All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] GameEx Startup Wizard Crashes

Draco1962

I can confirm this is definitely a bug with Setup Wizard as was reported in another thread. If I select Basic or Advanced and Next arrow from the beginning, I get all the way to the GameEx Online section and the Setup Wizard crashes before advancing the the HTPC/Multimedia Settings page. If I select HTPC/Multimedia Settings via custom - same crash.

Event Viewer shows the following:

Faulting application name: SetupWizard.exe, version: 1.0.6273.29695, time stamp: 0x58bc834e
Faulting module name: CompPkgSup.DLL, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5a1f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000346b
Faulting process id: 0x2d94
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2a28c5046b2ca
Faulting application path: C:\GameEx\SetupWizard.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\CompPkgSup.DLL
Report Id: f6bbb6dc-223f-410e-a3d8-c3ca42b66c08
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Detail View (XML):

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>100</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-03-21T21:46:37.456325400Z" />
  <EventRecordID>19183</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>MARVIN</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>SetupWizard.exe</Data>
  <Data>1.0.6273.29695</Data>
  <Data>58bc834e</Data>
  <Data>CompPkgSup.DLL</Data>
  <Data>10.0.14393.953</Data>
  <Data>58ba5a1f</Data>
  <Data>c0000005</Data>
  <Data>0000346b</Data>
  <Data>2d94</Data>
  <Data>01d2a28c5046b2ca</Data>
  <Data>C:\GameEx\SetupWizard.exe</Data>
  <Data>C:\Windows\System32\CompPkgSup.DLL</Data>
  <Data>f6bbb6dc-223f-410e-a3d8-c3ca42b66c08</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data />
  </EventData>
  </Event>

GameEx.ini

SetupWizard.log

log.txt

I wonder if this is somehow related to my issue as well which I reported in another thread. I get an error that states something about a path error but Gameex won't even launch for me. I am thinking it is somehow related to the Setup Wizard which is the only place that I know of that deals with reporting or inputting of paths. 

I was trying to make some sort of connection with all of this. I can't help but to wonder if it has something to do with that update. After RedDog fixed my initial problems, I had about a week video game bliss. Felt like I had just given birth to healthy twin boys then I do the update and Not to long after, I can't get it to even run.

It may be coincidence but I do know one thing, if I ever get it back running, I will disconnect my arcade setup from internet altogether. If it ain't broke, I wont fix it. 

Isn't that the file that taps onto the Windows codes? Do you all have LAV codec installed? Are there any Windows updates waiting?

I think this is a Windows update issue and not GameEx per se.

Update: You may have to Wait for MS to fix it, and rumor is the fix is already in the insider betas (I just googled the DLL and saw its also affecting HD Homerun).

Got the most recent Windows 10 updates and have been running the LAV codecs, although those should have no play in the Setup Wizard crashing.

EDIT: I get what you are saying about the dll file. If I need to make a change to anything HTPC related I can edit the .ini manually until MS issues a fix 

3 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Got the most recent Windows 10 updates and have been running the LAV codecs, although those should have no play in the Setup Wizard crashing.

Same here. In fact I updated the LAV codecs to the 0.69 today just in case. I was running 0.65. No change.

Just chiming in in case it helps.

I am able to cycle through the Setup Wizard in the Advanced mode from start to end without a crash occurring. I am using Windows 7 and GameEx 14.75. I do have the Lav Filters .69 installed (via the Shark 007 Codecs).

Looking more and more like a Windows 10 issue. Likely one of the more recent updates has caused a break for those of us on the latest-greatest.

KB4013429 appears to be the culprit from various sources. Per The Windows 10 Forums, "This cumulative update KB4013429 has been replaced by KB4015438 on March 20th 2017."

I will give this a try when I get home tonight. In the mean time, anyone else impacted may want to give it a go and report back if it resolves their issue with Setup Wizard. This may also resolve some of the other recent display-related errors if they are running Windows 10.

I believe there is an updated DL for the new version of the Setup Wizard that I didn't include in the install. Will be fixed shortly.

Edit: No not that and works fine for me here. Although I do suspect it is something to do with that DLL. HeadDVD.dll. Its been to known to crash the setup wizard in the past at that point.

Update: That code is still exception checked in the setup wizard. I think this is definitely a per user issue and not a bug we can easily do with.

From what I have been reading, that KB4013429 has been an issue for just about anything multi-media related and has impacted various 3rd party apps, but does not appear consistent in its impacts. 

I have the latest LAV installed, but still a no-go for me. Hopefully someone will update to KB4015438 and report back as to whether or not this resolves the issue for them. I will give it a go tonight after work.

9 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Looking more and more like a Windows 10 issue. Likely one of the more recent updates has caused a break for those of us on the latest-greatest.

KB4013429 appears to be the culprit from various sources. Per The Windows 10 Forums, "This cumulative update KB4013429 has been replaced by KB4015438 on March 20th 2017."

I will give this a try when I get home tonight. In the mean time, anyone else impacted may want to give it a go and report back if it resolves their issue with Setup Wizard. This may also resolve some of the other recent display-related errors if they are running Windows 10.

Well, there is some good news. The KB4015438 Cumulative update for Windows 10 fixed the issue. I made no changes to the installed LAV filters (which are the ones you have linked here anyway). I am able to access the HTPC/Multimedia section in Setup Wizard.