All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Assistance with dmd video

thiago capalbo

On 23/10/2016 at 6:54 AM, sigma415 said:

Real DMD Video for "Batman Forever (Sega 1995)"
Not perfect :(  Scaled down from original Sega's 192x64 DMD

Also uploaded to FTP server (Other Uploads/sigma415/...)

Batman Forever (Sega 1995) [REAL DMD VIDEO] 0.1 sigma415.gif

Copy AVI file from ZIP into "C:\PinballX\Media\Visual Pinball\Real DMD Videos\" (maybe you have to rename the file according your needs)

Batman Forever (Sega 1995) [REAL DMD VIDEO] 0.1 sigma415.zip

Sigma415, I used your images in my real dmd vishay model lee-128g032b with pindmdv2 and I can not see through pinballx. :(
Pinballx video appears normal when I run pinballx, but the actual dmd videos of the tables do not appear for me.
I put it in the folder pinballx / media / visual pinball / real dmd videos
And renamed all the actual dmd files according to my need (table name and other socks).

Were few that I had to rename since they were practically with the same names.
But it still did not work for me.
Even put the other .gif and avi files to see if it worked and the result was negative.
what could it be?

I'm using pinballx version 2.31. Would you need some script or something of the genre to work? Can it be any configuration in my pinballx settings?  

Strange that the pinballx logo video is running normally.
This same problem I'm having with the startup videos (I can not do an initialization video).
what could it be?
can anybody help me!?
thank you all

15 hours ago, gtxjoe said:

if you enabled color for your real dmd, then you probably need to put the videos in the /real dmd color videos folder

Thank you for your return gtxjoe.

I managed to make it work.

But when I choose the tables in pinballx it hangs in the selection of tables and I need to restart the computer.

It seems to me that this occurs when I change faster.

If it changes very slowly it changes table but in a few seconds the pinballx hangs.

I think it's something in the dmd configuration.

In my log does not appear any type of error. What could it be?

Thank you

@thiago:

Maybe one idea: Did you enable "Use PINMAME in frontend" in PBX Config ?
This should be set to "No" for using the DMD video files.
If enabled, PBX tries to find DMD sequences in the ROM files. On my cab this also led to symptoms similar described by you so I disabled this feature. (and I like my edited videos much better than the noncut sequences out of the ROMs :)

PinMAME_DMD_Off.PNG

5 hours ago, sigma415 said:

@thiago:

Maybe one idea: Did you enable "Use PINMAME in frontend" in PBX Config ?
This should be set to "No" for using the DMD video files.
If enabled, PBX tries to find DMD sequences in the ROM files. On my cab this also led to symptoms similar described by you so I disabled this feature. (and I like my edited videos much better than the noncut sequences out of the ROMs :)

PinMAME_DMD_Off.PNG

Sigma415 - Thanks for your feedback and for your help!:rolleyes:
Unfortunately even with this option disabled (use pinmame in front end) pinballx is crashing and I have to restart my computer.
Or startup videos works normally. So I select to change the table is already practically locking.

I realize it hangs when you left the video image "pinballx" and return to a table that has the ˜real dmd videos˜.
I left it according to your settings and I was not successful.
I also attempted to disable the hide hide option but the problem persisted.
Could it be some dll problem or some other option in the settings on my pinballx?
I tried to enable the real dmd in settings also did not work. (Even though it would not be that option).
Sigma415, the configuration of your real dmd your position is how? Can this be?
Mine is the default setting X = 0, Y = 0, WIDTH = 900, HEIGHT = 300.
I installed codecs for the videos to work.
I tried the alternative to enable the VLC, Windows media player and k-lite mega codec pack as default because the configuration of the "movies and tv" application of windows 10 can not run the videos, but the other programs usually run the videos more Did not solve my problem with Pinballx.
I tried several options to try to solve but I still did not succeed.
Was there any other option that could be?
I am very sad because I reinstalled the pinballx and nothing to find out the error and I am looking forward to see those beautiful real dmd videos running on my pinballx.
any help is welcome. Please have any more ideas! I really need your helppp!:(

12 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

At this point, you need to attach copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files in reply to this thread.

It is also recommended that you use the LAV codecs found here.

Ok, Draco1962. I'm sorry I did not attach before.
Is that in reality from what I realized, in the file log.txt it does not present any error. I do not know if because when I lock the system on pinballx I can not play anything else on my computer. I can only restart the machine.
I installed these LAVcodecs that you forwarded to me but until now the problem persists.
I forwarded my log.txt and pinballx.ini file to get an idea.
Please, if anyone has an idea, it will be very welcome.
thank you

log.txt

PinballX.ini

Ohh Sadness! Trying hard and I could not solve my problem. When I remove the videos from the "real dmd videos" folder the pinballx normally works only with the non-real pinballx dmd video. But I really need to use the sigma415 videos. They are wonderful! I do not know more than I do Please, does anyone else have any ideas? :(:(

thiago,

1.) Is your PinDMD working correct inside the VP tables ?

