All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Repackaging Other Users' Media

humor4fun

I am collecting media from the forums here and the FTP for my own build, but I also would like to repackage them for others to use as an easy "I've got FX2 tables X, Y, Z so just unzip those files and it just works."

Do I need to get permission from members that posted their media for that sort of repackaging? I plan to put it all back onto the FTP anyway, but I want to clear it before I spend the time to pack them all up.

As an example, each zip would be in the form of:

• Citadel.zip
    • Media
      • Pinball FX2
        • Backglass Images
          • Citadel.png
        • Backglass Videos
          • Citadel.mp4
        • DMD Images
          • Citadel.png
        • DMD Video
          • Citadel.mp4
        • Launch Audio
          • Citadel.mp4
        • Table Audio
          • Citadel.mp4
        • Table Images
          • Citadel.png
        • Table Videos (flyby)
          • Citadel.mp4
        • Table Videos
          • Citadel.mp4
        • Wheel Images
          • Citadel.png
      • Company Logos
        • Zen Studios.png
      • System Logos
        • Pinball FX2.png
    • Databases
      • Pinball FX2
        • Citadel.xml

At this point I'm pretty far deep into collecting media and almost have a complete collection. I can of course include references to forum threads/members that I sourced some of the material from, but I can't do that with ALL of the media.

I would say that if you are doing it for consumption of members of the PinballX forums and material is sourced from content contributed to the PinballX community, attribution in a readme.txt file to the authors should be sufficient. Since the content is staying "in house" as it were, I don't have a problem with that.

My issue is with those that take from the forums with no attribution back to make others aware of PinballX and GameEx where they sourced them.

I know that on some of the other vpin sites that there are table packs with black glass, playfield and wheel images packed together. I usually discard what I don't want or need. I understand the why he would want to do this and appreciate the effort, but I much prefer to "roll my own" whenever possible.

There is so much variety that I think it is better to let the users explore and implement what they want in their setups.

Great feedback. 

I was hoping it would help some folks that are new to the software get a kickstart to just sort of turn it on and get it working. I've spent a lot of time and effort getting everything organized so that PBX just recognizes all the files without having to use the Game Manager at all (by matching the FX2 filenames). Perhaps instead of table packs, I should just repost my fileset onto the FTP with an example post on the forums so that anyone new could opt to buy into the FTP and have the turnkey ready there if they like the style choices I made.

Carny and Draco, you were both my largest contributor counts for files I think.

Pain in the ass that it can be to setup some things just starting out, you really learn more by getting your hands dirty setting it all up instead of having it fed to you. 

A lot of the errors that people report are related to misnamed media or not knowing where to find it or correct names in game list manager.

I agree, something like this is helpful for absolute beginners and I absolutely appreciate your effort. On the other hand I am not at all a fan of all those duplicates and multiplicates on the ftp. E.g. atm I am looking for a decent BG image to use for my BG videos and all I find is one or maybe two files at sometimes 10 positions. So, what might be an advantage when you begin, is a PITA when you get deeper into it.

Something else, there are several variations of Wheelies or BG Videos out there, so the packages only reflect your taste. it is ok for a beginner, but sooner or later you want it more to fit your own taste and look for original sources (mostly a hand full of threads). What I also see is, that those packages are not updated mostly, so you get outdated versions. So taken together i am more a fan of original sources even when you have so seek them.

But also, I don't want to stop you here... Maybe you should explicitely claim, that these are only duplicates collected elsewhere on Gamex

So, I just posted the start of my documentation. One motivation for this (perhaps better suited for a personal blog) is that, this was my experience. Others' experience will differ, but for someone totally new to the scene, I always find it helpful to be able to read the story and progress of someone who has gone through the build. 

As you guys mentioned, duplicate files in multiple places certainly has been an issue for me gathering everything together. I don't want to contribute to that chaos, but I do want to share my configuration. I totally get that my build represents my taste and agree that fumbling through the process causes a better understanding of the software and tech. I just think that there are probably people out there who want to get into this, but are totally overwhelmed by all the work it can require to produce a polished build. This is my way of making that bar of entry, not really lower, but more accessible.

Take a look at what I've put together and if you all think its rubbish, I'll shut up, take it down and be quiet. You three are monster creators in this community and I don't mean to step on toes, just promote your work.

I don't see it as stepping on my toes. I will often present answers to both sides of an argument to get the thinking part of the conversation engaged for all involved. I agree with @Carny_Priest with regards to seeing more people compiling original creations and sharing with the community.

I have seen in my years as an Admin for GameEx where users will pick the brains of the community to create their own theme, for example, but never share, while others wonder why there aren't many good themes to choose from. I am one that likes to skin and create, so I have created many themes for that frontend. Some good, some so-so, but many have benefitted from the time and effort and I enjoy doing it most of the time.

I am sure that some will benefit from your efforts to at least get things started. Be prepared for them coming to you if they don't quite get how to utilize the files or something goes amiss with a naming convention! :)

I agree with Draco. And I also don't feel stepped on my toes. This is a typical 2 opinions, both right situation. Because there are 2 points of view. That's all.

Anyways, I think you have completely got, what we meant, at least that's, what I read from your comments. So go on!

So why not call it something like "Collection for beginners"? Just from some reasons: beginners see, where they can easily start and everybody sees it is not original work. The latter one is not only to avoid stepping on somebody's toes, but also to make it easier for people to evaluate, where it came from. Be it to find more from that author or only to reference to, if you make a drivate of it.

And yes, I fail at the latter argument, too, because it's hard to trace origins within the web, but that's another discussion... I try to not step on someone's toes at least within the scene...

Just do it!