All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Mame boots to a black screen with stuttering game audio from Gameex

Scoot Magee

I didn't boot game ex for a while and the only change I can think of in between the last time I used it and now is that I replaced my broken gtx 670 with a new one. All the drivers are up to date as far as I know.

So basically what happens is when I boot a mame rom from game ex the screen loads black and after some time I can hear the game struggling to run in the background. The sound is slow and choppy and the screen stays black until I back into the game ex menu again.

Windows 10 64bit

AMD fx 4100 quad core

gtx 670

I also attached a log.

Thanks!

log.txt

Ok so I set to admin but that didn't work. Here's another log. I actually got an error every time I tried to boot anything at all. NES, SNES, Genesis and etc all give different errors related to d3d and direct draw. I'm guessing these weren't working all along but I was only trying to use mame.

log.txt

Did you try setting the properties to run full screen windowed.

Also, who knows what the Win 10 update could have done.  Ensure you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed.

If you have an extensive config, I would recommend backup up your GameEx.ini,

You could download the latest version, and do an over the top installation.  This "should" work without issue, as this is how the incremental updates are applied.

If you haven't already since W10 i would make sure you have all OS updates. If you have an integrated GPU, i would then download the latest drivers for your dedicated GPU, uninstall them completely, reboot and then install them (your GPU drivers) again.

Like many decent programs, GameEx is not very portable, this applies across OS versions too.

Thanks for your helps guys. I ended up just uninstalling gameex and switched to gameex arcade edition and it's working. I'm going to try a fresh install of gameex later as well but I'm not too worried about console games at the moment.

Anyway I now ran into some minor issues with arcade edition. For some reason I cant get themes and etc to display even after setting to the correct directory. My arcade art and etc shows up but no themes, preview videos or snaps show up.

These are my paths

C:\GameEx Arcade Edition\MEDIA\DOWNLOADED ARTWORK\MAME\VIDEO

C:\GameEx Arcade Edition\MEDIA\DOWNLOADED ARTWORK\MAME\VIDEOTHEME

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I had all the video themes and etc put into those folders. I didn't know if I should make a new thread for this.

Don't hold me to this, because I don't run the Arcade Edition.  I seem to recall a post; which I cannot find, that things are automated with the Arcade Edition, which I'm guessing means it will pull down the system pack, and place the files in the appropriate directories.