All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Pinball Arcade Direct Table Launch with Free Camera Mod!

bduncan

9 hours ago, Davlent said:

Hi,

I think, from my own experience, that "Process to monitor = PinballArcade11.exe" must be empty.

Why ? when I tried 'old' version (I mean without command line) and don't place anything to this field, no any tables loaded and I heard nothing in this sence (I mean 'tic tic tic' sound who choose the right menu and table)

It seems this is the process monitored to send the PinbalX script who choose the correct table (with 1x2,1x3,1x3 ....)

This is only a clue, I must try myself... but time is not my friend at the moment ;-)

Hi Davlent, unfortunately this will not work. It will still show the same inconsistent behaviour. PinballX's integration stops working once you set it up in the Other Systems and disable the internal Pinball Arcade system. The process to monitor in other systems was necessary to actually let PinballX quit PinballArcade11.exe and hence its monitoring it - so if you are not using the AHK method of closing PinballX and launching via Free Cam Mod direct, you need to keep that Process to monitor setting. Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, mrjadez said:

Updated AHK script below, new people must compile this as exe and follow bduncan's intructions above. 

Process, Close, pinballx.exe
Run C:\locationforfreecameramod\TPAFreeCamMod.exe -table %1%
~Escape::
Process, Close, PinballArcade11.exe

FileRead, xmldata, D:\PinballX\Databases\Pinball Arcade\Pinball Arcade.xml ;change to your pinball arcade database
doc := ComObjCreate("MSXML2.DOMDocument.6.0")
doc.async := false
doc.loadXML(xmldata)
table = //game[@name='%1%']/description
Node := doc.selectSingleNode(table)
description:= Node.text
IniWrite, %description%%1%System_2, D:\Pinballx\Config\PinballX.ini, Internal, lastselected ;change drive letter and system number, for me its 2 in Other Systems so _2

Run C:\Pinballx\PinballX.exe
ExitAPP
return

Awseome, will try this later tonight.  Now I don't have to figure out a hack job to do the same :)

Thanks!!

5 hours ago, bduncan said:

Awseome, will try this later tonight.  Now I don't have to figure out a hack job to do the same :)

Thanks!!

<game name="AttackFromMars">
        <description>Attack From Mars (Bally 1995)</description>
        <rom></rom>
        <manufacturer>Bally</manufacturer>
        <year>1995</year>
        <type>SS</type>
        <hidedmd>False</hidedmd>
        <hidebackglass>False</hidebackglass>
        <enabled>True</enabled>
        <rating>0</rating>
    </game>

When I launch that game using your additions and exit, this is what gets written to my pinballx.ini:

lastselected=AttackFromMarsSystem_4

Not:

lastselected=Attack From Mars (Bally 1995)AttackFromMarsSystem_4

I don't believe the proper text is being extracted, I added Msgbox %description% after description := Node.txt and it is always blank

So with: IniWrite, %description%%1%System_4, C:\Pinballx\Config\PinballX.ini, Internal, lastselected

I am  getting [null]AttackFromMarsSystem_4

13 hours ago, bduncan said:

Why don't you just kill pinballX like I am doing before you start FCM?  I hope this weekend to play around with getting autohotkey to populate the pinballx.ini with the last table played saving.  

I posted about seeing this behavior we are experiencing a couple weeks ago..

What Windows version are you using?  Same deal when I was doing my own script to skip through the menus in PBA, with PinballX running in the background, timing would be different almost every time.  Sometimes it would work 2 times in a row, then fail 5 in a row.

At this point, sheer stubbornness I guess and an undying faith that there must be just one small tweak to make it work.  But I think I'm going to admit defeat and try it your way.  Looks like there is a possible PinballX last table fix, although it doesn't seem like it is working.  Seeing the regular expressions use I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes:

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.

I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit.  I wonder if it is worth the ask to the FCM author to put in some sort of delay before 'pressing buttons'.  But I'm not sure that would even fix it.

4 hours ago, bduncan said:

<rom></rom>
        <year>1995</year>
        <type>SS</type>
        <hidedmd>False</hidedmd>
        <enabled>True</enabled>
        <rating>0</rating>
    </game>

When I launch that game using your additions and exit, this is what gets written to my pinballx.ini:

lastselected=AttackFromMarsSystem_4

Not:

lastselected=Attack From Mars (Bally 1995)AttackFromMarsSystem_4

I don't believe the proper text is being extracted, I added Msgbox %description% after description := Node.txt and it is always blank

So with: IniWrite, %description%%1%System_4, C:\Pinballx\Config\PinballX.ini, Internal, lastselected

I am  getting [null]AttackFromMarsSystem_4

Hi Bduncan, you are right its not getting the description in xml parse, can you make sure the path to your Pinball Arcade xml is correct? also please paste your current AHK after my updates. I am not home but will have a look for you, it might be just the path to xml if your's slightly different i.e. System Name or XML name itself for the DB. rest your xml itself looks the norm, i.e. <game name> and <description> under it so shouldn't be any probs. 

