All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] "Version expired. Please download new version"

Lizard

Yes, the firewall block isn't working for me.  Not sure how to get around it.  Just started having the issue around the same time as the rest of you posting today.  Playing offline is my only way to make PinballX work, and Steam needs internet.

Enable a firewall rule to block PinballX from talking to the internet so we can play Pinball without getting the "Version Expired. Please Download New Version." error for those of us that already are running the newest version.  Note: This is successfully tested on my Win7 Pinball cab, but I also tested the commands on Win10 and it does create/delete the rule there successfully too.

Copy and paste the following command in a command prompt window if you don't want to mess with the Windows Firewall GUI.  (Start > Run > CMD)

-Please note, if your path to the executable is different, you will need to edit the path to the .exe.  Also, some may be using PinballXLite.exe instead.  Make the adjustments as needed.

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Block PinballX" dir=out action=block program="c:\pinballx\pinballx.exe" enable=yes

Here's the command to delete the rule that was just created; when a fix as been rolled out and you want to return to normal.  Again, copy and paste the following command in a command prompt window.

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Block PinballX" dir=out

I attached the commands above in the form of batch files as well, if someone would rather use that.  See attachments.

Happy New Year everyone!  Now go play some Pinball! :)
Smoke.007

Unblock PinballX.bat

Block PinballX.bat

Edited by Smoke.007
insert the code as code, added batch files, added comment that user's path could be different or alt PinballXLite.exe could be used
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Smoke.007 said:

Enable a firewall rule to block PinballX from talking to the internet so we can play Pinball without getting the "Version Expired. Please Download New Version." error for those of us that already are running the newest version.  Note: This is successfully tested on my Win7 Pinball cab, but I also tested the commands on Win10 and it does create/delete the rule there successfully too.

Copy and paste the following command in a command prompt window if you don't want to mess with the Windows Firewall GUI.  (Start > Run > CMD)

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Block PinballX" dir=out action=block program="c:\pinballx\pinballx.exe" enable=yes

Here's the command to delete the rule that was just created; when a fix as been rolled out and you want to return to normal.  Again, copy and paste the following command in a command prompt window.

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Block PinballX" dir=out

I attached the commands above in the form of batch files as well, if someone would rather use that.  See attachments.

Happy New Year everyone!  Now go play some Pinball! :)
Smoke.007

Unblock PinballX.bat

Block PinballX.bat

Don't forget that some users will need to edit the location of PBX as we don't all have it living in the same place.

• Like 1

I am having the same issue which sucks as I just setup 8 tables and media in the manager and installed  a VPin plunger and spent a good part of the day setting it up on my only day off this week. Totally grateful for the support and the program and all that Tom and the crew does but damn I am bummed.  Fingers crossed the firewall trick works.

Smoke.007,

Thanks for the commands to use windows firewall to block and unblock pinballx programs from connecting to the internet.  It is working well for me.  I too was trying to show a fried my visual pinball setup when it I got the expiration dialog box.  I am sure it will get fixed soon.  Thanks again for the work around.

Steve

How-To: Fix PinballX "expired" error

KB013 - How-To: Fix the PinballX "expired" error

The problem occurs as a result of an uppercase / lowercase typo within the PinballX (pinballx.ini) configuration file. It’s a quick and easy fix.

• Close PinballX if it's open
  • Click 'Windows Explorer' icon on taskbar
  • Double click 'Local Disk (C:)'
  • Double click 'PinballX' folder
  • Double click 'Config' folder
  • Double click the 'PinballX' file
  • Scroll all the way to the bottom
  • Change the UPPERCASE letter "P" to a lowercase letter "p" on the following lines:

[Partner]
DontDisplayUpdateMessage=True
Code=VPCabs1012

If you also have these lines change the "P" to lowercase here too:

[Parnter]
Code=VPCabs1012

• Click the [X] to close window and SAVE when prompted
  • Close all open windows and restart PInballX
  • Like 5

Chaser,

I added the following lines with lowercase "p"  to my pinballx.ini and it resolved the issue.  I no longer need to block pinballx.exe from connecting to the internet.

[Partner]
Code=VpCabs1012

Thanks

• Like 4

I have the .ini file in the location that you referenced, but strangely, I don't have that string of code listed anywhere.  Any reason what that code is, and why some of us may or may not have it?  I'm using the latest version of PinballX.

Thanks,

Jason

I also did not have a [Partner] section in my C:\PinballX\Config\PinballX.ini file, but adding the following to the end of the ini file and saving it did fix PinballX without the need to block it via Windows Firewall.  Wierd.

[Partner]
Code=VpCabs1012

Thanks Chaser for the info!

• Like 2