but delayed apparently.  I got it as a companion piece to the Art of Atari book you posted about (which is excellent BTW).

The book; and the poster art one too, are mostly related to the 2600 box art.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but just realize if you grab them the only arcade related stuff is largely based only on the marquees.

1 hour ago, hansolo77 said:

Man can you guys imagine what the world would be like if Atari suddenly rose from the ashes, and came out today with a Jaguar-like console to compete with the Xbox One and PS4?

I keep thinking SEGA will do this, but I'm afraid ATARI is to defunct....well until someone holding the trademark sees differently!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tthurman said:

I keep thinking SEGA will do this, but I'm afraid ATARI is to defunct....well until someone holding the trademark sees differently!

Atari is the original though (well, depending on who you ask).  Atari is the reason we have games today.  They established the market.  To have them come back all Phoenix style would be awesome.  Sega is still around to some degree making games.  I guess the same is true for Atari too.  And while both makers did release "flashback" consoles, I think Atari could really be great again if they just tried.  The Jaguar was just a system released ahead of it's time.  And their controller sucked.  :P

I was watching a GDC talk by David Crane (Pitfall). He explained that the Atari 2600 was designed only to play slightly more advanced games than Pong. The way it works if you have two user "sprites" and one "ball" (read: pixel) on any one scan line. It was really just meant to be a Pong+ machine!

Happy accident for Atari man.

It was amazing back in the day; I stood in line for hours at Sears just for five minutes of space invaders, but yeah, it was surpassed quickly by the computers released shortly following it.  I recall how pathetic Pac-Man was, and Missile Command; with that awful, and stiff joystick......oh boy!  Without them though, I'd never played far superior versions on our Trash 80 CoCo.

Power to the Pong:wub:

• 3 months later...

All Sega has to do is re-release the DC. It was too far ahead of its time. How many of you would pre-order the second it was announced? Look how fast the paltry NES Mini and SNES Mini sold out - now imagine a full re-release DC, that runs original GDI discs and had a digital download store! Off topic i know but damn, why don't these companies do it properly! ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DazzleHP said:

All Sega has to do is re-release the DC.

Indeed

Given the Atari announcement, how long will it be until SEGA joins the fray?  SEGA is arguably the greatest arcade manufacturer of all time, and this most certainly spilled over into consoles and the PC.  It only makes sense they would capitalize on the retro rebirth too.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 7:41 PM, tthurman said:

Indeed

Given the Atari announcement, how long will it be until SEGA joins the fray?  SEGA is arguably the greatest arcade manufacturer of all time, and this most certainly spilled over into consoles and the PC.  It only makes sense they would capitalize on the retro rebirth too.

I'd like to think so, but their absolute disregard to western fans lately has me concerned. I'm of course talking about PSO. Us loyal fans in the west waited 8 years for a sequel, then they made one, but for Asian audiences only. The most loyal of us still jumped through hoops to join in, i know i did for a couple of years :P And they promised a western release - 4 years ago.

So it seems that the Sega we all once knew (at least to me) is a lost cause, and they will keep shooting themselves till they are dead. After they release Sonic 27 that is.

Scuse that, i went a bit dark there! DC re-release!!!! WOOOOOOO :D

• 9 months later...

I started collecting retro metal signs a few years ago, and while I can't say I've ever seen this one, I immediately thought you Atari heads here.

A bit pricey IMO, but cool!

I'm not sure about this one as I haven't seen it before, but Hobby Lobby has been having many retro signs like this over the years, which they run on sale every couple of weeks for 1/2 price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-2600-ARCADE-GAME-METAL-SIGN-Quality-VINTAGE-LOOK-VIDEO-PINBALL-AMUSEMENT/272980307223?hash=item3f8ee4ed17:g:2wMAAOSwCMFaMCTN:sc:USPSPriority!37932!US!-1

Before I buy anything like that, I need to gut my office and decide on a theme. I have all sorts of stuff to go up on the limited wall space (dragon art, Halo and Marvin the Martian posters, some Marvel stuff, etc.), Marvin, Pink Floyd, Halo, Star Trek, Star Wars, dragon, and other collectibles to fill more than the few shelves I have available.