All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

New GameEx promo vid

stigzler

@Tom Speirs - Nice work on the new promo vid -covers both GameEx's and the online stuff nicely. 

One though though - GameEx arcade is up first and it's not very clear that this is a 'stripped down' version of Game-Ex optimized (via being minimized!) for arcade cabs etc....

My worry is that people new to FrontEnds looking to make a commitment will see this and if they are looking for a more featured FE may be put off by the trimmed down features of GameEx Arcade. 

Of course, you could always tell me to mind my own business; but, being a fan-boy, I'd hate for new users to go elsewhere on a misunderstanding!

btw - nice intro - did you do that? Blender?

Thanks for your thoughts buddy. I will give it some thought myself. I like to have something fresh though so that is part of the reason.

I put the video together but I didn't do the templates. Still took me a while though. I need to get up to speed with the latest software. I just use FFMPEG and VrirtualDub and it probably takes twice as long in the end.

It's not criticism by any means. More just wishes for people to get the true scope of GameEx on initial sight of the vid. 

Know what you mean about the software. Took me an age to get a decent-ish setup on my ageing computer. To make my CPWizBiz promo, settled for:

OBS Studio (great for multi display/window recording)

Shotcut for editing (although started to find it's limitations towards end of making that video) - good for fades/audio dubbing/cutaway etc. 

Did find that KDen Live (longer heritage + better features) has been ported over onto windows from linux. Had a quick play around with it and seems really good, but not sure how stable it is given the early port. In active dev.

I think GameEx AE should be first. It's gonna help sell your product. It really looks great on a cab, it's more of what I suspect the future of FE's is gonna be, so long as it doesn't get over-developed with features.

/my 2c

6 minutes ago, Adultery said:

I think GameEx AE should be first. It's gonna help sell your product. It really looks great on a cab, it's more of what I suspect the future of FE's is gonna be, so long as it doesn't get over-developed with features.

/my 2c

+1 to this. I like the eye candy and the overall lack of fuss. 

OK, so I will chime in here.

When the video starts, it says 'GameEx' in cool transformer looking letters and sounds and then moves into the GameEx Arcade portion, but the video doesn't tell you it is GameEx Arcade. I think the average user will not realize it is highlighting the Arcade version. I think it is important to diferentiate the two versions. You might consider putting an overlay at the top or bottom of the screen that says 'GameEx Arcade Edition' or 'GameEx Standard' when it is showing that portion of video.

The next thing I noticed was that the screens for the individual Mame games look fantastic. For a few moments, I thought to myself 'Wow, how can I set up mine to look like that!?!?" Once I figured it out, I came to realize that those fancy pages make the rest of the theme look a bit ho-hum. I don't have a good suggestion on how to remedy this other than having fancy video backgrounds made for the start page and individual consoles, which is no small order itself.

I also thought the video was too long. I ended up jumping forward and back to look for different content and I can easily see others doing the same. I am not sure people will sit through the entire 17 minute video. I think it would be enough to show an emulator screen with a few different views. You could also bullet point some of the lesser used features instead of showing video on them.

Anyway, hope my thoughts/suggestions are helpful.

I think once we get some of these video theme people looking to use it, the themeing will get much better. We just need those people to take notice. :)

Your suggestions are legit@RedDog !

2 hours ago, Adultery said:

/my 2c

agree

I really liked the GameEX Evolution video. The fast music and different things cycling through very fast was really cool. Also agree with a lot of what RedDog has said as well.

I think fast pace and good music/theme is the key.

What if you could do a split-screen video where GameEX takes 50% and GameEX AE takes other 50% of space all in 1 video. Add the fast pace and it might be an idea worth going with.

Maybe cut between the two? With an overlay id'ing whether it's GE standard or GE Arcade. You'd hopefully capture both markets then. This is the danger - tbh if I was new to GameEx and just saw the GE Arcade bit at the start, I'd have moved onto another frontend - not because GE Arcade is lacking but more because I'd be looking for a FE more akin the GE Classic. Other FE's (who shall remain nameless - aside from hyperspin) would have caught my eye more in this regard. However, I'm also very keen for people to see the true power and versatility of GE Classic. 

It's different strokes for different folks, but both GE versions cover all bases. It's just making sure people know this.

I'll also see if I can knock a vid together of GE Classic at work with 3 displays, custom lists etc... Hopefully that'll add to the showcasing..

Wasn't that Austin fella asking for some vids?

I have to agree with RedDog and Stigzler in retrospect. The video is a bit long and, with no differentiation between the two versions apparent, could be confusing to those unfamiliar with the product.

Perhaps GameEx first with some text showing off its features,  followed by AE, noting its slimmed down roots.

Or, separate videos for each. Keep in mind that the average viewer is going to be bored after 5 minutes, so get the point across quickly, and minimize the amount of the intro. They want to see the product more than the flashy graphics introducing it.