All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Mat Mania

March 2017 GOTM Winner: Cynicaster - 1,116,700 (link)

Mat Mania
Mat Mania Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Cynicaster 1,116,700 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
2 RedDog 427,150 RedDog's Hi-Score Entry
3 patrickfx 215,250 patrickfx's Hi-Score Entry
4 Luigimaker 48,700 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
5 Floyd Turbo 27,650
6 ExedExes 22,400 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
7 millerbrad 19,200 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
8 rtkiii 18,700 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
9 hansolo77 16,250 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 11-30-2019

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Mat Mania:

ROMSet: MatMania
Difficulty: Medium
Tournament Time: 2:36
Unused: Off [All]
Cabinet: Upright
Service Mode: Off
Special Rules: None

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

Here comes an exciting game from the world of professional wrestling!  I've never been a fan of wrestling, but this game is pretty fun.  When I tested it to check the default switches, I found it quite enjoyable.  Hope everybody has fun competing in this game and in the high score competition!

Mat Mania – The Prowrestling Network, known in Japan as Exciting Hour - The Prowrestling Network (エキサイティング アワー ザ プロレスリング ネットワーク?), or simply either as Mat Mania or Exciting Hour (エキサイティング アワー?), is a 1985 Japanese pro wrestling-themed arcade game developed by Technōs Japan and published by Taito. It is a spiritual successor to the 1983 arcade game Tag-Team Wrestling, also developed by Technōs Japan, but published by Data East. It was also ported to the PS4 console in 2015.[1]

The game is played by one or two players (alternating in turns). It is recognized among game enthusiasts as the first of the genre to have achieved a high level of playability.[2] Further, the game aesthetics, sprite concepts & design, in-game theme music, and comical presentation have lent well in preserving it as a beloved arcade classic.

The game is presented in the guise of a televised pro-wrestling broadcast, the Taito Wrestling Association (Technos Wrestling Association in the Japanese version). The intro sequence and subsequent intermissions portray a disheveled pro-wrestling host, Cory (Nari in the Japanese version). His hair is unkempt and his sleeves rolled up as he manically announces the particulars of the upcoming bout.

The player controls a wrestler who makes his way through the ranks of the TWA, challenging various thematically colorful opponents, before finally challenging the champion in the fifth match. Upon ascending to the championship, the player is presented with a championship belt in a presentation ceremony. The player must then defend his title against the previous five opponents, drawn at random.

- Quote from Wikipedia

Here kicks off my first submit.  Getting it in early.  I've no experience with this (like most games), so I know this score will be easily defeated.  But hey, even if you don't win the GOTM, submissions count towards the overall, so it's still a win in my book!

Score: 16,250
Initials: HAN (there are more letters than 3, so watch out!)
Round: 2

0000.png

Updated OP, DB, RSS

<shakes fist furiously>

I knew you guys would beat my score!  AAAARRGH!!  :)  I thought I'd have 1st place for at least a week the way our competition has been of late.  Thanks for proving me wrong guys!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 1

Oh boy, wait until Cynicaster puts a score up.  He can, with ease, marathon this one. 

As for me, I'm crap at Mat Mania.  I never really got into it, I guess.

Oh! Sorry, stage 18, for a better score then last night now it's 215250.  haaaaa ouuuuuuuuu!!!!  I made the final boss (Golden Hulk) 2 times.  I guess WWE didn't go further for this similar naming convention.  No money enough to get there :)

The must difficult fighter for me is Coco Savege (Not Coco savage daaaa!)  When he start bumping you, you don't have much chance to get out.  

Put me 1st !!! For now

20170304_154504.jpg

Nice score, Pat! 

Once you figure out how Mat Mania (aka "Exciting Hour") works, high scores are not so much a matter of skill but of focus and discipline.  In other words, you have to go methodically through your opponents without taking unnecessary risks.  Especially in a long game, there is always a temptation to do different things to bring some variety to the gameplay, but if you do something too careless your opponent might gain control of the match and never give it back.  As mentioned, this is particularly a problem with Coco Savage, but really, it can happen with any of the opponents. 

I haven't played this one in a few years, but when I get home in a few days I'll see if I can blow the rust off and give Pat a run for his money.  :D

• Like 1

Absolutely true.  Temptation to make some fancy move it's fun but could cost the game.  For stage 18, I only take approx. 15 minutes, well I think !  I need to practice more movement though.  I see on youtube you can get on 2nd cord in corner and jump to your opponent.  Did you know if this remove more force to our opponent ?

I also make a movement I'm not sure how.  It's a kind of 360 kung-fu kick.  

See you guys, try to beat that !

10 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

:o WOW HOLY COW!!!  Way to go Patrick!  I might just have to "throw in the towel" already.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Like Cynicaster said, it's a game if you get some pattern, you can go for some stage.  I will be honest, I stay on stage 3 for 12 approx. games try.  Then, I jump to 18 in one game.  I did't know about other fighter and don't have any strategy.  But some good movement I will not share already hihihi!

4 hours ago, patrickfx said:

Absolutely true.  Temptation to make some fancy move it's fun but could cost the game.  For stage 18, I only take approx. 15 minutes, well I think !  I need to practice more movement though.  I see on youtube you can get on 2nd cord in corner and jump to your opponent.  Did you know if this remove more force to our opponent ?

I also make a movement I'm not sure how.  It's a kind of 360 kung-fu kick.  

See you guys, try to beat that !

Jumping off the corner onto your opponent is probably one of the most damaging moves you can do.  You have to be careful though, because if the opponent rolls out of the way, you crash to the mat and lie there stunned, giving the guy a chance to turn the tables on you. 

The super-kick you talked about is only possible when you whip your opponent to the ropes.  Whip opponent, wait for him to rebound off the ropes, and when he gets in close hit the "kick" button and you will do the fancy kick.  This move is really effective when you're really close to the ropes--you basically throw the guy then hit the kick button right away, and you land your hit before the opponent even completes his rebound off the ropes.  Doing it this way means the opponent will not have a chance to do any kind of reversal, which he can (and will) do if he has time to do so.  Other moves you can do when your opponent comes rushing back:

Kick button + joystick toward opponent = clothesline

Punch button = back drop

Punch button + toward opponent = elbow smash

• Like 1

Wow.  This is going to be quite a race to the "Championship Belt"!!  I'll be doing more scoreboard watching than playing!  

Looks like MO gets to see what it's like at the bottom!

MO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mame Offender said:

Looks like MO gets to see what it's like at the bottom!

4 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

Don't kid yourself, you know you're better than me!  :)

You guys are both winners in my book. We can always call it a tie guys.    ;)

• Like 2