All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Weird problem

ClassicGMR

[SOLVED by uninstall/reboot/reinstall of GameEx]

I booted my PC today thinking I'd play some games and start my vacation off properly! :)

So I loaded GameEx but nothing happened. Here's what I experience:

- GameEx kinda loads. It hangs at the splash screen. My arcade ambiance starts playing but it just hangs there. Not one keypress works. ESC doesnt get me out. Up/Down and enter do nothing so there's no actual menu in the background running. I have to hold ALT-TAB and close GameEx to get out. I downloaded the most recent GameEx and installed over it. Same issue. I changed the layout to a default GameEx layout. Still does it but now I get a black screen instead of the splash logo. Here's the weird thing - if I leave it alone for a few minutes it starts the screen saver and shows me MAME clips like always. I hit a button to go back to the menu like you are supposed to do and it goes right back to blank screen with ambiance.

Nothing in the logs looks weird. I re-ran the setup just to make it save the settings again. Files get corrupted it happens. Nothing changed. I'd really hate to uninstall and reinsatall but that's my next step. Does anyone see anything I missed before I go the long way around? I have tried this using Hide Desktop set to HIDE and NO. Both do the same thing. I noticed that either way it is set GameExHideOS is ALWAYS running when GameEx is. I assume that's normal. 

log.txt

GameEx.ini

I guess one day I will learn to be able to look through ini files and know what I'm looking at hanging out here on the forums for a while. Otherwise, it all may as well be French to me but I am picking up bits and pieces along the way.

I am in a similar boat. I just started my vacation and all I could see myself doing was slipping back into my college days and really working out my Gameex library on my new cabinet. I updated to the new version involuntarily (it just started updating when I booted up Gameex). At first I panicked because I immediately thought of the pain I went through as a noob to build the cabinet, install all the parts, build the PC and setup Maximus Arcade then Gameex since Maximus Arcade wasn't working out. It was my first time doing any of this kind of stuff.

So when my well-working Gameex started updating, my first thought was to stop it somehow but I was afraid that stopping it may corrupt something so I let it proceed. Things seem to operate okay immediately afterward but now I get "Sorry. An Error was encountered" and I get some sort of log list below this.

Thankfully, my Gameex Arcade Edition still boots up properly but I am afraid to even use it because I am concerned that it may start changing on me somehow like the Standard version did so I will wait until that's fixed.

Anyway, it sounds like your errors began before the update which is even more peculiar. Did you make any other changes to your PC recently? Maybe try a system restore if you did. Hopefully, you have better luck than me.

Nah I did all that. I'm pretty proficient with my GameEx setup and I'm a computer tech on the side so rollbacks, uninstall updates... I do that stuff automatically. This is either a plugin that no longer interacts with GameEx correctly or my setup is corrupted someplace (I think).

I found another weird piece to add - running the full BASIC runthrough of the Wizard is crashes on HTPC/Multimedia Settings. It always crashes after I hit the next arrow on the GameEx Online page so I tracked it down via Custom and loading every screen individually. This is the ONLY setting page that crashes on my PC. I deleted the Setup Wizard and reinstalled GameEx again to install a new copy of the program. Still crashes.

My startup doesn't even load the beginnings of a menu. I get either a black screen or the GameEx splash logo, background ambiance and... that's it.

I gave up and uninstalled GameEx completely, rebooted, reinstalled and threw my old GameEx.ini file back into the proper directory. GameEx loads and runs fine now. Had to be something stupid and corrupted on my end with either GameEx or Windows 10.

The setup wizard crash is still persistent but that has been opened in a new thread by Draco so I will mark this out as SOLVED by uninstall/reinstall.