All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

How do I add emulators to Gameex?

Greego

I just set this up. I did a lot of Google searching and was surprised how difficult it is to find an answer to this question? I looked all over the setup wizard and played around with the Gameex dashboard but no clue to this basic question...Btw, I am not sure if it matters or not but I am running windows 10 and trying to add an N64 emulator.

Edited by tthurman
Moved from GameEx Evolution to GameEx>General

A lot depends on the emulator you are attempting to stand up via GameEx. 

Type site:gameex.info/forums n64 using Google Search and you will come up with lots of threads for N64 setups and issues.

2 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Type site:gameex.info/forums n64 using Google Search and you will come up with lots of threads for N64 setups and issues.

I was in such a rush to get to work this morning that I didn't say I was trying to add Project64 to Gameex and I knew I was going to be told "it depends on the emulator." After spending spending so much time researching Frontends and emulators over the past 3weeks, I have learned some typical responses but I wish I could learn how to add that emulator. 

I can promise you one thing though, once I finally get one of these frontends to function with Mame, a NES and Nintendo 64 emulator, I will never change anything ir update anything. This whole emulation thing has consumed my life for 3 weeks just trying to get everything working Properly. Cant wait to get back to my old life. Lol. 

Thanks for your response.

You mean that is it for my old life? I am going to be obsessing over this equipment and software like I do with my fish and reef aquariums? Lord knows I can't afford to have two hobbies that consume me like that...

9 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Then there are pincabs! The addiction is only just beginning and there is no 12 step program to help you! :P

Damn. My love of pinball is what started all of this. I thought by just building a cabinet in which I can play virtual pinball machines, I could save space in my man cave then my brother-in-law started showing me all sort of frontends and equipment then my eyes started to glow like Woodland Christmas Critters... Man, the addiction is real. My frustration in trying to set every thing up over the past couple of weeks has even extended into my career. Now that I think about it, it maybe has already started with me.

9 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

You  mind typing that link again? This one does not work.

Hey Greego, it is not a link that Draco gave, but a search phrase.

Just go to google.com and enter site:gameex.info/forums n64 into the search box. The results will be limited to the GameEx forums where 'n64' is included on the page.

I am still having no luck in finding out exactly how to add an emulator to this frontend. Can someone just please tell me how to navigate to the emulator add screen in Gameex or the setup wizard. That is all I need to know.

1 hour ago, RedDog said:

Just go to google.com and enter site:gameex.info/forums n64 into the search box. The results will be limited to the GameEx forums where 'n64' is included on the page.

1 hour ago, RedDog said:

I did that . I could find nothing helpful. Please just type up some instructions for me on how to step-by-step navigate to the emulator add screen in the Gameex setup wizard. Please. I am losing my sanity over this. Thousands of dollars invested in this project at this point so I can't turn back now. Please...

A major issue from doing Google searches seem to be that much of the posts are several years old and I think the Gameex software must have changed since then so a lot of stuff I am reading seems to be irrelevant now.

I don't run this particular emulator, but the first thing is to set it up and ensure that all is working well outside of GameEx. 

Once you have done this and confirm it is working,  on to the next steps.

While this guide is a few years old, GameEx has not changed all that much.

10 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

I don't run this particular emulator, but the first thing is to set it up and ensure that all is working well outside of GameEx. 

Once you have done this and confirm it is working,  on to the next steps.

Draco, I am trying to figure out how to add "any" emulator what-so-ever to Gameex. How do you add any emulator to the Gameex frontend? The setup wizard seems to show favoritism for Mame but there is seems to be no way to select another system to add to Gameex. I have searched the Setup wizard up and down and read posts dating several years back and nothing is clear or seems to be relevant to what I downloaded on this site for gameex.

For example, in Maximus Arcade, you simply go to PREFERENCES then to CONFIGURATION and then you simply set the path to the executable file for any emulator you want. How do I do it for Gameex? If I wanted to add Sega, Xbox or PS4 console emulators to gameex, is there no simple, user-friendly way to do it? Do you need to be very computer-savvy to do this or is there a tab or a tick box I can just click to add an emulator in the Setup Wizard? Please let me know. Maybe Gameex is not for me but I was under the assumption that it was one of the easier frontends for novices like me. If it is not, that is fine, I will just move on with my life. Thanks.

Reread my previous post as I added a link to it you need to read. I found this by typing site:www.gameex.info/ emulator .  

While I and others could probably feed you everything, I am trying to help you find some of the things for yourself as you will benefit more in the long run.

As frontends go, GameEx has a lot of things going for it, but it does have a small learning curve to master.

