All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Unreal Tournament, a.k.a. UT99 reboot

tthurman

For some reason the other day this game popped into my mind, and so I used a quote from it in the "name the game" thread.

This was by far my favorite game in the Unreal series, and one of my all time favorite titles!   I kept trying the series until I finally realized EPIC was never going to recapture the overall game-play and feel of the original.  Just by the vast number of people who still to this day play the original, I'm obviously not alone.

I was excited to hear around mid 2014 that a reboot was being teased, and so I loosely followed it.  It was very early on, no textures, and honestly I had much larger issues looming that kept me from following it very closely. 

Using a quote from it the other day changed all that, so last night I checked it out....wow.

For those of you that don't know, the game will be released free, and is crowdsouced.  The new game looks fantastic thanks to the Unreal 4 engine, Face never looked so good!

It's time to pay attention to the new Unreal Tournament

For a Pre-Alpha, it appears very polished to me in what little time I've spent with it.  If the original offered you some quality gaming time, then by all means check this out!

It's been so long for me at this point, it's hard to distinguish some of the originals, because they are at times so mind blowing different in appearance, while at others so seemingly bland (to me anyway). 

The community mapping seems to really be pushing the envelope from the most minimalist version, all the way to the extreme, and anywhere in between.  Perhaps I've just seen some incomplete maps without textures, but seemingly I've seen numerous versions of face as well as the deck maps.  I played this so much that I started running custom maps on our server back in those days, and so it's been a while since I've seen some of the default maps.