All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] "Version expired. Please download new version"

Lizard

Whats the deal with the version expired warning when i fire up my cab today. I remember reading something about it a while ago keeping up to date support wise but its a bit of a joke if i haven't updated my cab in a while that i cannot even fire it up. I had a few people over today and fired it up to show them and no go, pretty dissapointing it's a bit like microsoft really a pain in the arse especially for an automated cab. Fortunately this is the only blemish to an otherwise excellent front end.

Edit Apparently need to look what section i post in, was reffering to pinballx

Hi Lizard,

the problem is known for quite a while but it is Tom's explicit wish to raise the error like described. The only solution so far for us is to disconnect our cabs from the internet, as the version check is not performed while the PC is offline.

Regards
Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried to run PinballX on my cab. It was working yesterday but now say "VERSION EXPIRED" and wants me to download the latest version.

I have done this but it still says the same thing. Can anyone explain to be what has happened?

Hey, just wanted to chime in that I experienced it today as well - actually between running it, setting up some new tables in Game Manager, and restarting it.  Which made me think I did something wrong (besides adding tables I increased the attract mode times to 2 minutes in Setings).  The author mentioned in that referenced post that it was a 'bug' in the installer and was going to be updated.  Is that still the case?  

I tried to do an over the top install but no dice.  Since I did have the latest version installed a few weeks ago, installing that same version didn't seem to do the trick.  Guess I have to uninstall.

I understand that the software is free and I'm totally appreciative of the effort (enough to at least sign up for a basic membership for a year), but it is a wee bit o'hassle, at least from the standpoint of being automated for the kiddos to just turn on and go play some pinball.  I caught it this time and it is no big deal - just wondering how often this might occur.  Not that I'm complaining!

Unfortunately I keep my cab online since Steam doesn't want to play nice and always shows a prompt to start a game in offline mode even though I ask it nicely not to (e.g. starting it and going offline and restarting, no internet).

hi there, same here unfortunately, i have already downloaded ver 2.28 and reinstalled and no joy, dont really want to go for a clean install and i also fear that if i build friends cabs using pinballx and there is a time limit in the program and yet no new version exists, i cant really see the point of that function ?

can you just remove this time limit for ppl that want to build cabs and occasionally connect them to the internet for new table installs please ?

Kind Regards

Steve

i got to the same issue and thanks for the solution for disconnecting from internet

BUT this is very nasty, we NEED internet connection to have the DOF auto updates from the Configtool when we start our cab, so please remove this check

This happens with the new version.

Yesterday day 1 worked. Today 2 says expired version. I downloaded it and installed it again (see 2.28) and it still gives the same problem.

At first I thought it might be the year change, but then it should not have worked yesterday.

Disconnecting from the internet is not a valid option, Pinball FX2, Pinball Arcade and Pro-Pinball need internet connection.

-----------------

Esto! Ocurre con la nueva versión.

Ayer día 1 funcionaba. Hoy Día 2 expirada dados versión. La he descargado e Instalado de nuevo (ver 2.28) y Sigue Dando El Mismo Problema.

Al Principio Pense Que Podia Ser el Cambio de año, then Pero hay Ayer deberia Haber funcionado.

Desconectar de Internet No Es Una Opción Válida, Pinball FX2, Pinball Arcade y Pro-Pinball necesitan una Conexión a Internet.

Same here.  Must be some type of server problem, since it's clearly checking the internet to determine if the program has expired.  I didn't even realize PinballX was checking-in online on each startup.  In any case, thanks for the workaround...at least I'm up and running again.  Today is my last day of break before going back to work, and it would have been a pity if I couldn't get PinballX running. :)

A really nice tool for managing your local Windows firewall, is Windows Firewall Control: http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

Try it, for those that want to simplify things, turn on notifications and medium filtering.  Launch each thing you have that communicates to the Internet, either click on the create a blocking rule when it pops up notifying you it is trying to communicate, or click on the allow rule.  You can then block specifically what you want or don't want communicating to the Internet.