All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Illegal Character in Database XML file

JSpradlin

I edited my database XML files by hand for Future Pinball, VP993, VPPM5, and VPX. I needed to change many occurrences of a couple of tags and figured doing it by hand would be faster than using Game Manager. After editing PinballX would just bounce me back into Windows once started. So I tried loading each database in the Game Manager. All of them loaded fine except for the VPX file. This database gives me an error about an illegal character in the file. Is there a quick way to locate a typo/illegal character, or am I stuck eyeballing the entire XML?

Yeah, if you try and do a replace, you'll take out something important. If you know RegEx, you can specify patterns and only search node strings. Gonna be tricky though.

Yeah I figured. I have an older copy from about a 3 months ago to compare it to. It's just missing more recently installed games (of which there are a number). It's a shame I don't have an easy way to just show the lines in the files that are different. I'm sure that can be scripted, but It would probably take longer than just eyeballing.

Update: Actually found an ahk script to do this. Hopefully that will make the process faster.

That's one alright. It should support & quot ; though, I'm surprised it's not properly escaping that.