All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Zinc / Zenith combination

KRC

Does anybody here use the Zinc / Zenith emulator combination.

I'm using Zinc as a seperate emulator entry on GameEx (Arcade Edition) but it's not launching. Its fully working outside GameEx.

I did a small write up a while ago on the Zinc Zenith combo but I feel thats no longer valid.

I'll upload my .ini files for your perusal when I get home.

Here it is:

I setup Zinc as a seperate emulator

Use Zinc 1.1 emulator and run games through the Zenith frontend for Zinc.

Get Zenith here

http://www.sovmax.narod.ru/zenith/index-en.html (NO LONGER VALID)

First off, get ZiNc and all the plugins from here

Now set a folder for ZiNc somewhere and extract ZiNc. Then move all your roms to the rom folder it created. Extract all the plugins (winterblast etc.) to the ZiNc folder as well. 

Now I hope you have some time set aside for this next part, its a doosy. Extract ZeNith to the ZiNc folder and launch it. Assuming you did everything correctly, it should launch and will show a list of games on the left of a nice gui. You can always download snaps for the gui from the ZeNith site as well. Now, Star Gladiator is my first game in the list. On the right of the gui, configure all the game settings, video and especially, the controls. You will need to do this for EVERY game. Video is generally the same the controls have to be done every time for every rom. You can launch a game with ZeNith just to double check the buttons match how you want.

Hooray! You have it all done. Now we try out a command line in GameEx. ZiNc will only run from a cmd line. ZeNith should have saved all your control settings for each rom onto a .cfg file. This can be edited but, I'm really not getting into that right now. 

Anyway, here is the command line we will use - 

zinc.exe [ROM] --use-slow-geometry=yes --renderer=renderer-ogl.znc --use-renderer-cfg-file=zenith-renderer.cfg --controller=controller-winterblast.znc --use-controller-cfg-file=zenith-controller.cfg --roms-directory=.\roms

When setting it up as a emulator, use the ZiNc rom directory that is in the ZiNc folder you set this all up in. If not, non of this will work.

To be honest I think Zinc runs slightly better than MAME for these roms.

I've always preferred Zinc over MAME, but I'm just a little OCD.

I did get this issue resolved though, I checked through some old messages from celly, (thanks Buddy, wherever you are)

My Command Line was slightly off.

What I might do is use .MAP files and split the MAME rom set into different sections ie, Zinc, CPS, Nintendo VS etc..

Just to confirm, this is the correct command line for Zinc when using Zenith.

zinc.exe [ROM] --use-slow-geometry=yes --renderer=renderer-ogl.znc --use-renderer-cfg-file=zenith-renderer.cfg --controller=controller-winterblast.znc --use-controller-cfg-file=zenith-controller.cfg --roms-directory=YOUR ROM PATH

Example

zinc.exe [ROM] --use-slow-geometry=yes --renderer=renderer-ogl.znc --use-renderer-cfg-file=zenith-renderer.cfg --controller=controller-winterblast.znc --use-controller-cfg-file=zenith-controller.cfg --roms-directory=D:\Emulation\Roms\Arcade\ZiNc v1.1\Roms