19 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Reread my previous post as I added a link to it you need to read. I found this by typing site:www.gameex.info/ emulator .  

While I and others could probably feed you everything, I am trying to help you find some of the things for yourself as you will benefit more in the long run.

As frontends go, GameEx has a lot of things going for it, but it does have a small learning curve to master.

Trust me Draco, I do a mind-numbing amount of reading for my career and hobbies on a daily basis.  I have read so much on frontends, emulators and watched so many videos over the past 3 weeks of my life that it is unimaginable.  I built a PC and cabinet to run emulators for the first time in my life 1 month ago and had to read up on all of this. I had no experience doing any of that beforehand. Just for me to learn about PCs and all of the different parts was very, very intense. Then I had to read about all of the different frontends, emulators, controllers like Tanksticks and Xtension controller, light guns, etc,. over the past month. I am a compulsive researcher and self-learner so when I get to the point where I am begging for help, I really need it.

For example, that link you posted above, I read it last night many times (Tom could tell you that I was up past 1am last night emailing him). Anyway, I was hoping it would become clearer but if you read it carefully at part #2, the instructions becomes vague and it doesn't tell you how to get to "All Programs" or where to even find this. In the Setup Wizard or what? The problem is that many people who try to help just give too many vague descriptions and don't take into account someone who is not a master of this stuff.  My motto is always to explain it someone as if you are teaching them to defuse a bomb. If they get it wrong once, the bomb will go off. That is how I prefer to be instructed when I am learning something new such as a frontend like Gameex.

Hold on a sec...something doesn't sound quite right...Greego, did you install the standard GameEx, GameEx Evolution, or GameEx Arcade Edition? Because the only one that supports more than Mame is the standard GameEx. Since you say that you have searched the Setup Wizard up and down for the emulator setup, I am wondering if you have the wrong version installed.

GameEx Evolution is currently in alpha and was made available to the public a while back so people could get a sneak peak and kick the tires a bit. It was not the release version and would not be approprite to use in a permanent build (not yet anyway).

GameEx Arcade Edition is a stripped down version of the standard GameEx that was aimed at Mame only builds. Because it is a bit leaner, it requires less system resources, which is nice for older PCs dedicated to Mame cabinets.

The standard GameEx is the version you would need if you want to use emulators other than Mame.

If you are not sure what you have installed, go to the GameEx\LOG folder and open the log.txt file. The second line should say either GameEx or GameEx Arcade Edition. If you do not have a GameEx\LOG folder, then you have GameEx Evolution installed.

I understand as I am self taught on much of what I know. I spent much time comparing the frontends as you have.

The advice I have given so far is good. Acquire an emulator. Learn how to use it outside of the frontend. Make sure it works before configuring the frontend to launch it. Configure the frontend. Where are you at in this sequence?

We are here to help you and part of that will be to refer you to other posts or guides in the forums. You have come this far so don't throw in the towel just yet.

5 hours ago, RedDog said:

Hold on a sec...something doesn't sound quite right...Greego, did you install the standard GameEx, GameEx Evolution, or GameEx Arcade Edition? Because the only one that supports more than Mame is the standard GameEx. Since you say that you have searched the Setup Wizard up and down for the emulator setup, I am wondering if you have the wrong version installed.

GameEx Evolution is currently in alpha and was made available to the public a while back so people could get a sneak peak and kick the tires a bit. It was not the release version and would not be approprite to use in a permanent build (not yet anyway).

GameEx Arcade Edition is a stripped down version of the standard GameEx that was aimed at Mame only builds. Because it is a bit leaner, it requires less system resources, which is nice for older PCs dedicated to Mame cabinets.

The standard GameEx is the version you would need if you want to use emulators other than Mame.

If you are not sure what you have installed, go to the GameEx\LOG folder and open the log.txt file. The second line should say either GameEx or GameEx Arcade Edition. If you do not have a GameEx\LOG folder, then you have GameEx Evolution installed.

Thank you, RedDog! Thank you!

*Sobs uncontrollably with tears of joy*

You just saved my mental status, man! Thanks for explaining this. This information is not clearly stated in the download section for this frontend. They really should clear this up or maybe I am just not smart enough. Either way, make it clear enough for even idiots to understand and call it Gameex for Idiots!

This is how this thread was going:

Me: Can someone please tell me how to get to Chicago from here?

Local resident of small town: Well, just type into Google maps where you want to go and it should show you how to get there.

Me: I have tried typing it into Google Maps but it won't tell me.

Local Resident of small town: Well, it depends on how you want to travel to Chicago.

Me: I will travel any way possible to Chicago...plane, train or automobile. Please just give me any way to get there.