3 hours ago, Pike13 said:

At this point, sheer stubbornness I guess and an undying faith that there must be just one small tweak to make it work.  But I think I'm going to admit defeat and try it your way.  Looks like there is a possible PinballX last table fix, although it doesn't seem like it is working.  Seeing the regular expressions use I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes:

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.

I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit.  I wonder if it is worth the ask to the FCM author to put in some sort of delay before 'pressing buttons'.  But I'm not sure that would even fix it.

Hi Pike13, am also not a fan of overcomplicating anything, regexpressions although was one way I decided not to use it, what you see is simple AHK xml internal parse. The last table fix works flawless for me and am sure the porblem at bduncan's end will be a minor one and we will get it fixed, may even enhance it further based on what comes out of the investigation - it surely can be done. 

I was also using video backglasses for pinball arcades which PinballX was loading and I have got them working as well now without PinballX being present.

11 hours ago, mrjadez said:

Hi Bduncan, you are right its not getting the description in xml parse, can you make sure the path to your Pinball Arcade xml is correct? also please paste your current AHK after my updates. I am not home but will have a look for you, it might be just the path to xml if your's slightly different i.e. System Name or XML name itself for the DB. rest your xml itself looks the norm, i.e. <game name> and <description> under it so shouldn't be any probs. 

Yes, I triple checked that to make sure.  Here is what I switched to using to troubleshoot more quickly:

Please let me know if I am missing something:

FileRead, xmldata, C:\test.xml
doc.loadXML(xmldata)
MsgBox %description%

I then run this compiled as an exe (run.exe) to test:  run AddamsFamily

The MsBox is always blank.  Does the table line need to take into account the <menu> piece of XML?

Here is a snippet of my test.xml to show you the format of that:

<menu>
	<game name="AddamsFamily">
		<description>Addams Family</description>
		<rom></rom>
		<year>1995</year>
		<type>SS</type>
		<hidedmd>False</hidedmd>
		<enabled>True</enabled>
		<rating>0</rating>
	</game>
		<rom></rom>
		<year>1995</year>
		<type>SS</type>
		<hidedmd>False</hidedmd>
		<enabled>True</enabled>
		<rating>0</rating>
	</game>
</menu>

Thanks!

47 minutes ago, bduncan said:

Yes, I triple checked that to make sure.  Here is what I switched to using to troubleshoot more quickly:

Please let me know if I am missing something:

FileRead, xmldata, C:\test.xml
doc.loadXML(xmldata)
MsgBox %description%

I then run this compiled as an exe (run.exe) to test:  run AddamsFamily

The MsBox is always blank.  Does the table line need to take into account the <menu> piece of XML?

Here is a snippet of my test.xml to show you the format of that:

<menu>
	<game name="AddamsFamily">
		<description>Addams Family</description>
		<rom></rom>
		<year>1995</year>
		<type>SS</type>
		<hidedmd>False</hidedmd>
		<enabled>True</enabled>
		<rating>0</rating>
	</game>
		<rom></rom>
		<year>1995</year>
		<type>SS</type>
		<hidedmd>False</hidedmd>
		<enabled>True</enabled>
		<rating>0</rating>
	</game>
</menu>

Thanks!

Tried above xml as C:\test.xml and also the script above and passing "AddamsFamily" %description% in msgbox came back as "Addams Family" so it works, the difference is now in our AHK i think, can you install the latest AHK from the website the new one is feb 2017 and give it a go again? should work. 

Just now, mrjadez said:

Tried above xml as C:\test.xml and also the script above and passing "AddamsFamily" %description% in msgbox came back as "Addams Family" so it works, the difference is now in our AHK i think, can you install the latest AHK from the website the new one is feb 2017 and give it a go again? should work. 

Also everything is case sensitive, so if you pass AttackfromMars it doesn't work just tried but AttackFromMars worked a treat. 

Just now, mrjadez said:

Also everything is case sensitive, so if you pass AttackfromMars it doesn't work just tried but AttackFromMars worked a treat. 

