All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Unable to play Karaoke Files

RedDog

19 hours ago, RedDog said:

@DazzleHP OK, so I finally took the time to try your suggestions. I uninstalled and cleaned. When I installed Sharks, the program suggested I tick off a checkbox named 'Shark007 SUGGESTED settings'. I DID NOT do that.

Why oh why did you not??

I understand, i've been gone for a while lately, and so i get why you will not take my advice on face value - to be honest i'd be the same!

But know that i only post if i feel i can help you out, whether you're a noob or an old hat, i won't bother to post unless i think i can contribute :)

If i'm wrong, i'll put my hands up and accpept it.

3 hours ago, DazzleHP said:

Why oh why did you not??

I understand, i've been gone for a while lately, and so i get why you will not take my advice on face value - to be honest i'd be the same!

But know that i only post if i feel i can help you out, whether you're a noob or an old hat, i won't bother to post unless i think i can contribute :)

If i'm wrong, i'll put my hands up and accpept it.

Quite the opposite. I was taking your advice without taking any steps beyond what you have said. I don't know a lot about codecs, so instead of making a misstep, I wanted to wait on you before moving forward.

I will enable the 'Shark007 SUGGESTED settings' as you commented.

Should I install the KaraokeDX as well or no?

On 28/02/2017 at 4:34 AM, RedDog said:

Quite the opposite. I was taking your advice without taking any steps beyond what you have said. I don't know a lot about codecs, so instead of making a misstep, I wanted to wait on you before moving forward.

I will enable the 'Shark007 SUGGESTED settings' as you commented.

Should I install the KaraokeDX as well or no?

Apologies - i may have come across a bit bitter there ^_^

It's just because i've seen this time and time again, and we given the advice, and it gets ignored, then we get comeback. "Oh, it did not work, i listened, but i did not what do you said, now it all went wrong, cries, boo! You guys suck! Fxxk you!

If people can be rational, and calm down a lil, everything will be all right!

• 4 weeks later...

A bump is OK,

But honestly, in my experience WMP is like the Dictator of all players. It demands you do this, you do that, and still refuses to give you anything in return. You will get nothing from it, no matter what you give.

• 2 weeks later...

@Draco1962 I did look at Karafun when I started, but I was put off when the first thing I saw was that it asked to set up an account. I was looking for a stand alone setup, so I started looking for other alternatives (hopefully relatively free). There really aren't many good ones unless you want to pony up a pretty good amount of money. After seeing your post, I looked at Karafun 2 for a few minutes. It does look like it can be used offline, so I may give it a more thorough look-see. Thanks.

Part of the reason I wanted to set up Karaoke was also to understand how it was done through the GameEx module so that I might be of help to someone in the future. I still would not mind getting it running, but after working with it a bit, I now realize that it is a pretty basic player with not a lot of bells and whistles. I will continue tinkering with GameEx to see if I can make it work anyway. Who knows, maybe Evolution will offer a beefier version...

• 5 months later...

I retested after the update and GameEx still does not want to play the .cda files when I try to 'run' a song. The screen goes blank for a moment and then returns to the list. The logs shows the following entries:
00:22:14.5  10/4/2017:  Loading Karaoke Cache
00:22:47.1  10/4/2017:  Playing Karaoke E:\Karaoke\Public Domain\La Bamba - Richie Valens\La Bamba - Richie Valens.cdg
00:22:47.1  10/4/2017:  Open Karaoke E:\Karaoke\Public Domain\La Bamba - Richie Valens\La Bamba - Richie Valens.cdg
00:22:47.1  10/4/2017:  Unable to open video

Oddly enough, the preview window does play the song and display the lyrics and they are in sync.

@Tom Speirs Some time ago, I started tinkering with Karafun as an alternative and it works pretty good (with quite a few more features). I am happy to continue troubleshooting this if it is not working as expected for other users, but if this is just an issue with my setup, we can close it out. Thanks.

log.txt

GameEx.ini

I have the 32 bit version installed (I had done it manually back when I started this thread), but did not realize there was a control panel for it until now. I opened it and set up the file associations. The majority of my files are .cdg. There isn't much else that jumps out at me to change though, unless you have a suggestion.

I can now double click on .cdg files in Windows Explorer and windows media center will work as expected, playing the music and showing the lyrics.

However, there is no change in GameEx. The preview still plays the music and shows the lyrics, but when I click on a song, GameEx flashes black and returns to the list. The log also looks similar.

Does this work properly for other users then?

log.txt

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

I am on Windows 10 also and was having the same issue, so I thought it was a Window 10 thing. I found Karaoke for DirectX 2.3 on another site, was recommended so I tried that and edited the registry file as they recommended and it still did not work.

But I ended up just right clicking the CDG file and selecting Open With, and then selecting Windows Media Player, and also selecting the "Always open with this program" check box. This actually got it to work for me. Do your CDG files show the Karaoke for DirectX icon or Windows Media Player icon? They should show the Windows Media Player icon. When you first open it this way, you also get an error message from Windows Media Player, but you can select the "Never Show this again" message box thing.

Sorry if this is a newb response and you already tried this, but I was getting frustrated with it not working for me and I felt silly that the fix was so easy, at least in my situation.

• Thanks 1

@jmk That was Windows 7 that I was working with. I fooled around with it a lot, so I got pretty familiar with the ins and outs of what 'should' happen.  :)   I installed the directx Karaoke (regular and beta) and was able to get Karaoke working in Windows Media Player (CDG files), but I never could get it fully working in GameEx for some reason. The song preview in the list would work fine (showing the lyrics for a short time for example), but launching a song always failed. In the end I turned to other projects and let it go. Instead I went with Karafun as a stand alone application launched from GameEx.

GameEx's Karaoke is pretty bare-boned and lacks many features that really makes a karaoke setup work. It's fine for a small song list, but not so much for a large library.

• 8 months later...

I have my old PC running Win7 and Gameex karaoke with karaoke directX works perfect.  I've got a new PC with Win10 and when I click the songs in karaoke it goes blank for a second but them flashes back to the song menu. I've decided to follow RedDog and use Karafun. I can get it to launch with the correct song. The issue I'm having is the new player doesn't have a full screen option so you see the side menu and the library below. Also no keys work to close the song and take it back to gameex. I can close Karafun each time and let it reload and launch. I've tried to find an older version of Karafun but 2.7 is the only version I can find. 

log.txt

GameEx.ini