All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Info screen

Gildahl

Did the order of things change in one of the recent updates?  In the game info screen the game description is now way down at the bottom...after Recommended Games and Other Systems.  So I now have to scroll way down to the bottom to see the descriptions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no one has answered, but I've confirmed that this did change.  If I just replace the GameEx.exe file with one of my recent backups the screen reverts back to the way its always been.  This is a pretty major change (moving game description all the way to the bottom).  Is this a bug or was this intentional?  If intentional, I just want to submit my vote for the old way, which I much prefer!

Yeah, it is generally suggested that when reporting a suspected error that you provide your support files (gameex.ini and log.txt) as attachments within your thread. 99% of the time we are going to ask for them. The longer we have to wait for them the longer it is going to take to help you figure it out.

Ok, here are the files.  There is a screenshot from 14.70 that shows what it looked like before (game description is visible immediately after primary menu). And then there is a screenshot of what it now looks like in 14.76 (you must now scroll way down to get to the game description). The gameex.ini file is the same for both (oh, and note the temperature too...which may be a record breaker for this date here in Massachusetts)

GameEx_14_70.png

GameEx_14_76.png

GameEx.ini

log 14.70.txt

log 14.76.txt

Hmmmm, I think this might be a base GameEx setting that is getting overwritten in realtime depending on the version. This would apply to both your Theme.ini and your GamEx.ini. Assuming you are using the exact same theme in both versions, i think one might be overriding the other depending on which you run.

How are you switching these two versions of GameEx when you tested this?

For instance, do you have two installations of GameEx, one with each version you tested?

Or, do you have one installation, and you switched out the .exe each time?

Did you perform any cache clearance between each test (if one installation)

If two (or more) installations are they on separate drives on the same OS, or different OS?

Excuse the 100 questions, but i need to ask them to get to the bottom of your query :)

I noticed the change after upgrading to 14.76.  To create the "before" screenshot, I just overwrote the GameEx.exe with the one from my 14.70 backup.  No other files are needed to revert. The same GameEx.ini file is in place in both instances.  I can switch back and forth at will between the two .exe files and the same difference is seen every time--very easy to duplicate--so it would seem to be some change in the compiled executable rather than a configuration issue.

Ah, this is a common misconception. With each GameEx update a lot of files get updated with it. They may look the same, and be in the same place, but they are specific to that release. Because of this i can't give a reliable solution to your problem. I was actually thinking you might be running the two different versions, on separate systems using the same configs. Then i might have had an idea as to what is going on.

Because of the switching though I can't honestly help you out (coz it opens a massive can of worms :P).

Someone might have a clue though.

GL Gildahl, i'll be keeping an eye on your progress :)

I think this is intended to display the Games in the Series and Recommended Games above the verbose description. 

You may want to submit a request in the GameEx Enhancements and Features Requests thread to add functionality to supress these specifically displayed items.

I'm afraid I don't follow.  The screenshot showing what it looked like in 14.70 is what it has looked like for at least the last five years...and I update pretty much every time there is an update and the screen format has never changed.  However, as soon as I upgrade to 14.76, the UI changes to look like the other screenshot.

I'm not sure where the "can of worms" is here.  I hope you don't think that I upgrade (or revert) by just replacing the exe!  That would, indeed, open a can of worms.  Yes, I did revert just the exe in one quick test just to see if it would "fix" the problem (and it did); but I certainly didn't leave it like that (I have since done a complete wipe of the GameEx folder and a full restore of 14.70--which has me back to normal while this gets figured out).

I'm also not sure what is meant when you say you "think" Games in Series and Recommended Games are above the verbose description.  I'm using one of the default themes, and I've never seen them above the description before.  Is it really normal for the description to be at the very bottom?  Could someone having 14.70 or earlier just look and see for me?  And I don't want to suppress these other lists, I just want them back where they've always been...which is below the description!

It has nothing to do with themes. I think you are majorly over analyzing what I am saying. Take out the "I think" from what I said. The Games in Series and Recommended Games are above the verbose description. I am validating what you have been trying to describe, nothing more or less.

This change also appears to have been in place since 12.74:

This is why I say it was intentional. If you don't like it, which I understand, then please submit a Feature Request to have it changed or allow for it to be a selectable option.

Ok, so what I understand you are saying is that in 14.74 the game description was intentionally moved from being above the lists like Recommended Games, Games in Series, and Other Systems to being below these lists.  This seems to be an odd "intentional" decision since I don't know the rationale that led to it--but I'll go with that and enter a feature change request.

Thanks...and sorry if I was a little huffy.  I know you're just trying to help :-)

Here's the feature request.

• Like 1

I was looking this over yesterday a bit too and I can see Gidahl's viewpoint. 1942 is a great example. After the options for looking at the cabinet, PCB, etc (if you have it enabled), it gives game reccommendations and then the game description. Well, there is a long list of recommended games before you get to the 1942 description. It's a bit clunky.

Thanks for putting up the request.

On 12/04/2017 at 9:42 PM, Gildahl said:

I'm not sure where the "can of worms" is here.  I hope you don't think that I upgrade (or revert) by just replacing the exe!  That would, indeed, open a can of worms.

That is exactly what i was asking, and you know it. I also think that is exactly what you are doing.

However at the moment i am speculating. I am known however to do my research, i hope you do yours.

@Tom Speirs Hey Tom, would you mind reviewing the change? Here's an example of why: When Iooking at 1942 on my setup, there are 36 titles under the Recommended Games section. That is a long way down before being able to see the description. I would prefer to see the description on the screen when it first loads, so when viewing some games (like 1942), the change feels a bit clunky to me as well. I like the recommended games option, but would rather to see it as a seperate sub-section under the game. Taking it a further step, having a config option under Mame to Hide the Recommended Games would be icing.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I have to agree with this one, Tom. Having it as an expandable option upon clicking on it, after the description, or an option that can be enabled/disabled would be much preferred. Especially within the Arcade Edition where less is better.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DazzleHP said:

That is exactly what i was asking, and you know it. I also think that is exactly what you are doing.

However at the moment i am speculating. I am known however to do my research, i hope you do yours.

I guess I shall refrain from troubleshooting from here on in and leave it to the experts.

• 1 month later...