2.) try to test my .avi files outside of PBX with the command line tool "XDMD_CMD.exe" which Tom provided for me:
https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/14689-how-to-send-videos-or-png-to-xdmd-via-command-line/

(Maybe you have to look for and install the XDMD dll files. My installation is too long ago to remember ....)

Will your system then show the videos on the PinDMD ?

3.) Another thing could be that you may have a problem with your multiple codecs installations.
I recommend to uninstall all codec packages and install ONLY the LAV codec mentioned by draco.

Above you mentioned: " ... Even put the other .gif and avi files to see if it worked and the result was negative "

What does this mean ? Which other avi files ?
You should ONLY copy the .avi files from my zip's into the folder "PinballX\Media\Visual Pinball\Real DMD Videos"
The GIF'S are only intended for preview in web browser, not for use in PBX.

4.) Another comment (which will not really help you): I have left may cab deliberately on Windows 7 and have no experience with PBX under Win10.
Maybe a search thru the forum for PinDMD and/or video problems under Win10 could help.

5 hours ago, sigma415 said:

thiago,

1.) Is your PinDMD working correct inside the VP tables ?

2.) try to test my .avi files outside of PBX with the command line tool "XDMD_CMD.exe" which Tom provided for me:
https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/14689-how-to-send-videos-or-png-to-xdmd-via-command-line/

(Maybe you have to look for and install the XDMD dll files. My installation is too long ago to remember ....)

Will your system then show the videos on the PinDMD ?

3.) Another thing could be that you may have a problem with your multiple codecs installations.
I recommend to uninstall all codec packages and install ONLY the LAV codec mentioned by draco.

Above you mentioned: " ... Even put the other .gif and avi files to see if it worked and the result was negative "

What does this mean ? Which other avi files ?
You should ONLY copy the .avi files from my zip's into the folder "PinballX\Media\Visual Pinball\Real DMD Videos"
The GIF'S are only intended for preview in web browser, not for use in PBX.

4.) Another comment (which will not really help you): I have left may cab deliberately on Windows 7 and have no experience with PBX under Win10.
Maybe a search thru the forum for PinDMD and/or video problems under Win10 could help.

Many thanks for your return Sigma415!

My pindmd is running normally with VP Tables and with FP. The pinball fx2 I still can not make it work with the freeze, but the other two emulators are working.
With regards to your .avi and .mp4 files, I'm able to see normally when I run directly with VLC.

The VLC application I left as default in windows 10, because the application recommended by windows 10 for viewing videos called "Photos and Videos" do not rotate the files. Error appears that the file is coded (I believe it is related to codecs). But even with LAV the application recommended by windows 10 does not run. So I put the VLC as standard.

But I also did the tests with windows media player and it worked normally when I run your .avi and .mp4 files directly, but by pinballx the error remains.

With respect to problems of several codecs I think it is not because I uninstalled all the codecs and only the LAV remained. I even refit the installations again and the error remained.

The gif files I removed all from the folder "real dmd videos, remained in the folder only the .avi and .mp4 files.
I had done testing on the folder with the gif files and without them to see if it resulted in some difference. But I removed the gif files because I knew that only .avi and .mp4 files are necessary for dmd to work.

In reality the real dmd display appears the video you created but as soon as the table changes it hangs. I can change a two or three tables, if I make the change in the selection very slowly, but soon after the pinballx already hangs.

When I run a table directly through the emulator VP dmd works normally.
What seems to me is with regards to the change of videos of the real dmd a little fast that locks the pinballx and the image in the real dmd stays locked even when I reboot the computer.

For a moment I thought it might be pindmd because in the device manager it does not recognize as "pindmd2" as in the installation tutorial. Only USB libusb appears ... But I do not think this is because it is in normal operation when I execute the tables by the emulator.

I am struggling to keep windows 10 because I am wanting to use kinect 2 in the future pinball and it only works with windows 8 or higher. So I am struggling to try to run through windows 10, but it really is very difficult.
And actually most people who own pinballx are running with windows7.

I'm going to test the .avi file from the command line. Is that I have tried several possibilities and I can not. It really is very sad and windows 10 is getting me down.

Sigma415, do not you remember if you needed any command script or other additional dll to run those videos? In your case was basically just put in the folder? Out of curiosity, are you running emulators with pindmd2?

I can not give up, but I really do not know where else to find this problem. I will try to look for something related to problems with windows 10.

Thank you very much for your guidance.

thiago,

as long as the REAL DMD AVI's cannot be played on your standard TFT easily with  Windows Media Player, it makes no sense to continue with PBX and PinDMD.
IMHO your system still has a codec problem which must be solved first.
VLC is no solution because VLC bypasses all those crazy Windows codec problems by using application internal codecs. That's the reason why so many people like VLC to solve their codec problems, but it helps only for videos on the desktop screen.

