All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx Freezes

jimdeprado

I have MAME mostly setup and was going through my game list and adding favorites.  When I got to Kung Fu Master, GameEx froze up and I had to reboot the computer.  If I scroll down through the list and stop on Kung Fu Master, the video snap plays and it shows the 3D cabinet.  It is when I select the game and it shows "Play This Game" and the other options where this occurs.  I thought it was the video snap, so I temporarily deleted it and the same problem occurred.  It also happens on Ms. Pacman.  I've attached the normal files that are requested.  Any assistance on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Jim

log.txt

runitgame.bat

GameEx.ini

Have you ever determined which version of MAME your romset matches?  These little glitches your describing sound suspect to using a version of MAME with a different version romset.  In the case of MAME, these two are pretty much joined at the hip.  Little changes can occur at random throughout the set with each new release, and without running them with the matching binary, create unpredictable results.

There are a few ways to approach this, but they come with a pretty decent learning curve, and aren't what most would consider user friendly.

clrmamepro is perhaps considered to be the standard, but it takes patience to learn and master using it.  There are others, and some googling will turn up alternatives, as well as tutorials. 

If you're pretty sure you have the correct set for the executable you have, then verifying it shouldn't be as difficult as actually rebuilding.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2017 at 3:05 PM, tthurman said:

There are a few ways to approach this, but they come with a pretty decent learning curve, and aren't what most would consider user friendly.

clrmamepro is perhaps considered to be the standard, but it takes patience to learn and master using it.  There are others...

Romcenter is another great MAME/rom manager, and slightly more user friendly, but as @tthurman said, all things MAME need some learning... it's not something you can just jump in to and be ok. That sucks i know but it's just the way it is.

On a positive note though, i'd say 98% of all other emulators work with no effort, romsets don't matter (any version will work), and artwork/media will match with little to no moderation from the user.

MAME is very much the exception to the rule, it's basically the only one that needs some tutoring to be handled correctly.

Keep going though, coz once you know how it works inside and out, like us, you'll be telling everyone you know how they should get into it! hehe