All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Help: PBX and the dB2s not starting problem

vogliadicane

Like some other people I since a long time encounter also the problem, that some (mostly newer) VPX tables are opened with an error for dB2s, so the Backglass is not started.

I tried so many things to find out what's wrong or at least a pattern, but with no succsess, so I ask for help here.

First: I know about the workaround with a modified dB2S sever from a thread here, but first it doesn't wok for me and second it's kind of laborious and it does not solve the basic problem just workaround.

My observations:

- this is the error, when it happens (see screenshot). So apparently it searches for a file extension only without filename.

- if I manually start a table from the command line interface exatly as it is setup setup in PBX everything works

Question: Doesn't PinballX just start the command as I did that in the CLI? If so, why does VPX not find the correct backglass file, when it finds it started from the CLI?

Tom, I urgently ask for help here, because now there are more and more tables, which are unusable for me and others with that problem, which is too sad. Please help.

PBX Error.jpg

VPX CLI.jpg

ok, I tried it, the backglass of a problematic table actually started - with a lot of flicker, but it started. ONCE

BUT: now it's getting even weirder: PinballX messed up my keys setiings; start game is set to enter instead of 1 and Plunger is set to Menu (?) instead of enter.

And the worst: it always does that now, also when I do not run task manager in background. So now PBX is completely unusable for me.

What the hell is PBX doing when starting a table?

Edit: the messed up keys were actually my mistake, I had set "auto configure" to yes, so this problem is solved, not the basic one...

and runnung task manager in background only worked once, but never again.

I'm running a 2 monitor system with a DMDv3. I don't have that many VPX tables loaded yet but B2S works fine. Give me a link to download a table you are having problems with and I will see if it works for me. I can try it later today.

PBX VP settings.PNG

• Like 1

It's working fine for me. I used Taxi (Williams 1988).VPX. Did you download Taxi (Williams 1988).directb2s and put it into the table directory?

I haven't done this stuff in 6 months and forgot to grab the ROM. The table crashed on me the first time :o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vogliadicane said:

yes, sure, my directb2s has the same file name as the table and is in the table directory, like I do this since a few years...

For me, I found some good solution, so for me everything is ok. And no, I won't post it here. Why? Guess.

Um why not?

8 hours ago, hlr53 said:

Hey dude, just trying to help. I have no idea what your skill set is? 

Oops, sorry I did not mean you at all. Just the other way round, I apreciate a lot that there are people trying to help.

What I do not at all apreciate is, that somebody, who has most possible info does NOT comment.

Yes the idea is to help the community, not punish the community due to a personal issue.  The one person may not have the answer as this is a lingering issue with PBX.  I have the same issue with Southpark.  I would also like to hear your solution as a fellow hobbyist in need of an answer just like you were.

If you found the solution help out the mass and dont worry about the one person that didnt answer you.

12 minutes ago, rablack97 said:

Yes the idea is to help the community, not punish the community due to a personal issue.  The one person may not have the answer as this is a lingering issue with PBX.  I have the same issue with Southpark.  I would also like to hear your solution as a fellow hobbyist in need of an answer just like you were.

If you found the solution help out the mass and dont worry about the one person that didnt answer you.

Is it this table? South Park (Sega)(1999)(Knorr)(FS-DT)(VP10) 1.2

I can download and see if it works on my system.

Sorry, its not personal that I have not responded. Just have not had the time. Not sure why you would hate me for that!?

It may be the new auto configure settings that are causing the problem. You may wish to turn off Auto Configure for VP and also turn off auto position BackGlass.

Otherwise your problem may just be that VPX is set to run full screen exclusive. This causes issues but you can turn off the setting that tries to focus the window.

You can see the command line in the log.

Just to make sure I understand is this an issue with PBX displaying the B2S file or VPX? Are you displaying the B2S file in PinballX too?

On my issue vpx work fine, the issue is when launching in pbx the backglass does not show for southpark.  

I'm not sure what pbx needs to make this work consistently but some tables need the b2s file name changed to rom name, while others are just good with matching file name to table name.

I am not displaying b2s in pbx as it shows the speaker grills regardless of how it's set at the table, assuming it uses default b2s settings in pbx.