All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

couple of emulator issues in gameex

stephenp1983

First I'd like to thank everyone for all the help they've given me setting all my emulators up and with all the configs. I have two slight problems left and hopefully someone has a answer to them.

First and the less important one. In some emulators for example the gba one I use visualboyadvance when I'm using it through gameex and hit esc it pulls up the menu and I have to use a mouse to scroll down and exit. No big deal just wondering if there was a quick fix.

Second more urgent problem. When using Fusion for my genesis and 32x roms Every other time I start it through game ex its not full screen. The reason is because when I want to exit out of it I hit esc which takes me back to gamex but also toggles it out of full screen. I was wondering if anyone knew a fix for this as well.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I believe Fusion is like a rework of the gens emulator. Try editing the config file for Fusion and make it force full screen. Then to keep it from toggling, set the properties to the file as READ ONLY. I haven't setup any gameboy emus yet so I can't help ya there.

Hey there!

First thing:

If you set the option 'MAP KEYS' to 'YES' on your emulator setup screen for VBA in your GameEx Configuration, you shouldn't have to exit through the GUI. Why? This option makes GameEx quit the emulator if BACK or ESC keys are pressed.

Make sure you have VBA set to run in full screen (in the VBA .ini file) before you launch it in GameEx. :)

Next:

KEGA has a command line option to make it run in full screen. Try this in the COMMAND LINE section of your GameEx config.

Fusion.exe -fullscreen "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

That should fix the problem. :)

Hope that helps! :D

No problem. Any other questions don't be afraid to ask. That's why we're here. :)

Ok I've just now had time to try everything out. So far the genesis one works great (thanks adultrey), but I'm having problems with visualboy advanced now. I did what you said within the config for both gameboy and gameboy advance and switched the map keys to yes, and now when I load it through gameex it loads the game for 5 seconds like its going to work and then immediately exits back to gameex. I turned the map keys to no again and it played the game fine, but I still had to exit out through the emulator which I'm trying to avoid.

Ok I've just now had time to try everything out. So far the genesis one works great (thanks adultrey), but I'm having problems with visualboy advanced now. I did what you said within the config for both gameboy and gameboy advance and switched the map keys to yes, and now when I load it through gameex it loads the game for 5 seconds like its going to work and then immediately exits back to gameex. I turned the map keys to no again and it played the game fine, but I still had to exit out through the emulator which I'm trying to avoid.

Can you post your GameEx config for me to have a look at? :)

I have two that I use one for gba and one for regular gameboy/color. I use the same emulator visualboyadvance for both however.

Here is the gba config

[Emulator_9]

Enabled=True

DumbyValue=

STARTPAGENAME=Gameboy Advance

TITLETEXT=Gameboy Advance

StartPageLogo=GameBoyAdvance

ROMFilter=

RomsInFolders=False

RomPath=C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\Desktop\Arcade\Emulators\GBA\ROMS

SnapPath=C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\Desktop\Arcade\Emulators\GBA\snaps

TitlePath=

BoxPath=

CartPath=

WorkingPath=C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\Desktop\Arcade\Emulators\GBA

MapKeys=True

WaitBeforeKeys=1500

SendKeys={esc}

ReplaceDash=True

ReplaceUnder=True

Capitals=True

RemoveBrackets=True

ShowDesktop=True

Debug=False

MAPFile=

AlsoLaunch=

Command=VisualBoyAdvance.exe "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

OLDatZip=

LaunchBefore=

LaunchAfter=

configFile=

ExcludedFiles=

CustomBackground=

PlayMusic=

PCGame=

DATABASE=

GamesIn7Zips=

Here is the gb config

[Emulator_10]

Enabled=True

DumbyValue=

STARTPAGENAME=Gameboy

TITLETEXT=Gameboy

StartPageLogo=GameBoy

ROMFilter=

RomsInFolders=False

RomPath=C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\Desktop\Arcade\Emulators\gameboy\Game Boy Roms

SnapPath=C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\Desktop\Arcade\Emulators\gameboy\snaps

TitlePath=

BoxPath=

CartPath=

WorkingPath=C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\Desktop\Arcade\Emulators\GBA

MapKeys=False

WaitBeforeKeys=1500

SendKeys={esc}

ReplaceDash=True

ReplaceUnder=True

Capitals=True

RemoveBrackets=True

ShowDesktop=True

Debug=False

MAPFile=

AlsoLaunch=

Command=VisualBoyAdvance.exe "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

OLDatZip=

LaunchBefore=

LaunchAfter=

configFile=

ExcludedFiles=

CustomBackground=

PlayMusic=

PCGame=

DATABASE=

GamesIn7Zips=

OK. I got it. :)

First issue - you shouldn't have to send the ESC key to hide the GUI. In your vba.ini file you can make the appropriate change.

Open vba.ini with a text editor (such as word pad) and locate the following line: (it's like the 56th line from the top)

autoHideMenu=0

Change that value to this:

autoHideMenu=1

That will get you rolling without the GUI, but the mouse will still be on screen. Just slide it off screen and you're golden.

Obviously, if I forgot to mention it, map keys for GameEx to use ESC again, and remove the SendKeys option from both your GameBoy Advance and GameBoy Color / Mono configurations. You can also change 'Show Desktop' to 'No'

A couple quick tips:

The VBA has some command line options you might want to explore.

Add pixel smoothing (if you are more into quality than authenticity) with these options:

-f, --filter=FILTER................Select filter:

--filter-normal...............Normal mode

--filter-tv-mode.............TV Mode

--filter-2xsai.................2xSaI

--filter-super-2xsai........Super 2xSaI

--filter-super-eagle........Super Eagle

--filter-pixelate..............Pixelate

--filter-motion-blur.........Motion Blur

--filter-advmame...........AdvanceMAME Scale2x

--filter-simple2x............Simple2x

--filter-bilinear..............Bilinear

--filter-bilinear+............Bilinear Plus

--filter-scanlines............Scanlines

--filter-hq2x..................hq2x

--filter-lq2x...................lq2x

Change the rendered scale with these options:

-1, --video-1x 1x

-2, --video-2x 2x

-3, --video-3x 3x

-4, --video-4x 4x

-F, --fullscreen Full screen

There is a full explanation of all VBA features in the Readme I've posted below...

Hope that helps! :)