All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx crashes at random, can not narrow it down

MoggFanatic

GameEx is crashing at random for about some month now. its very annoying and often. i tried different Skins and also installed latest video codecs. I tried different setup options in the wizard and looked in other threads with similar issues.
I can not narrow it down, but in the log there is this as the second latest entry:

Not Restoring Emulator Database From Cache: 1000

i don't know what to do next, please help

Thank You

Mogg

log.txt

GameEx.ini

9 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Change EnableTouchScreen=True to EnableTouchScreen=False in your gameex.ini, save it, and report back if this helps or not.

Hello Draco, thanks for your fast answere, i changed the setting in the gameex.ini but it did not solve the issue.

I did a new install of gameex to a new location and copied over the old gameexfiles. It now even crashes at start up after 56 seconds and not doing a thing and again:

11:36:56.9  09.03.2017:  Not Restoring Emulator Database From Cache: 1000

as the last entry.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

7 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Hey,

Could you please define what you mean by "Crashing"? What exactly happens?

From one second to another the screen is gone and the desktop is visible, this is instant. The icons are hidden then, as is the mouse. there are no gameEx remains running in the background.

it does happen mostly while scrolling through games with the wheel.

15 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Not too sure right now. I would try disabling all plugins. It could be lack of RAM but not sure.

I did not try to disable the plugins, before reading your message I did a clean install to my C: SSD drive and copied over my gameex files, but that did not change issue. but then i changed the gameex resolution from 800X600 to 640X288. 640X288 is my desktop windows resolution. i tried it now 2 times with a full reboot and it did not crash for the time i tested it, even scrolling very fast and changinging emulators and playing a game did not crash it. only thing is i do not see gameex boot up, loading databases, when windows starts, its just a blackscreen and by pressing the backbutton after 20 seconds or so the screen turns up.

i will test it further if this is the solution and will not alter a thing and will report back when i am 100% sure it is now not crashing and changing the resoution in gamees did the trick

19 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

I did notice you were running interlaced previously at 640x480 30hz. It shouldn't be an issue though.

After using GameEx for half an hour now today it did crash to desktop like before. The log looks a little different and also the last 7 minutes scrolling through games is not in the log.

Also i did notice that in the wheel some wheel logos are often twice displayed with one wheel logo that is not right and the other one is correct. when selecting a game to the game overview (manual marquee etc.) and switch back it does display the correct wheel-logos.

i will disable all plugins next and take a look.

Can it be that scrolling many games has something to do with it? i did take a look to half of my emulators games and did scroll fast with my trackball. should i monitor my ram?

GameEx.ini

log.txt

6 hours ago, Evilforces said:

Hi MoggFanatic!!!

Try to use a program like Driver Easy to make sure ALL your system drivers are up to date.

Windows updates don't update drivers to their latest version.

Are you using and AMD graphic card???

Hi Evilforce,

i did use "iobit driver booster" to update drivers, i also installed "all in one runtimes" but i will use "driver easy" as you suggested.

I do have a AMD graphic card, its the ARCADE VGA 5000 from ULTIMARC with HD5450 chipset and installed the drivers from the ULTIMARC website. The card is running in a arcade cab with 15Khz resoutions.

i did try a skin yesterday that was more text based without the wheel. i did not had a  crash to desktop in that session. i will test it further.