All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

HBMAME Merged ROM Support

Necromancyr

Is there a way for GameEx to handle merged roms for other emulators aside from MAME?  Specifically, HBMame.  The Merged set is 8gb, the unmerged is 71gb - would definitely prefer to use the merged if possible, but not certain GameEx will parse and detect files correctly since it's not being directly configured as 'mame'. 

Ok, so I think I figured this out.  If you use a MAP file, ALL the roms listed in the MAP file are included in your list - not just ones that have ROM files available.  So, easiest way to do this - or MisfitMame or similar - is use a MAP file if a database isn't available and place files correctly.

Also, you can NOT have "'s in MAP files.  I'm fairly certain GameEx's display engine chokes when it hits one.  It's not the parser, since I had a 1942 hack at the bottom of my map file with a " in it that caused the listing to stop after it, even though it was after all the other entries in the file. 

HBMAME functions the exact same way as MAME does, so essentially GameEX should also allow you to set path to your hbmame folder in the mame config and allow the switching of MAME to HBMAME depending on what you wish to play. There's shouldn't be a need to make it a secondary emulator or fool with map files because it's basically a clone of MAME with just different hacked sets.

One option is to use HBMAME with either GameEX or GameEX Arcade edition and use regular MAME with the other so that way you get the initial MAME support for both of them

Edited by B2K24
Added option
  • Like 1