All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Goddamn... Carrie Fisher too?

the_greeze

Don't wish for 2017 too soon.  With Trump being the new USA President, we'll see nuclear WW3 next year I know it.  He's already been quoted saying something like "we need MORE nukes to prove to the rest of the world that we have more and we're not to be messed with."  I mean, the guy is NOT a politician.  Has no background credit.  He spreads money around, and will no doubt make things tighter for everybody but the top 1%.  And he just announced he's selected Bush's counter-terrorism chief as his own.  I mean, clearly that guy doesn't know what he's doing if 9/11 was allowed to happen.  Uhg.  It'll be something amazing if Trump makes it through his first year without getting assassinated.

But yeah, can't believe Carrie Fisher died.  A little of myself died with her.  So sad.  Just can't believe it.  :(

I wonder what that'll do to the franchise? I imagine she had a part in Episode 8, I wonder how they will kill her; They already killed her husband!!! Who's next...Luke? Food for thought come episode 9, if he makes it that far. I mean, they're dropping like flies!

Shocking:( That really sucks for the family. Not quite Kennedy level, but damn tragic none the less.

At least their deaths were quick, no withering away for years, fading out in diminishing states of helplessness while the elder care industry milks all that you have worked hard to save up and hoped to leave your family - like everyone in our family. It's really hard to watch my Grandmother go through this and leaves me feeling guilty for wishing it would end before it bankrupts my grandfather, he may still need the money. Who knows how long he'll live after grandma dies. Sometimes I feel like she's the only reason he has lasted this long, I know he's the reason she has held on. Other time I feel like it taken years away from him and our time with him by extension. I get more time with grandma, so that's the other side. Death just sucks all the way around. It's too hard to dwell on, so I'm done thinking about death for the rest of the year. Hopefully 2017 will be better, Trump not withstanding.

Going fast is a a good and bad thing. My mom knew she was dying for the last year. She was taking steps to get everything sorted out. She wouldn't admit it, but it was fairly obvious. She finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with cancer in her lungs, liver, and brain. She died 45 days later. While I'm extremely sad that she died so quickly, I'm just as happy that she didn't have to suffer, and that my dad isn't left in financial ruin paying for treatments.

I wish your grandma, and family, well Felix. Death does suck all around, and there's no real good way to look at it. Just take the small comforts as they come.

Also, 2016 can suck it.

7 hours ago, Kustom Kid said:

I wish your grandma, and family, well Felix. Death does suck all around, and there's no real good way to look at it. Just take the small comforts as they come.

Also, 2016 can suck it.

Thanks, but no amount of wishing can make the inevitable "well." There's nothing remotely ok about senior living facilities. I know what you mean to say though, and I appreciate the kindness. In case you interested in a serious downer enclosed in spoilers is our general experiance:

Spoiler

$50k/yr + medical expenses, which they can't do in house and require my grandpa to taker her to the clinic, when he really shouldn't be driving. There's no convincing him, but he's reluctantly come to realize many of his limitations, which are mounting at a geometric rate. We're in the last few years, but then we thought that 5 years ago. My boss's husband is going through the same thing, he's 96yr old (they have a large age gap) and his decline is moving on the same trajectory and course, but at a faster rate due to his advanced age. It starts with decreased mobility leading to increased partner responsibility, partner reaching the limit and requiring help (injury, health scare, partners exhaustion and diminishing health), assisted living, regular trips to/from and all the logistics/guilt that entails (am I helping/visiting enough or too much), serious financial stress, health scares, weight loss, drugs, depression, dementia, decreasing lucidity, and finally something vital will wear out. Not to mention the boredom broken by bouts of humiliation and the occasional visits from family. There's the awkward calls to relatives in a demented state and the angry calls from relatives admonishing us in errant response. Then there's the stories of elder abuse and abuse by the elderly upon facility staff, which may or may not lies/dementia or at least the emotional embellishment on normal spouts, forcing you to take sides or ride the line. It's been my experience that there are pros/cons at every facility, and none are ideal. I know she's safer, more comfortable, and closer to my grandpa/family (just down the road ~5mins away) where she is now. So the reports of elder abuse and long wait time to use the restroom (>45mins? That's infuriating...If it's true. And I hate myself for questioning her about that kind of thing, but we can't trust her memory when she hallucinates whole conversations and events) are something we're actually willing to overlook given the cons of the other places we've rescued her from (how F#%Ked up is that?) However, the very worst thing about not dying quickly is the guilt/confusion I feel over the fact I will be more relieved than sad when she finally dies. This is my grand mother (we are close) too, but it's not my mom or dad or someone I'm even closer to and rely on for emotional stability in life. I can only imagine the feeling my mom/dad (his parents are starting down the same path now too) are going through, given it's their immediate guiding compasses in life on the verge of leaving them alone in turbulent waters.

While no death scenario is ideal, at least quick deaths are associated with less confusing and generally accepted emotions, like shock and sadness, perhaps guilt if there's something you wish you could've done or reconciled (which, admittedly, slow deaths provide more time to allow. That's one silver lining I can think of). Then too you can avoid the senior living facility. I just wish the next death I have to deal with happens at night in bed, at an advanced age when everyone knows it's coming sometime soon, and before health diminishes to the point where an assisted living facility is required. But then we don't get to choose, we just have to deal with it as it comes. And please God, I hope I never have to deal with a disappearance or murder. The mix of confusing emotions (shock, sadness, anger, guilt, numbness, disbelief, and I hope I never know what else) must be the worst of all. I look forward to the day Revelation 21:4 comes true, "and he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will morning nor outcry  nor pain be anymore. The former things have past away." If nothing else good comes from these emotions, it motivates me to be there to see that day come true.

• Like 1

I know that it is no consolation, but I am dealing with the dementia issues you mentioned with my mom for the last few years. I have a sibling that is living with my mom in her house now, but for the two years prior, they had a falling out and she had moved away. It was then that I discovered that she further along than I had known. My mom, before dementia reared it's ugly head, was demanding, passive aggressive, and sometimes mean. Dementia seems to amplify those traits, making it difficult to know when there are issues when she has been in rehab following several hospitalizations due to falls, UTIs, overdose of medications, etc. I have nearly lost my job trying to be there for her for appointments and all other related needs. Now I am dealing with my own health, depression and anxiety issues. It is a nasty disease and it takes those supporting along for the nasty ride. You and yours are in my prayers.

• Like 1

@Mike and friends, it's these things that make you a soldier, a knight, a force to be reckoned with. You wouldn't be as strong as you are without them. They knock you down, and build you up again, each time reinforcing your resolve. This is what makes you, this is what separates you from the humdrum, this is what makes you special. Don't you forget it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...