All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

3D TV is dead

tthurman

This actually kind of pisses me off.  I've started buying 3D versions of all my movies to future-proof myself for when I buy a new TV.  Now they're going to end up being useless plastic.  I wonder if somebody more in the know, or willing to help look it up, could explain a bit of the tech to me.  A friend of mine in Canada said he doesn't have a 3D tv, but DOES have a 3D BluRay player and watches movies in 3D all the time.  He said that as long your TV is capable of 120 MHz, that's all that is required.  My TV I currently own is only 60 MHz, but does have a special mode that does 120 MHz, but only does it when there is a source outputting at that speed or something.  Now, is my buddy just blowing bubbles out his butt, or is this true?  If this is the case, I'll just buy a 3D BluRay player, and my next TV will be 120 MHz standard.  I just can't believe that companies like MicroSoft (Xbox One) and Sony (PS4) would develop a gaming system with 3D in mind, then turn around (in Sony's case) and stop making 3D TVs.  I get it that the 3D side of television may not have caught on (big surprise) but 3D movies and video games have got to have a bigger following.  When I was last looking at TV's a month or so ago just to judge prices and features, it looks like everything is going 4k now.  I honestly don't like the way it looks.  The refresh rates are so bad, it makes any kind of movement on the screen look fake.  They were showing Captain America (the 1st one) on the demo screens, and it looked like a bad buffering video you watch online.  Like, where the stream is playing, then the video pauses but the audio keeps going, then a few seconds later the video starts again but is going really fast to catch back up to the video.  It was pretty bad, I had to turn away.  Granted, it might just be ignorant employees not knowing how to configure and calibrate it (they just plugged it in and left it).  But to me, if you want to sell the product, you should be doing everything conceivable to make it appealing.  This was more appalling.

<sigh>

I guess I'll just have to settle for an older TV that would undoubtedly be discontinued by the manufacturer, meaning no more support for defects or breaking, no more updated firmware, etc.

It's all about price points. I never got into 3D because I did not want to pony out the money. I have a feeling this round VR for Games will probably also go that route...unless they can bring the prices down.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for holodecks!!!  ;)

• Like 1