All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Defender

YOU'VE been busy?  What about me?  I've turned into an unsupporting administrator rather than an active participant.  I've been too busy with side projects, like my NesPi and the Sega Genesis hub.  I have so much TV to catch up on it's not even funny.  And don't get me started on just sitting back, relaxing, and just playing for high scores.  :( No biggies.  We all play when we can. 

How would you (active) guys feel about maybe doing a new game every 2 months?  Maybe it'll help give more people a chance to enter?

50 minutes ago, hansolo77 said:

YOU'VE been busy?  What about me?  I've turned into an unsupporting administrator rather than an active participant.  I've been too busy with side projects, like my NesPi and the Sega Genesis hub.  I have so much TV to catch up on it's not even funny.  And don't get me started on just sitting back, relaxing, and just playing for high scores.  :( No biggies.  We all play when we can. 

How would you (active) guys feel about maybe doing a new game every 2 months?  Maybe it'll help give more people a chance to enter?

Some game need more time.  like this one.  but for some other 1 month is enough.  we can extend if we like ?  at same time, i understand your point , its your time you take to make this maintenance of high score.  

13 hours ago, patrickfx said:

So, MO, what is your setup layout for this game ?  Mine, is a 6 buttons layout.  So, I can't reach a button with my thumb on left hand !!!  Like the original defender game

Hmm, I must say, not being able to hit a button with your thumb for reverse like on the original cabinet would be disappointing.  As a happy accident when I built my control panel, there is a button in the perfect spot for the thumb.  This is the configuration I've been using lately:

left-most joystick - up/down (left hand)

1 - reverse (left thumb)

2 - thrust (right hand)

3 - fire (right hand)

4 - smart bomb (right hand)

I don't even bother mapping a button to hyperspace because I'm not good enough to make any use of it.  

If all goes to plan I'll be testing my mettle on a real machine on Friday evening.  Any score I get will probably not be admissible here because I doubt the machine will be set up for TGTS, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. :)

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the mapping MO

Like tou guess, my joystick is a little more away then you.  plus i have medium hand size.

So, i will continue to make some adjustment.

You are lucky to be able to try a real machine.  in canada, there is not a lot of place.  but they open a new concept bar in montreal where there is retro arcade with drink.  7$ for game free.

Anyway, nice atari layout.  thats why you are good on game :)

48 minutes ago, patrickfx said:

Like tou guess, my joystick is a little more away then you.  plus i have medium hand size.

You are lucky to be able to try a real machine.  in canada, there is not a lot of place.  but they open a new concept bar in montreal where there is retro arcade with drink.  7$ for game free.

I'd like to take credit, but you should be thanking Cynicaster.

Anyway, down to business, guys.  Wow.  What a difference it makes when you only get 5 ships in total!

I played about 6 games on the new setting and only managed 50k+ once.

Setting 09 ---- 05 ships

Setting 08 ---- 000000 (no free men)

MAM

14841760616621072229245.jpg

14841761069371757727342.jpg

Thanks for being honest about your scoring MO.  Without even playing it myself, it does indeed look like there is a huge increase in difficulty (if just for the lack of ships).  Maybe I'll find time to play this tomorrow.

Updated OP, DB, RSS

OK Patrickfx, it's your turn to put up a score on this very difficult game.  RTKIII should be showing up with a score soon.  Hansolo, hopefully you get up on the boards too!

MO

On 1/11/2017 at 5:16 PM, patrickfx said:

Hey, I'm in Canada too.  :)

But you're right--retro arcades are pretty rare in Canada, compared to the US (as far as I can tell, anyway).  There is certainly no such thing in my city; the arcade I will be visiting tonight is in Michigan.

• Like 1

OK, there is my score 17200 in today score, and 24475 yesterday.  Not sure if it's acceptable in All time greatest since I quit game and come back today.  

I will let Hansolo decide.

Note : I still keep the best control for me at least, trhut is activated on left or right stick.  For sure, this control layout do not able me to be on TG but at least, I can enjoy a little this great and fun game.

20170115_105827.jpg

• Like 1

I would say that is legit, as long as it's your initials, which it is.

Not a bad score.  

Yeah, Defender is a very well made game for its time; 1980.  Very difficult to master.   The challenge makes you come back to it.  

The gameplay is smooth, but will slow down with too much action going on the current screen.  This would explain why sometimes when you smart bomb multiple Pods, the resultant Swarmers may appear elsewhere on the planet.  They get 'hypered' off the screen.  The reason Dr. J (Eugene Jarvis) did this was to minimize slowdowns.  A big memory hog on Defender was the Bombers.  Sometimes you can have 5 Bombers on the screen at a time!  

PS.  Twin Galaxies clearly doesn't want anyone but the best of the best of the best.  5 lives; 5 smart bombs.  Good frickin luck.

Ok, there is my score tonight 32475.  Wep, it's a very good challenging game, addictive too.  The explosion is so impressive, so simple but effective.

My finger start to get it, I don't have to think about it now, it's a good point.  1 second of thinking and boom!  You are dead

20170115_212816.jpg

• Like 1

Grr you guys!   Why you gotta make me a bad guy?  I can't accept these last 2 entries because you guys have multiple credits in the machine!  Those are our rules man!  I've let it slide before but I just can't do it anymore.  If it alienates you guys, I'm sorry.  Fair's fair.  :(

On the plus side, it looks like you guys have some growing experience, so you should be able to get there legit!  I'll still accept @patrickfx's score he managed to earn on Sunday.  I can't accept the higher one though because I have no way to determine if you followed the 1 game 1 credit rule.  I hope that's ok?

Updated OP, DB, RSS

2 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

Grr you guys!   Why you gotta make me a bad guy?  I can't accept these last 2 entries because you guys have multiple credits in the machine!  Those are our rules man!  I've let it slide before but I just can't do it anymore.  If it alienates you guys, I'm sorry.  Fair's fair.  :(

On the plus side, it looks like you guys have some growing experience, so you should be able to get there legit!  I'll still accept @patrickfx's score he managed to earn on Sunday.  I can't accept the higher one though because I have no way to determine if you followed the 1 game 1 credit rule.  I hope that's ok?

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Oh! sorry.  I didn't remember that rule.  But I'm not sure how you can know about 1 game 1 credit rule ? When the game is over, I understand you see the credit left, but ... hummm! maybe I miss something important here !  Need to go sleep now.

Thanks.  You are a good ref!  Like you said, we should get to that score again without problem.