All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Yie Ar Kung Fu

February 2017 GOTM Winner: ExedExes - 258,900 (link)

Yie Ar Kung-Fu
Yie Ar Kung-Fu Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 ExedExes 258,900 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
2 rtkiii 166,600 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
3 patrickfx 130,800 patrickfx's Hi-Score Entry
4 Cynicaster 127,700 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
5 Floyd Turbo 121,600 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
6 millerbrad 94,400 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
7 Luigimaker 93,000 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
8 hansolo77 92,500 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
9 RedDog 84,700 RedDog's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 02-24-2019

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Yie Ar Kung Fu:

ROMSet: Yiear
Lives: 1
Cabinet: Upright
Bonus Life: 30000 80000
Difficulty: Normal
Flip screen: Off
Upright Controls: Single
Service Mode: Off
Special Rules: None

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

You voted, here it is!  A game I've never heard of, but that doesn't mean it's not popular!  While researching the game, I soon learned that it was actually a very popular game in the UK when it was released, and is one of the precursors to Street Fighter and many other games in the fighting genre.  It was so popular that it was ported to lots of home consoles, and re-released in combo collections packs and even remastered for the Xbox360/etc.  Hope you guys enjoy!

Yie Ar Kung-Fu (イー・アル・カンフー Ī Aru Kanfū?) is a 1985 arcade fighting game developed and published by Konami. Along with 1984's Karate Champ, which influenced Yie-Ar Kung Fu, it is one of the games that established the basis for modern fighting games.[3]

Yie Ar Kung-Fu (Chinese: 一二功夫; pinyin: yī èr gōngfū; literally: "One Two Kung Fu") features the protagonist Oolong (Chinese: 烏龍; pinyin: Wūlóng, Japanese: ウーロン Ūron; see oolong) (renamed Lee for the MSX and Famicom ports), controlled by the player. Oolong must fight all the martial arts masters given by the game (11 in the arcade version; five to 13 in the home ports) to win the title of "Grand Master" and honor the memory of his father. On his side is a variety of punch and kick blows reachable by combining the joystick with one of the buttons (punch or kick). He also has the greatest jumping ability of all the game's fighters, with the exception of "Blues".

The player faces a variety of opponents, each with a unique appearance and fighting style.[4][5] The player can perform up to 16 different moves,[6] using a combination of buttons and joystick movements while standing, crouching or jumping.[7] Moves are thrown at high, middle, and low levels. Regardless of the move that defeated them, male characters (save Feedle) always fall unconscious lying on their backs with their legs apart (players flail their feet), and female characters always fall lying on their sides. Feedle disappears. There are only two female fighters, and the rest are male. When a player gains an extra life, the word "xiè xiè" (Mandarin for "thank you") is heard.

- Quote from Wikipedia (link)

On 2/7/2017 at 9:19 PM, patrickfx said:

Some tips to share :)

The controls for this game are a bit different than other fighting games. You expect that in order to do a move you would press a button and joystick direction at the same time. Actually, you press a button and then a direction. Because of this scheme, you can press and hold a button and then move the joystick in different directions to chain moves together. Pressing the punch or kick button alone actually does nothing.

The one thing the game lacks is the ability to defend, so the best way I have found to win is to string combo attacks that have similar ranges.

That's probably my problem with stage 2 and beyond.  I didn't think to press the button first, I was doing it backwards.  I'll definitely come back and try to post a score here soon on this.  My server kinda went down and is taking priority at the moment.  Thanks for the tip @RedDog!

Never played this one before.  Not a huge fan, to be honest.  I can see how this would have a nostalgic appeal if I had played it in the 80s, but to me, the "one on one fighter" type game is defined by Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken.  It's kind of hard to start with those games and then go back to this one and try to appreciate it. 

y3mIPuE1gfBWv9YEXPjGGPkuRPdNhTuJugB9s5zZ

On 14/02/2017 at 3:26 PM, Cynicaster said:

Never played this one before.  Not a huge fan, to be honest.  I can see how this would have a nostalgic appeal if I had played it in the 80s, but to me, the "one on one fighter" type game is defined by Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken.  It's kind of hard to start with those games and then go back to this one and try to appreciate it. 

y3mIPuE1gfBWv9YEXPjGGPkuRPdNhTuJugB9s5zZ

Hummm!  Never play and you got 127,700, stage 9.  Me, I did arround that too after 10 games and realize my setting was not set for 1 play per game !!!

27 minutes ago, Mame Offender said:

I will be Paulie, score wise for this one...

MO, what that mean.  Sorry, I miss some sense in english :wacko:

So, there is my score tonigh.  130800 stage 9.  I'm myself surprise, I start to play with 3 lifes for practice, then go back to 1 live and boom, no mistake until stage 9.

But still bonus on 30,000 and 80,000 that's good.  Is it me or I think there is a bonus live at 110,00 too (80k + 30k)

20170220_233306.jpg

OH HAI

Who's this returning to GameEx?

Why it's me, your old pal Exed.

Apologies for not being here the past few months, so much has been going on and this month is the Yolympics competition in which I'm a team captain for the 2nd year in a row (and not doing all that great, really)

But THIS game I couldn't pass up. I've played it on the Game Boy Advance (and the GBA version gives you 3 lives to start and a hidden third "history" after you complete the first two) Even with one life, it's still no problem (and extra lives become available later on)

ExedExes - 258,900

0000.png

• Like 1

Well, I went to the mountain seeking the great master and after a whole lotta training montages, this is the best I could do...

2017-02-26 21_19_09-MAME_ Yie Ar Kung-Fu (program code I) [yiear] pic.png

I've never gotten a score as high as Ex put up. Some people just have natural talent. I guess I will just have to settle for my good looks. ;)

It's the control scheme that blew it for me.  It's hard to play when you're used to other fighting games requiring you to press the button AFTER you make your joystick move.  This one is in reverse, so it threw me off.  Your score was still pretty good considering.  I'm coming into this game having never heard of it or played it.  Meanwhile, our better scorers have some experience going into it.  It's all good though, it's just for fun! 

Our February GOTM contest is now over, but you don't have to stop playing this game!  We have our winner, but we look forward to receiving more submissions and the eventual dethroning!  Join me in congratulating ExedExes in his supremacy!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• 4 months later...