All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx crashes and gives error message.

methodman

My computer stopped shutting down and so I went to the power settings to fix it.l  I then got harddisk errors so that Windows 10 scanned it and removed GameEx and Hyperspin off my desktop.  When I went to run Gameex later that day.  It crashes and gives me and error.  I forgot where the ini file is but I sent you the log.  Thanks so much

log.txt

gameex.default.ini

Hey methodman,

The log says that the crash is happening when it tries to load the SNES config. You could start by checking over the config in that emulator and the one that follows.

If that does not help, the GameEx.ini can be found in GameEx\CONFIG. Please post a copy.

The log now shows that it is crashing at the next emulator (N64). I loaded your GameEx.ini into my own setup and GameEx did load up, so I am now doubting it is a config issue. It is indicating that it is trying to reference an object or location that does not exists or is null. Not much to go on unfortunately.

I suggest clearing your cache files in the GameEx\DATA folder. Find and delete any file that has an extension starting with of .dbcache. To make it easy you could go to the folder using Windows Explorer and use the search box to find *dbcache* and they will all come up. Then, restart GameEx. If it is a faulty cache file, hopefully GameEx will rebuild it properly.

Failing that, I suggest downloading GameEx again and installing a new copy OVER the existing copy. You do not need to back up any files, but I usually do just to be safe such as GameEx.ini, CustomMenu.ini (if you use custom menus), CustomInput.ini (if you save your input settings to a file), custom theme (if you have one). Installing over is essentially the same thing GameEx does when it auto-updates to a new version, so it's normally ok.

Feel free to report back at any point if anything acts differently or if you have any questions.

I looked right past the part about the HD errors. Yes, you should do a system scan to be safe. I would also scan the drive with a scandisk, chkdsk, or hard drive software on the off chance it is failing (which would be a bummer).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Happy 4th of July !! I got Game-Ex to work for Mame only on my games computer.  I don't know what's up with the emulators.  I was getting errors.  Now I have a second Gameex on a different computer and it is not showing where the mouse position is  and also the switch to minimize Game-Ex doesn't work Any ideas?