Local resident of small town: Well, I can tell you how to find information someone wrote on how he got to Chicago in the past.

Me: I read that information and the directions are confusing. Can you just tell me?

Local resident: Well, we all want you to get to Chicago. We don't want to just spoon feed you directions. Directions are sometimes not easy and you will need to learn how to navigate to different cities in your life someday...

Local resident #2: Wait, you have the wrong version of Google maps on your phone. The version of Google Maps you have on your phone only works for directions in this town. It does not give you directions out of town.

Me: *Downloads complete version of Google Maps, types in Chicago, IL and then drives away to Chicago*

I thank both of you for your efforts. I am so happy right now. I was trying to troubleshoot my issue. With all of these downloads to setup an arcade cabinet, everything is not always so straightforward and it is difficult to know if you are using the right software or download. This is why I asked to just tell me the steps of how one would add emulators in the Gameex setup Wizard. If I had known those steps and then took them and did not see a step for adding an emulator, I would have known that something was wrong and tried the other available download (the Gameex standard edition). After more than 3 weeks of little sleep, I am going to sleep like a baby tonight...

23 hours ago, Draco1962 said:
3 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Also refer to the Wiki entries:

Emulator Setup

Advanced Emulator Setup

I just don't know why this wiki page wasn't showing up in my Google searches. That is just crazy. It still does not show the steps leading up to this but once you realize that this is the bog difference between the two Gameex download, it all becomes astronomically easier...every thing is easy once you know it, right?

Just my 2 cents...consider stating that one download is strictly for Mame and the other is for other emulators on the description of each. You have to think of the idiots whenever you put together anything. 

We wouldn't be the great place we are without idiots! ;) 

GameEx Arcade is strictly that. GameEx does arcade emulators, other system emulators and more. Adding an emulator is fairly simple once you have done it a time or two. I must caution, however, to make sure you have it working outside of GameEx first, or else you are going to be in a world of confusion trying to troubleshoot any issues that come about.

48 minutes ago, Greego said:

Just my 2 cents...consider stating that one download is strictly for Mame and the other is for other emulators on the description of each. You have to think of the idiots whenever you put together anything.

Well, the GameEx Arcade Edition actually says it is for "MAME and arcade systems". As you know, N64 is not arcade; it is a console. But, it is an easy thing to overlook in the description.

I should also say 'welcome to the hobby'; but one thing to remember with this hobby is that it can be a tinkerers's dream or nightmare. An emulator not only has to be configured properly, but if you are a perfectionist (like I am), you might spend a whole bunch of extra time getting things exactly the way you want it. Then, you might do the same for ten more emulators. Then, you want a nice, fancy front end launcher like GameEx to make everything look and sound pretty...and then the perfectionist in you will want to spend a whole bunch of time setting that up exactly the way you want it. And then...and THEN...AND THEN...

So, the moral of my little blurb here is to work on it when it's fun and set it aside if it starts to feel like work (or play some games on it darn it). :lol:

3 hours ago, RedDog said:

Well, the GameEx Arcade Edition actually says it is for "MAME and arcade systems". As you know, N64 is not arcade; it is a console. But, it is an easy thing to overlook in the description.

I should also say 'welcome to the hobby'; but one thing to remember with this hobby is that it can be a tinkerers's dream or nightmare. An emulator not only has to be configured properly, but if you are a perfectionist (like I am), you might spend a whole bunch of extra time getting things exactly the way you want it. Then, you might do the same for ten more emulators. Then, you want a nice, fancy front end launcher like GameEx to make everything look and sound pretty...and then the perfectionist in you will want to spend a whole bunch of time setting that up exactly the way you want it. And then...and THEN...AND THEN...

So, the moral of my little blurb here is to work on it when it's fun and set it aside if it starts to feel like work (or play some games on it darn it). :lol:

You are right. My problem is that I cannot rest when I can't figure anything out. I will sacrifice sleep and anything associated with it until I figure it all out.

4 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

We wouldn't be the great place we are without idiots! ;) 

GameEx Arcade is strictly that. GameEx does arcade emulators, other system emulators and more. Adding an emulator is fairly simple once you have done it a time or two. I must caution, however, to make sure you have it working outside of GameEx first, or else you are going to be in a world of confusion trying to troubleshoot any issues that come about.

Thanks. Will definitely keep that in mind. Off of work now so it's tinkering time.

1 hour ago, Greego said:

You are right. My problem is that I cannot rest when I can't figure anything out. I will sacrifice sleep and anything associated with it until I figure it all out.

Been there, done that...don't do that!!!   ;)