All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Can't show snap shot

zeck73

Good morning,
i've the last GameEx version.

My problem is that when select a game in MAME list i can't see the snapshot....but one game work fine (snapshot and marquee .. the rom is Buccaneer a PAC-MAN clone).

Can you help me ? I can't undestand the problem...

N.B.: if yu want the GameEx's log file, You have to tell me where he is it.

Thx

Zeck73

Hey zeck73,

So, your gameEx.ini says that:
...the Mame snaps are located in E:\MAME\snap.
...the Mame marquees are located in E:\MAME\marquees.

The name of the 4 in 1 game rom is 4in1.zip. In order for a graphic to appear, it must have the same name as the rom (except for the extension, of course). If I recall correctly, GameEx only supports jpg or png for image files. Check your snap and marquee folders to see if there is a graphic file called 4in1.jpg or 4in1.png. If they are named differently, do not exist, or are in a different format, you have found out why they do not appear.

Lastly, keep in mind that the theme does come into play here. It tells which assets are displayed on the screen and where they are displayed. Your theme appears to be straight forward with the snap in the upper left and marquee in the bottom left.

Hopefully this helps. Let us know what you find.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2017 at 3:24 PM, RedDog said:

Hey zeck73,

So, your gameEx.ini says that:
...the Mame snaps are located in E:\MAME\snap.
...the Mame marquees are located in E:\MAME\marquees.

The name of the 4 in 1 game rom is 4in1.zip. In order for a graphic to appear, it must have the same name as the rom (except for the extension, of course). If I recall correctly, GameEx only supports jpg or png for image files. Check your snap and marquee folders to see if there is a graphic file called 4in1.jpg or 4in1.png. If they are named differently, do not exist, or are in a different format, you have found out why they do not appear.

Lastly, keep in mind that the theme does come into play here. It tells which assets are displayed on the screen and where they are displayed. Your theme appears to be straight forward with the snap in the upper left and marquee in the bottom left.

Hopefully this helps. Let us know what you find.

As an add, each time you alter your MAME Setup you should "Update List" too, to gain the full benefit.

Making sure you have image files with matching names (and that you know how that works) is the most obvious thing to check. Some of the more obscure games may not have image files...so, we have that one out of the way.

I see that you are running an older machine (Dual core P4 3.0Ghz, 2GB Ram, and Windows XP). There is no graphic card listed i the log file, so I am also guessing that you are using onboard video. The next thing to consider is whether the machine can keep up with the graphic demands, even at 640x480. I've not tested a low res setup like that myself, so I am not sure what type of performance you might be able to expect (maybe one of the other guys with an arcade monitor will see this and chime in).

So, a few new questions: When snaps and marquees are not displayed, is it always the same ones that are 'missing' or do they come and go? Is the issue worse after the machine ahs run for awhile? Does rebooting the machine make things better for a time?

If the issue is ALWAYS with the same graphic files (such as 4in1 NEVER showing up), I suggest backing up those files and then copy over files from a different game and renaming them, just for testing. It is unlikely to be something like this, but you never know. Just because one program can use a file does not mean there isn't an incompatibility with another program. It really means that a faulty file is less likely.\

On my cab it is installed a VGA Arcade 3000.
I tried to increase the resolution to 800x600, but nothing has changed

The files do not always appear for the same roms(such as 4in1 NEVER showing up).

I tried to replace the Bucaner.png file (which it's work fine) with another file (which does NOT work with its rom...1on1gov),
well the file is displayed correctly when I select the rom Bucaner.
I am attaching the file to the message

Bucaner_Fake

1on1gov_oriinal.png

1on1gov_original

bucaner_fake.png

Bucaner_Original

bucaner_original.png

21 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

What happens if you change the line in your gameex.ini 

UseSnapBestMatch=False to UseSnapBestMatch=True?

@zeck73 You can also change it in the Setup Wizard in the Tweaks/Performance section. Good catch by @Draco1962.

@Draco1962 I think clearing the Mame cache so the files rebuild themselves would not be a bad idea too, but I do not recall which files those are. Do you know off-hand? EME_1000? or EMU_1002?

Hallo,

I tried to reinstall and reconfigure Gamex, but the result is identical
I tried with MameWah and Mala and these frontend there is no problem.

If you select a rom, in its details all images are visible (see attached file)

I resend Gamex.ini

Thx

Cattura.JPG

GameEx.ini

On 1/27/2017 at 9:25 PM, DazzleHP said:

As Draco says,

even if it's 1001-1200, it does not matter, no harm will come from purging cache files, in fact a lot of good will most likely come of it ;)

@Draco1962 Unless the mame cache is not within that range. Then we might think it has been reset, but it actually hasn't. I should have tried editing those files earlier, but I have poked around now. EMU_1000 is for Daphne, EMU_1002 for Steam, and EMU_801 for GameEx Online (I believe). Mame does nto appear to be among those and I can't find a reference to a cache when searching the forum. I assumed that there was a Mame cache in the same way that the other emulators' assets are cached. If Mame is handled differently in that respect, I am not familiar with it.

@zeck73 When you reinstalled GameEx, did you make sure the contents of the entire GameEx directory was cleared and then reinstalled fresh?

On 1/31/2017 at 4:19 AM, zeck73 said:

Yes!

@zeck73 Well, I thought that there was a cache to clear for Mame, but I just learned that there wasn't...so the fresh install you did was as good as that can get.

I hate to say but I am starting to run out of ideas for the Snap (top image). It is REALLY straight forward. For the theme you chose, that is Image1. Image1 simply displays a matching jpg or png from whatever folder you assign Snaps to in the Setup Wizard. Hopefuly we figure something out.

The lower image in your theme is Image2. There is more to this one. GameEx will first look for a Logo, then Margee, then Flyer, Cpanel, and then Title. When it does not find a match, it checks the next folder. Of course, these images must also be jpg or png and depend on whatever folder you assigned in the Setup Wizard.

Please do this: If what you ultimately want is the Snap on the top and the Marquee on the bottom, clear the paths for Logo, Flyer, Cpanel, and Title in the Setup Wizard. Then, recreate the GameEx game list (I am not sure if this is necessary, but usually when you change something in the Mame config, you want to do this).

If the changes do not lead to a fix or new information, please zip up the 4in1 image files into an archive and post the file here: Snap, Logo, Margee, Flyer, Cpanel, and Title. Since the files will all be named the same thing, just rename them to something like 4in1_logo.jpg, 4in1_marquee.jpg, etc. Change the filename, but not the extension. Also repost your GameEx.ini after the changes to the Mame setup.