All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Sega Genesis Micro!!

hansolo77

NEW PROJECT!!!

With the extremely satisfying success I'm getting with my RetroPie build inside an NES case, I decided I wanted to one better.  But rather than build an EVERYTHING system like the NES one, this one is going to be just a little itty bitty Sega system.  Ahh the memories.  My plan is to build a system using a MICRO Sega Genesis case instead of a full size one.  My plan is to use the case currently available as a USB hub.  There was mention of it in the RetroPie forums, and my mouth dropped open.  I have to have it!  Basically, it's a 4 port USB hub.  Due to the size of the case, there is lots of free space available for a Pi.  I'm thinking I might go Pi Zero, but might need to go to a Pi 2 and desolder the lan/usb plugs.  Zero would be best, but I'm not sure (according to Kustom Kid's Zero in a NES cart build) it will run Sega 32x well enough.  I intend on basically setting up a RetroPie with just Sega SG-1000, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega 32x, Sega CD, and Sega Game Gear.  If 32X doesn't work, I guess I can get rid of it.

So yeah, if anybody is interested...  The USB hub was (from my understanding at 2am last night half asleep) a free give away as part of a bundle if you bought some other things.  Like a geek box, with misc goodies inside.  Then somebody thought it would be a good idea and decided to make the USB hub available to sell without needing to buy a box of other stuff.  I don't know if they're still being made, or when more will come, but it looks like the only place you can buy them is eBay, Amazon, and this T-Shirt website called ShirtPunch.  Here is their link:

https://www.shirtpunch.com/sega-genesis-usb-hub

And here are some photos they have on their website showing it off (and yes, I noticed the Sega Master System logo on the box lol):

sku_100864-01.pngsku_100864-04.pngsku_100864-02.pngsku_100864-03.png

Pretty snazzy looking huh?!  The power switch moves, but is just for show.  Easily fixed with parts from RadioShack, etc.  The Volume slider moves, but is also for show.  No word on what people are able to do with that yet.  The RESET button is, however, just a paint job.  Perhaps if my skill was good enough, I could cut it out, and actually mount it to a switch.  I dunno.  So what do you guys think?  I ordered mine (just 1) last night when there were 27 left.  There are now (as of this writing) 12 left.  If you're interested, now's the time because they're going fast!  No word yet on shipping.  It cost $6 to ship.  Some people have actually been reporting (of course after I paid for it) some shadiness going on with this retailer.  Shipments taking a VERY long time, little to no communication even after they've sent multiple emails..  I just hope my experience is a positive one.  I don't care about any shipping delay.  I know it's Christmas.  I'd just like to get it whenever.  It's my NEXT project after all.  I just hope they don't rip me off.