All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAME Software Lists only show fist game in list

JanGunheD

Both files attached :-).

How/where can I click "Update List"? I always wondered that anyway, the only way I can update the whole Mame-List is to confirm when GameEx asks me if I want to update the list, but I never found a button to do that manually.
Anyways, that only updates the MAME Arcade/Machine List and not the Software Lists. I tried it anyway and it did not help.

It is always the first game in the list that is still there, so maybe it is some string parsing problem between two game entries? I also attached one software list as a reference.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

c64_cart.xml

56 minutes ago, tthurman said:

There is no official support for software lists currently.  At some point this will change, but the current emulator support isn't intended for this purpose, at least to my knowledge.

@tthurman Actually, the instructions in the Setup Wizard do say something about sofware hash files for Mame, but this is the first time I have run across it. I am not familair with them at all either.

@JanGunheD I am curious. How did you generate the software list hash file c64_cart.xml? Since the time the lists were being displayed correctly, did the Mame version you are using change at all or just the GameEx version?

I personally use mapfiles to control the game lists for emulators as the format is super simple. They are just a txt file formatted to list the rom file name and the title name to be displayed in the list. For example, for NES, here are a few entries from the NES.map file:

10-Yard Fight (U) [!].nes "10-Yard Fight"
1942 (JU) [!].nes "1942"
1943 - The Battle of Midway (U) [!].nes "1943 - The Battle of Midway"
720 (U) [!].nes "720 Degrees"

15 minutes ago, RedDog said:

I am curious. How did you generate the software list hash file c64_cart.xml? This is the first time I have seen anyone use them. The instructions in the Setup Wizard say that they are appropriate for Mame (when Mame is configured as an emulator is my guess; Mess allows for this, right?).

I personally use mapfiles to control the game lists for emulators as the format is super simple. They are just a txt file formatted to list the rom file name and the title name to be displayed in the list. For example, for NES, here are a few entries from the NES.map file:

10-Yard Fight (U) [!].nes "10-Yard Fight"
1942 (JU) [!].nes "1942"
1943 - The Battle of Midway (U) [!].nes "1943 - The Battle of Midway"
720 (U) [!].nes "720 Degrees"

They're in the hash folder if you download MAME from mamedev.org They can also be viewed here --> https://github.com/mamedev/mame/tree/master/hash

Softlists are removable media for consoles, computers, etc. Launching them is basically the same as Arcade games you just need to specify the machine first (mame64 nes smb1) or (mame64 genesis sonic), (mame64 snes ctrigger) The hash files have the set name MAME expects plus other information.

What you're proposing is the way people use stand-alone emulators with no intro romsets or goodsets which is not what the OP is doing.

2 minutes ago, B2K24 said:

They're in the hash folder if you download MAME from mamedev.org They can also be viewed here --> https://github.com/mamedev/mame/tree/master/hash

Softlists are removable media for consoles, computers, etc. Launching them is basically the same as Arcade games you just need to specify the machine first (mame64 nes smb1) or (mame64 genesis sonic), (mame64 snes ctrigger) The hash files have the set name MAME expects plus other information.

What you're proposing is the way people use stand-alone emulators with no intro romsets or goodsets which is not what the OP is doing.

@B2K24 Thanks for the info on the hash files. And I was not proposing anything. I was showing how simple map files are set up in case that format would be helpful for the OP.

Since you are familiar with hash files and sound like you understand their use, perhaps you can provide a suggestion to the OP?

I just did a test setting up Nintendo and pointing it to nes.xml. It showed over 4100 on the listing. It's working great here now that I figured out the command line :)

Do other lists give you the same result JanGunheD?

Edited by B2K24
figured out command line

Hi,

Yes software lists are supported via the XML. I can duplicate the issue with that XML but not with others here Maybe something changed in the format with a MAME update. Its not to do with the latest GameEx. I suspect you updated MAME too? I will take a look.

• Like 1

Yes, I always checkout the latest master from GIT and compile it, but I did not see any change in the XMLs in GIT. But speaking of GIT, it might be a CR/LF problem (linux/windows), as GIT sees not difference in those cases.

The last visible change in GIT was 1 year ago however.

2017-03-20_09h52_33.png