All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[NEWS] GameEx and GameEx AE updated

Tom Speirs

GameEx and GameEx Arcade Edition 14.72 have been released. This release contaiins updates and fixes to the Setup Wizard thanks to GameEx team member Ben Baker. In addition the Setup Wizard no longer runs as administrator. This allows network paths and mapped drives to be selected for path settings more easily. The release adds support for AAE (Another Arcade Emulator) for launching the majority of arcade vector games in place of MAME if desired. The GameEx process is now set as DPI aware fixing windows scaling issues on some setups. Finally this release fixes quite a bad memory leak when displaying video and image previews so an upgrade is highly recommended from the last few versions as this could cause GameEx to crash.

In other news I have been playing with the GPD Win and another Cherry Trail Atom CPU based system. GameEx runs very well on these systems. I tested some of the other popular front ends or at least the paid ones and they were pretty much unusuable on these new fanless systems. GameEx Arcade edition and GameEx lite also seemed to be running well with the system that only had 2GB of RAM although it was tested with a version of Windows I had created with NTLITE. The GPD Win is the latest handheld gaming phenomenon and the other cherry trail systems are in my eyes Raspberry PI killers. The Minix Z84-3 is under $200 US and includes a licensed version of Windows 10. In addition ASUS have a PC stick for just over $100. Although the ASUS stick has a slower CPU than the other systems and only 2GB RAM. Still GameEx seemed to run very well on it. In my testing these systems run a lot better at 720P resolution. So that is something to mention.

View the full article