All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Deadpool 2

tthurman

I saw the teaser yesterday when we went to see Logan. My girlfriend really enjoyed seeing Ryan Reynolds butt for a solid 20 seconds. Come to think of it, that was the best part of the movie. Seeing Ryan Reynolds' butt for 20 seconds.

It was good. It reminded me of a movie that came out about 10 years ago. I'll keep that bit to myself for now. The ending felt a bit rushed, too. The first 2/3 of the movie built up to a point, and then they were like "balls, we have to wrap thing up soon."

That's typical Hollywood though.  They were/are notorious for those types of endings and they suck.  Take any episode of any incarnation of Star Trek and you'll see what I mean.  Build, build build, then 10 minutes left.. oh well the solution is this thing we just made up that didn't exist in any other episode, and magically doesn't exist in any future episode either, but is the be-all end-all.  Ever wonder why they KNOW how to destroy certain ships by adjusting phaser/torpedo harmonics to match their shields, but never use it after the fact?  I hate that.  The same can be true in movies.  Like the Middle Earth movies.  They put so much effort into the first one, the other 2 just sucked because it turned into an exhaustive CGI fest to solve issues and make it pretty.  I mean, the goal was to destroy The Ring, but to have that be the absolute end?  They shoulda just took all the armies in there and done it out right lol.  But I loved the books, and mean no disrespect to JRRT.. I just hate how they did it in the movies.

About Logan.. don't spoil it for me please?  Wolverine has always been my #1 favorite character of all time.  Introduced from the FOX cartoons, then in the comics.  I followed Hugh Jackman's portrayal of him from the beginning.  There's nobody better to fill the role.  When I heard this was his last take, I was heart broken.  I just can't believe it.  I saw on "Live with Kelly" the other day Hugh saying he was sitting in the theater watching it next to Patrick Stewart, and the 2 of them had tears rolling down their faces.  I can't wait to see it.  But I'm not about to spend money like crazy like I do for Star Wars.  :) I'll see it eventually, hopefully in the theater.  But right now I'm saving to make a special date to see Beauty and the Beast with somebody.

10 hours ago, Kustom Kid said:

It was good

Glad to hear that!  While not quite the Wolverine fan our buddy han here is, I do like these better than the actual X-Men proper movies, and that's in no small part due to Hugh Jackman's portrayal of the character.

My wife like's them too, but ironically she can't stand Deadpool.  I think it has something to do with the fact I dragged her out in the rain on opening weekend, to a packed house.  Here it is February, and the air is on full blast in the theater, and everyone's still sweating.  Reynold's is a natural for this character I believe, and I think we'll see an overall superior end result for the second go around.  The only negative I had on the first one is that sometimes it really showed they we're working with a limited budget.  Now that they've seen the reception it received, I don't think they'll be so tight.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I didn't care for the first, so I think I'll skip the second. Too much language and violence. While I get that's Deadpools appeal, there's a way to do it without exceeding audience comfort threshold. Think kick-ass. I guiltily enjoyed Kick-ass, but Deadpool was just the guilt. IMO, the levity of comedy didn't do enough to sweeten the sour of language/violence. I needed more balance.

Obviously, to each his own.  From a personal perspective, I was surprised to see this movie selling out back to back showings.  It was elbow to elbow and I can't ever remember seeing a movie where so many people continually laughed. almost uncontrollably, throughout the movie.  I can honestly say if there was audience discomfort at the show I was at, it was by far the minority.

That said, my wife doesn't like Deadpool either, which is weird since she seems to like Reynolds pretty much.

I am anxious to see this installment as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 11:04 AM, tthurman said:

... I can honestly say if there was audience discomfort at the show I was at, it was by far the minority.

...That said, my wife doesn't like Deadpool either, which is weird since she seems to like Reynolds pretty much.

I'm a minority audience for sure. My language/violence limit is lower than most people who go to see movies like this. When I see a movie like this, I feel like I'm doing something bad. So for me, it doesn't pay off unless they tone it done or blow me away, like kick-ass (a movie I guiltily enjoyed, but wouldn't own). It's a conscience matter. It's probably an age thing too. I've grown out of the prolific cussing and nonchalance toward violence age group. My family culture doesn't promote these movie choices either.

So I guess I can thank (blame?) my mom for that.