Here is a screenshot of it working, your xml, the script above and I pass AttackFromMars. So it's either the AHK version or somehow the xml commands I am using not being available, which normally suggest AHK version but let's see.

screenshot.jpg

2 hours ago, mrjadez said:

Here is a screenshot of it working, your xml, the script above and I pass AttackFromMars. So it's either the AHK version or somehow the xml commands I am using not being available, which normally suggest AHK version but let's see.

screenshot.jpg

Thanks, what version AHK are you running?

Maybe that is all it is then.

I even added MsgBox %xmldata% after the fileread, and my PBA.xml is listed there, so it is loading my xml fine, I have tried different versions of AHK 1.1 with the same results, I also tried on a Windows 7 box to see if I got different results.  I tried 1.0 versions and that must be before XML parsing was supported, and with 2.x it has some errors.

2 hours ago, bduncan said:

Thanks, what version AHK are you running?

Maybe that is all it is then.

I even added MsgBox %xmldata% after the fileread, and my PBA.xml is listed there, so it is loading my xml fine, I have tried different versions of AHK 1.1 with the same results, I also tried on a Windows 7 box to see if I got different results.  I tried 1.0 versions and that must be before XML parsing was supported, and with 2.x it has some errors.

Strange, mines v1.1.24.05 directly from https://autohotkey.com/download/ . Does seem like something to do with AHK versions and commands supported as I am running the code just fine. Just go to my AHK version and let me know how you go.

4 hours ago, mrjadez said:

Strange, mines v1.1.24.05 directly from https://autohotkey.com/download/ . Does seem like something to do with AHK versions and commands supported as I am running the code just fine. Just go to my AHK version and let me know how you go.

Thanks, I finally figured it out!

I tried that exact version with the same results. 

After experimenting with other AHK XML examples and how sensitive it is to working based on the XML being formatted properly, I went over mine with a fine tooth comb and I was missing one </game> tag.

It works perfect now.

19 hours ago, mrjadez said:

Hi Pike13, am also not a fan of overcomplicating anything, regexpressions although was one way I decided not to use it, what you see is simple AHK xml internal parse. The last table fix works flawless for me and am sure the porblem at bduncan's end will be a minor one and we will get it fixed, may even enhance it further based on what comes out of the investigation - it surely can be done. 

I was also using video backglasses for pinball arcades which PinballX was loading and I have got them working as well now without PinballX being present.

Yeah, totally my mistake.

With the work around and this, PBA in PinballX works great now.

1 hour ago, bduncan said:

Thanks, I finally figured it out!

I tried that exact version with the same results. 

After experimenting with other AHK XML examples and how sensitive it is to working based on the XML being formatted properly, I went over mine with a fine tooth comb and I was missing one </game> tag.

It works perfect now.

Great, glad its working for you, although interesting that PinballX was still working with bad formatted xml :)! Tom must have put a lot of effort in to make that happen.

12 minutes ago, bduncan said:

Yeah, totally my mistake.

With the work around and this, PBA in PinballX works great now.

I also have Video backglasses working now, quite easy to do if you use them. For me they are way better than using the static images. I can post the final script with additions to Bduncan's original one if others are interested, let us know. 

5 minutes ago, mrjadez said:

I also have Video backglasses working now, quite easy to do if you use them. For me they are way better than using the static images. I can post the final script with additions to Bduncan's original one if others are interested, let us know. 

I would be interested in seeing that, are you saying for use when PBA is running?  Instead of the static images we are limited to, with FCM?

2 minutes ago, bduncan said:

I would be interested in seeing that, are you saying for use when PBA is running?  Instead of the static images we are limited to, with FCM?

Thats right, to make it work you need to get the video backglasses first, I think Robert on PBA forums has posted quite a few in a set, but they are for 2 screens. You can record your own or download from FTP from VP, FP for your 3 screen setup. Once you have them all working in PinballX itself displaying them in the front-end the rest is easy. 

Basically you just add Run command to launch VLC player external, VLC itself is configured to go full screen on your third monitor if using three and not show title of video so when you launch a table from PBX, first you launch VLC and the backglass with matching names in Media/PBA/Backglass Videos folder, then you launch the FCM. Similarly in the escape sequence you just exit VLC as well. So quite easy to do. Works a treat.

4 minutes ago, mrjadez said:

Thats right, to make it work you need to get the video backglasses first, I think Robert on PBA forums has posted quite a few in a set, but they are for 2 screens. You can record your own or download from FTP from VP, FP for your 3 screen setup. Once you have them all working in PinballX itself displaying them in the front-end the rest is easy. 

