kyoo

Version Expired

35 posts in this topic

I must have bad luck..  first I start with the GameEx Arcade Edition and it didn't work as a fresh install (see other thread in that forum)..

Next I read that Tom and other devs are spending much of  their time on GameEx Evolution.. so I decide to give that a try after doing a full reinstall of Windows 10 again..

I spend the day getting it configured and finally launch it for the first time and blamo..

Version Expired.

Please download new version.

It seems like you feel you haven't gotten your money's worth, but this will be looked at as soon as Tom has the opportunity.  Like many of the rest of us, he isn't necessarily immediately available around the holidays.  You can try unplugging your machine from the internet as a work around until this issue is corrected.

Additionally, Tom is still quite focused on GameEx (Arcade Edition), and likewise development these two products is just as active as it is for EVO or PBX.  No product is taking a back seat to the other.

There's a thought. Thanks! 

@Tom Speirs, let me know how I can get passed this expiration message. I think you just have to update a date on the server side..

Thanks guys.. Happy New year!

So, I tried pulling the ethernet cable (wifi wasn't set up yet, so it was off) and launched GameEx Evolution..  I got the same expiration message.. perhaps it cached the fact that it is old...??  I was hoping to wrap up this project before I head back to work tomorrow.. ;(

I have not received this message, but I only downloaded Evolution last week.  I might recommend locating your regkey file that was giving to you when you initially purchased the product via email.  Place that on your desktop and open it.  That could fix the issue.

If you don't have the regkey, I would suggest contacting Tom in an appropriate way to obtain your regkey.  Outside of that, I do not know what you would see a version expiration.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, MNMax21 said:

I have not received this message, but I only downloaded Evolution last week.  I might recommend locating your regkey file that was giving to you when you initially purchased the product via email.  Place that on your desktop and open it.  That could fix the issue.

This is a good idea, and in fact i was going to suggest it myself until i saw Max's post. As said, the reg key (registry file) should be in an email somewhere. Double-click it as Admin and all should be OK ^_^

To be clear, find your reg key in your email, (it will will have the extension .regkey , .gxkey or something similar, bottom line is it will have a an icon of tiny little light blue bricks :D)

You may have to extract it first, to see the real file (i assume you can do that)

Download it and put it on your root drive, ie C:\

Right click it and choose "Run as Admin".

Choose yes, yes, ok, affirmative etc.

Oh.. so Evolution isn't "free" still?  I thought it was free in the Alpha.. the only reg key I have is for GameEx (the original)..    If I need to pay for Evolution just to "try it", perhaps that is where I've gone wrong..  ??  Maybe my regular GameEx registry key is fouling things up for the Evolution one.  Is that possible?

17 minutes ago, kyoo said:

Oh.. so Evolution isn't "free" still?

Evolution is still in Alpha stage

While Tom and his development team are actively working on this, they have offered it for free in order to obtain feedback on it.  It most certainly shouldn't be considered a stable release at this point and time.

Right.. That's in line with what I had read thus far. Is there a Evolution reg key I need to get? How? 

I removed the Game Ex reg key from the registry and tried again.. Same message..

Next I will set my system clock back 6 months and see..

13 minutes ago, kyoo said:

Right.. That's in line with what I had read thus far. Is there a Evolution reg key I need to get? How? 

I removed the Game Ex reg key from the registry and tried again.. Same message..

Next I will set my system clock back 6 months and see..

Actually i think that might be my mistake, apologies, you should be able to just install alpha Evo from scratch with no problems ( provided you are installing on your root drive ie still C:\) :)

Yep. It's in the default location on C:

I set my system clock back 6 months and it loaded.. Wonderful..

But why? 

Now to figure this beast out. 

Any update on the version expiry issue of the alpha?

Patience, please. The author is wrapping up his holiday and will address when he returns.

1 person likes this

Tom could very easily step in here and prove me wrong, but I'd be somewhat surprised if you saw any intermittent releases to address this unless it was a really widespread problem.  I'd tend to believe it is more likely that issues discovered over the course of the initial alpha will be collected, squashed, and then come in the form of a roll-up of fixes along with perhaps further enhancements.  Assuming a relatively normal dev cycle, it wouldn't surprise me to see continued steps tweaking the current alpha before a full on beta is released. 

This is all of course only an assumption on my part.

I encountered the version expiration issue last night when trying to open Evolution.  I have not yet tried to troubleshoot.  My plan tonight is to uninstall and reinstall.  I had already updated my regkey, based on the fact that I had to do a clean install of GameEx recently.  I have a few things to try.  Last night, I could not get the program to open, but I was able to edit things in the wizard.  I am not sure if the .ini is active, but I may check there and make sure I did not do something wrong.  I will update with anything I figure out.

1 person likes this

It could be entirely unrelated Max, but I recall you uninstalled GameEx proper.  You might want to check this post.

I haven't been able to download Evolution a second time as of yet. Not sure what the issue is. My GameEx works great.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for holding the fort guys. Its only a simply expiry check and setting back the time in windows will work. I will be back in the office Monday week. There is quite a lot to do to get a new build out because of all the progress made on Evolution since the Alpha. We are going to have something much bigger soon anyway. So just try the date thing.

Thanks for the heads up.  I think I am going to try and figure this wheel stuff and get it all nice and pretty before I delve too far into the fun!

7 hours ago, MNMax21 said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I think I am going to try and figure this wheel stuff and get it all nice and pretty before I delve too far into the fun!

If you figure it out, let me know how.. so far my Evolution boots up slowly and rebuilds XML files each time and displays a boring list view... Looking forward to the newer build Tom just eluded to..

I'm finding that many of the issues I come across are things that I have yet to setup or I have setup incorrectly. Evolution uses folder directories for HyperSpin, which can be assigned in the settings. This would enhance your list view. Up to this point, I had no prior experience with HyperSpin. I have now delved into that and I am enjoying it. I didn't do much looking into this originally, because I liked the ease of use of GameEx. Now, having actually used HyperSpin, I like GameEx even more. I'm struck by the fact that you need two programs to basically operate the thing and the file structure is confusing the heck outta me. The graphics are pretty sweet, but working is a bigger thing to me. I'm very thankful that Tom decided to do Evolution as a separate piece and leave the original GameEx the way it is. If you need assistance with HyperSpin setup, I would suggest viewing the YouTube video that SimplyAustin made. It helped me get the basics down. I'm now moving into a more advanced setup.

1 person likes this

Yes.  But, I have only watched the first video on that list.   I have been trying to maneuver my way through the rest of it on my own, but I think I may need some more instruction! ;)

Edit note:  I don't think you're getting off topic, as it seems having a working HyperSpin product enhances Evolution.  I think this would be the correct location to discuss that.  Maybe not the correct thread, but at least it would be in the Evolution area, as I think it will help people in the future. 

Another note.  You will not have all the needed media for HyperSpin when you follow Simply Austin's first video.  I am in the process of trying to figure that stuff out.  The things that have been driving me bonkers are the file names and theme structure in HyperSpin.  When you edit themes, it has Artwork 1, Artwork 2, Artwork 3 and Artwork 4.... Who does that?  I cannot figure out if 1 means marquee or what is going on...   I understand HyperSpin is somewhat of a competitor to GameEx and I don't know the rules on postings involving it.  I assume complaining about it is ok!  haha