All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Dropbox - from Sprightly Dandy to Corporate Whore

stigzler

If that sounds a little strong, it's because it's meant to be. 

10 years of public dropbox links (i.e. images all over these and other forums and websites) no longer work. Dropbox just chose not to have them work anymore. Without any replacement or workaround.

I hope it rots in hell. 

Hope that's not too strong?

Google G Suite... unlimited cloud storage for $10/mo, and they won't change your links on you. Success!

Naw. Although I do rate google, they too are not immune to obsolescence. Im now going to serve everything from my home server. You can set up your own cloud with Resilio Sync for free. Also, ive written an app which allows drop box type context menus:

www.magoarcade.com/software/whosebox

Im guessing this may hit the tech headlines soon as loads of people learn that all their forum post images are no longer being served.

I prefer to encourage the use of the GameEx repository and/or the FTP for anything GameEx or PinballX related whenever possible because the 3rd party apps can make links obsolete with little notice.

As for personal use, I like OneDrive and Google Drive work fairly well.

I have NextCloud on my server, so I don't need it for my own stuff. Bought the G Suite for Plex because I can't afford another 3 TB for the server. But I hear ya.

@Draco1962 : Yeah, understandable, but I keep my code local and just put the finished product in the repo. I'm a non-sharing bastard with my source code. :)

I was promoted in December and am the director for my department now at the tech company I work for, so long 60 hour weeks abound.

We're moving all our clients over to AWS and setting up Ansible, plus 3 implementations a quarter... Just busy as hell. Add the new baby, there's just no time for fun right now, let alone coding (which I do all week btw).

But I still lurk, believe me!

• Like 1

Well they say that, but in my account it says unlimited. :)

Amazon has unlimited for $59 a year also, but I didn't jump on it because Plex can't access it.

I don't want to risk it. The amazon one does not sync like the other ones from what I have read.

I'm giving Resillio a spin right now. Thanks for the share. Looks really nice from what I can see. Very quick and since I am burning money on dedicated servers anyway makes sense for me.

Are there any good cheap (like maybe free?) online storage backup solutions?  I'd only want to backup my Server's primary OS drive (120gb) and my main computer's OS drive (40gb).  But I want something I can sync to nightly, and can have it automatically do some form of redundancy removal to keep space down.  With the cheapness of drives now a days, I feel like a massive crash is bound to happen and I want to be ready.  I have a 'seedbox' that gives me 1tb of space, but everything on their system runs in Linux and requires root access to install any 3rd party software they don't automatically provide.  Does anything exist for free to do 250gb or so data?

You would never be able to transfer that amount of data nightly, unless you have a massive connection to the inter-web.

I recall your exact setup, but do remember its a windows server of some flavor.  I would look into using an external drive, e-sata, usb etc., and writing a batch file using X-Copy, then MS task to schedule it to run nightly.

Yeah that's how I have it running now.  Windows Server does do automatic nightly incremental backups to a dedicated drive.  I'm just looking for something remote.  After the fire, I've become super paranoid something like that will happen again.  I wouldn't want to transfer that much data nightly.  Maybe 1 time, then set up something that would send any incremental updates.  No biggie, just curious.