Maybe one hint: my avi's are coded using "Microsoft Video 1" codec (which is rated as a very compatible and problemless codec  ... seems not for Windows 10)
see mediainfo of example ACDC  DMD video.

Conclusion: You first must focxus on improving your Win10 system to play the AVI's with Windows Media Player outside of PBX, before continue troubleshooting with PBX and PinDMD.

Im pretty shure that this will solve also your PBX/PinDMD problems, but at this point I can't give you more hints. Google is your friend ...
Good luck.

ACDC.PNG

Thanks for the Sigma415 guidelines.

I think I misinterpreted you.

In windows media player your files usually work outside of the PBX. The files are listed as coded by the standard windows 10 tool for displaying photos and videos.

I did the test with windows media player leaving it as standard for displaying videos, even with it running your videos normally off the PBX, when I run the PBX the problem persists.

Today I updated all the motherboard drivers that could be outdated and updated windows 10 but that did not solve my problem.

I did the test converting your AVI files through the tool any video converter by AVI also and your converted videos worked normally by the standard application of windows 10, but when running on pinballx the error continues.

I'm not sure if it's really codec problems after all this.

It may be some issue of windows 10 incompatibility with real dmd videos and pinballx.

Another thing I realize is that my pindmd2 is not recognized with the name "pindmd 2" in the device manager. But I believe this is not a problem since it is working normally when I execute directly on VP and FP.

I tried to run Tom's XDMD_CMD file and it does not open in windows 10 even trying to run as administrator.

But anyway, I'll make a few more attempts.

Thank you very much for the strength of will and willingness to help me.
I wish you a great day.

It may be some issue of windows 10 incompatibility with real dmd videos and pinballx.

Not for Win 10, because you mentioned that PinDMD is runnig OK out of VP tables.
Did you search the forum for other Win10 related PBX problems ?
Don't know how many PBK users use Win10 AND PinDMD ...
Maybe you can ask Tom Speirs.

Another thing I realize is that my pindmd2 is not recognized with the name "pindmd 2" in the device manager.

That's OK, same in Win7

I tried to run Tom's XDMD_CMD file and it does not open in windows 10 even trying to run as administrator.

You have to call from command line with video filename as parameter , nothing will happen by only clicking the exe. Has no Win GUI.

3 hours ago, sigma415 said:

Not for Win 10, because you mentioned that PinDMD is runnig OK out of VP tables.
Did you search the forum for other Win10 related PBX problems ?
Don't know how many PBK users use Win10 AND PinDMD ...
Maybe you can ask Tom Speirs.

That's OK, same in Win7

You have to call from command line with video filename as parameter , nothing will happen by only clicking the exe. Has no Win GUI.

Thanks for the Sigma415 feedback! :)
I apologize to you, to Tom and to all the friends of the forum for the inconvenience.
I'm really limited on computer issues and sometimes I have to turn to you. But I hope it will not be an inconvenience to you, because I really only have to thank you.
But it's so sad that you see a job so well developed (your actual dmd videos) and I can not get them running on my virtual pinball. :(
I'll test that file for the command line as you guided me to see the results.

Thank you very much for your generosity in helping, Sigma415! 

2 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Just wanted to say a windows 10 update broke video playback for all kinds of apps recently but MS did release an update.

Tom,

Many thanks for your return! I congratulate you for your excellent work! :)
Please take me out a question?
I made the update of windows 10 yesterday to verify if it solved my problem but the problem persisted.
Do you think there is any other way to get these videos from the "real dmd videos" folder in PX or unfortunately in the Windows 10 version at the moment it will not be possible?
Can you tell me an alternative? :blush:
Sorry for bad English.
Thanks for your comeback and sorry for the inconvenience!
Have a great day!

Definitly sounds like a codec issue to me but there was a recent known issue with a windows 10 update but a fix is available. You will have to search about it, I cant remember the exact patch although I am sure a windows update should install the patched version by now.

Sigma gave you good advice if its a codec issue.

On 15/04/2017 at 5:56 PM, Tom Speirs said:

Definitly sounds like a codec issue to me but there was a recent known issue with a windows 10 update but a fix is available. You will have to search about it, I cant remember the exact patch although I am sure a windows update should install the patched version by now.

Sigma gave you good advice if its a codec issue.

Okay, Tom! Thank you so much for your return!
I'm doing research and trying to see if I can solve this problem.
I just have to thank you guys for the willpower to help.
If in the course I can solve my problem I put here how to solve it.
Thank you so much and have a great day!:)

On 15/04/2017 at 8:55 PM, Draco1962 said:

Draco1962,
I downloaded this update and could not install on my windows 10. But I just made a quick attempt. As soon as I have a spare time I will try to go further to check if I can get any positive results from this.
Thanks for your post.
Thanks a lot for the help.