All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[CLOSED COMMUNITY PROJECT] HD System and Controller Images

stigzler

848501_arcade_512x512.png

HD System and Controller Images Project

Like it says on the tin. Couldn't find this in the GameEx FTP, and with Evo around the corner, we need to also evolve our assets!

Project Status:

Done Total Systems Percent complete
HD System Images  165  248  67

Who's helping:

No-one!

How to help:

If you want to collaborate on this project, message me for access to the collaborative folder. Work to date:

HD System and Controller Images

Tracking sheet here:

Project Tracking

Again, email me if you want edit privileges. 

Guidance on image production:

• Let's not get into technicalities - just say the bigger (and higher resolution) the better. No upwards limit. Aim for 1080 height as minimum - a little upscaling allowed.
  • Obviously, no 600x400 images up-scaled to 4000x3000 unless you got some mega algorithm that makes them look crisp!
  • Transparency around the outside. Also, tidied edges to any images (no white edges on black units, for example). Just a 2-5 pix inner glow at a matched color would suffice.
  • The image file name must match the system name as per the spreadsheet

Very easy way to do it:

• Use gimp.
  • Use magic wand or lasso tool to select the edges of the system/controller. Invert selection then press delete. 
  • Once you've extracted your rough cut, use ScriptFU Layer effects (plugin here) inner glow, 5px, black or matched. That'll tidy the edges. 

"Why don't you do it all yourself?"

Because I'm juggling so many projects and you'll get a warm glow of achievement if you help out and contribute....

Not sure we can be that choosy if looking for HD images. Aesthetically, I always preferred top down angled, but with some systems you're pushed to get that view. 

Have a look at the examples in the link in the OP. I don't think it matters too much if they're at different angles, doesn't look too bad, introduces variety!

The Atari ST was a bit of a bugger (grey on a grey background!) but think the end result is passable..

Thanks @Draco1962. There were a few in there I could use. 

The folder on the FTP - is that from a pre-existing project? It's just that a lot of these images don't tie up to the systems list for GameEx and I was wanting to keep any 'final' folder tightly matched to the GameEx Systems list. It might be that we move these to another folder (e.g. "Raw Resources" or something?).

I realized that after I created the paths/folders. Unfortunately I can't rename or move it as I do not have that level of access to do so. I created a Raw Resources folder and copied the same files into it and will ask Tom to delete the one labled Systems.

• 1 month later...

Someone should probably have let me know about this project as I already created one a few years ago.

Me and Mike have already created HD versions of all the system images and logos but there is other graphical related work you could help with.

I've sent you a PM so we can coordinate future work.

(I've attached some montages showing our current work)

[SYS_IMAGE_MONTAGE].png

[SYS_LOGO_MONTAGE].png

Having these individual system and logo files available on the FTP would be great for the community. 

Just in case you aren't aware, the Sega AM2 logo is representative of the division that developed the Model 2 architecture and programmed many of the games for the Sega Model 2, but is not the official Sega Model 2 logo.

Sega-model2-logo.png

34 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

but is not the official Sega Model 2 logo.

Yes I'm aware of that. The only logos I've seen for Sega Model 2 or 3 are re-creations using the SEGA font. If you know where to source the official logos in good quality please post a link.

Not sure if you had the same source images as the montage doesn't give a size to reference. 

Yes, I noted that it was slightly different. Use it if you like, don't if you don't.