RIP-Felix

NEStalgia Project (Mini NESpi)

hansolo77    742

If you want to do a miniGenesis, look at this:

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/6003/pi-in-a-sega-genesis-usb-hub-build

I built one (my progress and queries are in that thread). Didn't turn out as nice as his because I couldn't get the switch to work right.  Ended up just taking out the built in one and using the one I ordered instead.  Haven't booted it up recently though.  I should do that and try to install one of the new MINI themes.  :)  Goes great with the Streets of Rage Remake port!

Adultery    70333

Good luck finding that Genesis hub for a reasonable price! ;)

hansolo77    742

Yeah there was a guy in one of the RetroPi groups on Facebook who was asking people if he should do it or not.  People were saying not to because this is a collector's item.  He ignored them of course and did it anyway.  I don't know if I would do it.  As for the Hub.. you can get it fairly cheap ($19.99) at Shirtpunch.  But their site appears to be down for updating, even though it was supposed to be back on August 2nd.  They're just a reseller though.  They were originally created and sold somewhere else for (I think) Nerd Block.  I just looked on ebay.. you're gonna spend a little more money there.  I bought 2, with the plan being to make one as a rough draft first attempt, and then do it right the 2nd time.  So I still have my unopened backup.  Hell, I should sell it on ebay like these idiots and get $100 bucks for it.

Adultery    70333

I thought it was part of one of those monthly boxes? Loot Crate or some such thing? Maybe they come back online and I get one reasonably cheap!!

RIP-Felix    190

Sorry I didn't post earlier, work demanded my full attention.

I like the hub idea. I saw that earlier and thought it would be a perfect little GenesisPi build. As for the collectors statue, I'm not really into it. I don't really like these sort of collectables. The NES/SNES classics I do, because they're functional; they play games, not just sounds. So I'd have no qualms about ripping a genesis statue apart, if I wanted one - it's too big for me. It's just a hunk of plastic they sell for ridiculous markup to generate hysteria, which is interest in the company (AKA advertising). Basically, collectables are us paying them for advertising their company. On the plus side, it's more effective than a commercial and can produce some cool toys occasionally. What kills me about the practice is that when they hit upon a collectable, one everyone wants and would otherwise justify a full production run, they keep supply short so it stays in the realm of collectables. At that point it should graduate to a full product, but no, they want the publicity. So screw them, it's mine. I bought it. I can rip it's guts out and replace with a pi if I want to. I don't have to play to their game.

• Like 1

hansolo77    742

Yeah.  How many movies do I have on my bookshelf that say "Collector's Edition", when there's nothing collectible about it?  "Limited Edition" because they just write that on the packaging.  An original NES Classic?  That's a true collector's item because the supply produced was extremely limited and not to be made again.  The same is true with comics.  They have their regular print covers, then make a bunch of alternate "variant" covers.  People think those variant's are collector's items because they're different.  Truth is, they make the same amount of each cover.  The ones that are valuable are the ones that are limited, like the ones that say you can only have 1 per 50 issues you order for the store, or limit 1 total per store.  My local comic guy doesn't sell 50 issues of that book, so no he won't order it just to get that 1 in 50 cover for me.  I understand.  That's why they're hot online, because retailers who are online can order 500 copies and get 10 copies of that cover, and sell it for $100, while still being able to move out all the 490 "regular" covers.  It's just getting so bad now.  Marvel and DC are coming out with 10 covers for each book.  They figure people are too ignorant and will spend BIG money to buy each cover.  So the quality of the material is crumbling to make way for the business of making money.  I got a Wolverine issue that had absolutely no text in it.  It was all pictures, with 3 of them being two-page spreads.  That's not a comic, that's an art book.  40 years ago, comics would take you an hour to read because they would have paragraphs of text on each page.  I was furious, that Wolverine book was $4.99, and took me like 30 seconds to "read".  And, of course, there were like 8 variant covers, some that sold for $150 on ebay.  No thanks.

RIP-Felix    190

Yeah comics are another story. Big business has really taken over and ruined the spirit. I was never really into comics, but I remember marvel trading cards in the 90 were the shiz and cool as hell. Now trading cards are a huge waste of money. Magic the gathering, basketball/baseball cards, pogs, then shamefully pokemon. I still have a box full of pokemon cards in the garage somewhere. I had some youthful fixations. I doubt any of it is worth any serious cash now. So collectable my butt. Perceived value to kids is about it.

hansolo77    742

I remember being a kid and every grocery store having baseball cards on the shelf with the candy at the checkout lanes.  That just doesn't exist anymore.  Such a shame.  I remember back in '86, Mom would buy my bother and me each a pack of Topps Bubble Gum baseball cards whenever she was shopping.  We each had our own boxes, and tried to collect them all for that year.  If we had a duplicate card, we traded.  In the end, I had more cards than he did (just luck) in my box but he had more duplicates.  I was only missing like 11 cards, and he had 9 of them but wouldn't trade them because all my dupes he had already.  Years went by and he forgot all about them.  A friend of my Dad used to work in a baseball card shop (he owns his own eBay store now) and offered to buy my box with the 11 cards missing for like $300 bucks.  I declined hoping they'd increase in value.  Turns out a couple of the rookie cards I have ended up breaking world records and were worth $3-400 each alone.  But wouldn't you know?  They got burned up in the fire along with everything else.  They were in my closet, and the first things to go.  So far, that was the most valuable thing I owned (aside from TV's and the added up value of my computers).

Now my step mom.. she's got some stuff.  Ever here of Royal Doulton?  Well, back in the 80's they released some statuettes featuring characters from the Lord of the Rings books.  They were artist interpretations, because at the time no movies/etc (animated or otherwise) had come out yet.  They only released like 4 characters.  My stepmom got a Gandalf.  It's actually the most valuable of the set because of all the characters, he's the only one that actually looks like a character from the movies.  Now, to add some value, this piece is autographed and dated by Mr. Doulton.  She claims that all the online stuff she's read says only about 300 were ever made, and autographed ones are VERY rare.  She has a pretty high value quote from one of those "Antique Roadshow" type things they have at the mall.  Not going to post it here because I'm not sure how accurate and how true it is.  But it's at least 5 digits.  The funniest thing though is she said when she got it autographed, he tried to GIVE her a free drawing of the next piece they were going to make (Galadriel).  She told him "No thanks, I'll just wait till it's released and buy it".  Turns out, Gandalf was the last piece in the set they ever made because the series didn't sell well.  They destroyed all the molds and she was never released.  So having a hand drawn sketch mockup of the piece that never existed would have been worth a LOT of money.  She just didn't think it at the time.  Things like that are what create value for collectors.  Rare scarcity.  Sure, the name adds a bit a value,  and the autograph.  But the piece itself, being that it's the only one in the set that looks like Ian McKellen 30 years later, and only had 300 ever made, is where the value is.

Ok, so I just looked it up for my OWN eyes.  I think my stepmom is full of it (she usually is).  See here:
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/co_rdmisfmet.htm
Granted, Gandalf is in there.  But he's only $119.  There's only 2 others less valuable, but "12" that are MORE valuable.  Not to mention a display base AND Galadriel.  That's more than the 4 she's always saying they ever made.  Granted, hers might be more valuable because it's signed.  But I doubt it's 5-digit valuable.  Then again, if she was able to have it autographed by John Doulton (who died May 26, 1873) maybe it IS worth that much lol.  She probably doesn't even have his box.  Most valuable collectables are only worth it still in their unopened boxes.  What a bunch of BS.