All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx General Questions

jimdeprado

Hello!

I have been using GameEx for about 2 or so months and had some questions that I just can't seem to figure out myself.  Any help would be appreciated.

1. Getting hiscores to work.  I had previously asked and was pointed to HeadKaze's awesome Mamecompiler64.  I have tried to use the autodownload feature, downloaded the files myself and a combination of the two.  I have completely uninstalled everything and re-installed. The latest error I am getting is:
    1.  Testing Diff Patch...
      Assertion failed: hunk, file patch-2.5.4/patch.c, line 343
      patching file src/emu/render.cpp
      This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
      Please contact the application's support team for more information.
      Finished!
      0 Hours 0 Minutes and 1 Seconds Elapsed.
  2. When I set up some of my console emulators, I cant figure out how to get the right game names to show up in the game list.  As an example, when I added the Atari 2600 roms, I went through the setup wizard and I selected "Use database name".  When I go to the game list, I get the rom file names and not the actual game names.
  3. I have been modifying the Arcade84 theme for my cabinet.  I remember going to arcades as a teenager, and it really brings back a lot of memories.  Anyway, the theme has a giant screen in the background and I was wondering if I could play videos on that screen.  If I can, can somebody point me in the right direction.
  4. Another theme editing question.  When the theme initially loads, the menu I have is transparent (i.e. you can read the words, but you can see through the list).  When I click on the list or use the arrow keys to select something on the list, the list is no longer transparent and has rows of blue that I can't see through.  Is there a setting where I can specify what the lists should look like.
  5. Lastly, I wanted to play around with Evolution but no longer can find the download file.  Is it still available for Alpha testing?  Can I sign up to be a tester?

Sorry for the multitude of questions.

Thanks, 

Jim

Thanks, 

Jim

Make sure you have the most current releases, or that they match if you are compiling an old source, i.e. mame0.XXXs.exe with the matching highscore dif, and in some cases of previous releases, the old tools.

As I mentioned in my previous response, I recommend you grab the files yourself, and place them in the directories MAME Compiler creates.  This ensures you are always using the latest versions of the source code, diff, and tools for the new releases, and in the case of compiling for a previous release, the correct files to do so with.

These are readily available, but I've linked them for your convenience.

FYI you can find the below here:

Source

mame0184s.exe

Build Tools 64 and 32

msys64-2017-02-05.exe

msys32-2017-02-05.exe

Kudos to MKChamp for the diff-files

It seems there have been some changes, so bear with me if this isn't 100%, as I haven't tested it with a current release

Grab the matching diff for the source you are compiling.  THIS MUCH MATCH YOUR MAME Source, and set.  If you've got an old set, then ensure you patch and compile the matching previous release!

If it's a newer release of MAME, then rename suppression_0184u0.txt to hi_0184.diff and place the file in the appropriate folder for MAME Compiler.

Now that your files are all in order, double check that you're pointing to the correct directories.  Once you've determined this is the case, you're good to go.

1:  Apply hiscore patch

2:  Compile

Without having a rig to test this on, this is the best mini-tutorial I can give, but I think it'll get you headed down the path to success.

I'll leave the themes and emulators questions to those more experienced in that area.

The first Alpha for Evolution has come to a conclusion.  Look for another release that will address any issues that where discovered, and very likely add features.  The first Alpha served it's purpose, and it was simply time to move on with what was learned from it.

21 hours ago, jimdeprado said:

Hello!

I have been using GameEx for about 2 or so months and had some questions that I just can't seem to figure out myself.  Any help would be appreciated.

1. Getting hiscores to work.  I had previously asked and was pointed to HeadKaze's awesome Mamecompiler64.  I have tried to use the autodownload feature, downloaded the files myself and a combination of the two.  I have completely uninstalled everything and re-installed. The latest error I am getting is:
    1.  Testing Diff Patch...
      Assertion failed: hunk, file patch-2.5.4/patch.c, line 343
      patching file src/emu/render.cpp
      This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
      Please contact the application's support team for more information.
      Finished!
      0 Hours 0 Minutes and 1 Seconds Elapsed.

As, tthurman asserted above, you MUST have the matching file versions to your MAME version. I don't know how many times i need to explain it, or how many times i need to give an example. It is very simple.

IF you have MAME 0.64, then you NEED 0.64 support files. If you have 0.43 MAME, then you NEED 0.43 support files. If you have 0.34 MAME then you NEED 0.34 support files.

Do i really need to spell it out, time and time again?? Coz that is what i seem to be doing!

But it's obvious, right?

Right?

39 minutes ago, Parka1300 said:

I'd love it if MAME was simple.

It is though. Learn a few command line parameters, match the rom set to the MAME version and you're off to the races. If you utilize the setup wizard that comes with GameEx it nearly does everything for you.

As for point 2 from the OP did you download the database file? Do you have the setup wizard set to remove text in parenthesis, et. al.? The advanced settings are where you can clean up your rom names. You'll have to do it for each emulator though.

• Like 1

I found that once you are "into" the scene, the entire process becomes much less daunting.  Initially however, I found it mind numbing and frustrating.  This is in no small part due to the vast number of releases, front-ends and lack of a official repository of sorts.  This leaves individuals to fend for themselves which in turn leads to all sorts of unknown variables out in the wild.  That's just how it is though, but once you find your way, it becomes old hat.  You just have to put forth the time and effort into researching it, and lots of trial and error early on.:D