Basically you just add Run command to launch VLC player external, VLC itself is configured to go full screen on your third monitor if using three and not show title of video so when you launch a table from PBX, first you launch VLC and the backglass with matching names in Media/PBA/Backglass Videos folder, then you launch the FCM. Similarly in the escape sequence you just exit VLC as well. So quite easy to do. Works a treat.

Also NoEx or Tom may be releasing a patch soon to make internal integration work with new direct table launching but am not sure. Even then the video backglasses you put in your media backglass videos folder, pinballx will simply play them just set in your database backglass hidden to false. But till PinballX/FCM start talking nicely the AHK trick does the same job minus the PBX pause menu. 

One more thing, your backglass images folder in FCM folder/backglass should be all empty and your screen already rotated before launching FCM. That's right PinballX must be launched rotated or your screen must be setup already Potrait, otherwise the video backglasses will not work. 

2 minutes ago, mrjadez said:

Yeah, that sounds great.  If you don't mind sharing that would be great.   Yeah I already have most of my animated back glass working for PBA in PinballX, it sounds like I could just play those video files then while in PBA.  It has bugged me a little that viewing the tables in PinballX for PBA actually looks better than what you get when you launch the PBA table. (due to the static images of FCM for backglass)  Which in my case it does not even stretch the image on my 3rd monitor.  So it looks a little off.  That would be much nicer looking and feel more polished then.

20 minutes ago, bduncan said:

Yeah, that sounds great.  If you don't mind sharing that would be great.   Yeah I already have most of my animated back glass working for PBA in PinballX, it sounds like I could just play those video files then while in PBA.  It has bugged me a little that viewing the tables in PinballX for PBA actually looks better than what you get when you launch the PBA table. (due to the static images of FCM for backglass)  Which in my case it does not even stretch the image on my 3rd monitor.  So it looks a little off.  That would be much nicer looking and feel more polished then.

No worries, not home but will post the final script here. There is something you can do now though to help it, and anyone else interested should also get this going first before using the final AHK script with my changes or it will load nothing.  

Please get VLC player and open it and drag it to your backglass screen then double click to fullscreen then escape to exit full screen and then go to its settings, change first tab, Continue Playback to false, other options as you see fit. Now go to Video tab and select full screen, in output select "Direct3D" and then in Display your Windows display # for your backglass. Now open advanced options and go to video tab again and disable "showing title of video". Now close it and try playing a video many times from windows itself to see how VLC launches it on the backglass monitor fullscreen- sometimes you have to tinker with above settings to make it work. 

If above is all done outside the script and working rest the script will do the job. The script assumes all backglass videos are .mp4 and if it can't find them it will load a png from backglass images folder instead (if it exists of course). But these all need to be in the PinballX media folder. 

Final note, you cannot use video backglasses if you are not launching PinballX in rotated mode or your playfield isn't already in Potrait mode. If you use launch before to rotate the screen when launching PBA via FCM the video will load but many occasions just go blank black screen, something to do with DirectX from my investigations. 

Here is the final AHK, new users please compile as exe, run Pinball Arcade in Other systems, follow bduncan's instructions in earlier posts. 

Note, VLC must be already working to launch on your backglass fullscreen everytime, this must be tested outside the script. Your monitor must be already rotated portrait for the video backglasses part to work, otherwise if you just want to update the last table played use the earlier AHK script i posted. Make sure FreeCamMod's own backglass folder is empty, and that you either have only one mp4 backglass video or a png image for the same rom if no mp4 video bg was available. If the same rom or table has a video and png image both in Backglass videos and Backglass images folder in your Pinball arcade media folder, then two VLC instances will open and PNG image backglass will be on top.

I am using 32 bit VLC player which installs to program files (x86) if you grab the 64 bit version you must change this path to just "program files".

bgmp4 = D:\PinballX\Media\Pinball Arcade\Backglass Videos\%1%.mp4    ;Change paths and extentions throughout to match your setup
bgpng = D:\PinballX\Media\Pinball Arcade\Backglass Images\%1%.png

if FileExist(bgmp4)
	Run C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe --loop "D:\PinballX\Media\Pinball Arcade\Backglass Videos\%1%.mp4"

if FileExist(bgpng)
	Run C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe --loop "D:\PinballX\Media\Pinball Arcade\Backglass Images\%1%.png"

Run C:\TPAFreeCamMod.exe -table %1%
Process, Close, vlc.exe

FileRead, xmldata, D:\PinballX\Databases\Pinball Arcade\Pinball Arcade.xml ;change to your pinball arcade database
doc.loadXML(xmldata)
IniWrite, %description%%1%System_2, D:\Pinballx\Config\PinballX.ini, Internal, lastselected ;change drive letter and system number, for me its 2 in Other Systems so _2
IniWrite, All Tables, D:\Pinballx\Config\PinballX.ini, Internal, filtername

Run D:\Pinballx\PinballX.exe
ExitAPP
return

Edited by mrjadez
Added a small change, with multiple systems enabled PinballX was not going back to the last table selected, now need to write the filter value as well.
  • Like 1

First, for any of you messing with VLC, there is a bug or something for some people where it won't save the screen it was last on unless you exit when the app (vlc) is NOT maximized.  I was unable to get VLC to come up on my backglass screen by choosing the display device # in VLC, so I just moved VLC over to that screen and set everything else (DirectX Display device is set to Default) and made sure to have VLC windowed (not full screen) then closed it.  Now it always launches on my backglass screen.  Also many of my animated back glass files where .f4v, I just renamed them to .mp4 and they seem to all play OK.  I tried that instead of adding the logic to account for .f4v besides .mp4 to the AHK.

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=109113

Had a chance to play with this today.  Nice, with the animated backglass while playing in PBA, pretty much as polished as you can get.

Here is a copy of my AHK, I had to modify it slightly due to my naming convention for my files being based on the description field:

FileRead, xmldata, C:\PinballX\Databases\PBA\PBA.xml
doc.loadXML(xmldata)

bgmp4 = C:\PinballX\Media\PBA\Backglass Videos\%description%.mp4    ;Change paths and extentions throughout to match your setup
bgpng = C:\PinballX\Media\PBA\Backglass Images\%description%.png

if FileExist(bgmp4)
	Run C:\apps\vlc\vlc.exe --loop "C:\PinballX\Media\PBA\Backglass Videos\%description%.mp4"

if FileExist(bgpng)
	Run C:\apps\vlc\vlc.exe --loop "C:\PinballX\Media\PBA\Backglass Images\%description%.png"

Run C:\games\PinBallArcade\mod\TPAFreeCamMod.exe -table %1%
Process, Close, vlc.exe

IniWrite, %description%%1%System_4, C:\Pinballx\Config\PinballX.ini, Internal, lastselected ;change drive letter and system number, for me its 2 in Other Systems so _2 
IniWrite, All Tables, C:\Pinballx\Config\PinballX.ini, Internal, filtername

Run C:\Pinballx\PinballX.exe
ExitAPP
return

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the script examples, I finally got everything working with your way of doing things - I gave up trying to get it to run from PBX directly and then leaving PBX running.  It never quite worked right 100% of the time.  This way it works 95% - there are a few times where something is going on where it seems to not launch fast enough for the simulated clicks so I have to get the mouse out and move the mouse pointer over any 'button' on the screen and then it launches.  But it is so much better now even with that minor glitch.

To my script I also added some stuff to rotate the display and then launch dmdext to mirror the PBA DMD onto my cabinet DMD. Which may play into why it doesn't work 100%, maybe I should throw some delays in the script.

However, I had question that I'm hoping someone can help with.  In the example script above you are monitoring for the Escape key to shut down PBA and relaunch PBX (after updating the recently played in the PBX .ini).  I'm playing in a cabinet and don't want a keyboard out so I'm trying to monitor my 'controller' for a button press to exit.  I have a VirtuaPin Mini and there is a button underneath the cabinet that PBX uses to exit whatever table is running (be it Visual Pinball, PBA, PBFX2).  I would like to have this button do the exiting when using this script but for the life of me can't figure out how to get the AutoHotkey script to pick up on it.

The VirtuaPin controller shows up as a device in Windows and you can see the buttons being pressed in the Windows configuration tool (for me, Button 8).  But when trying to get the script to pick it up, it doesn't register.  I'm using the technique from AHK listed here (in the joystick section): https://autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm.

Joy8 doesn't seem to work.

I ran the example script listed that monitors your joystick and shows what button was pressed in a tool tip window, and it is giving me weird behavior - it will pick up some of the controller buttons but not others - and for those that do work, it will list a different button than what is shown in the windows utility (example the left side flipper button will show up as button 10 in Windows but the AHK script will pick it up as button 1.  Seems to know to pick up the left two buttons, the front two buttons, and even the plunger and nudge (left and right stick and shows up as changing the x, y, or z axis).  But not the underneath button or the right flipper buttons).

I tried the script also with using a XBox360 controller mapping utility as well (X360ce) but didn't seem to matter.

Perhaps this is a question for the AHK forums or VirtuaPin, but I thought I would try here first.  Any ideas?