All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[NEWS] A new front end

Tom Speirs

Introducing GameEx Arcade Edition.

View at YouTube.

GameEx Arcade Edition is a derivative version of GameEx that is optimized for arcade controls and machines.

It is lighter, has cosmetic improvements and supports the new EmuMovies video themes.

It supports MAME and arcade systems and has the following feature differences over the normal GameEx version.

• Supports video themes.
  • Less code. Lighter. Less options.
  • Optimized cosmetics for TV and arcade displays.
  • Good support for low resolutions (640 x 480) out of the box.
  • Does not look like windows. Does look a little like HyperSpin.

The video themes and all the content is available at EmuMovies and an automatic downloader is included with the front end.

Download here

View the full article

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Raitsa said:

Excellent stuff Tom, just started testing and very impressed.

Is there a way to enable the cheat file by Pugsy?

I havent been able to see videos or artwork of the games yet in my screen.

For automatic setup of the videos and artwork you will want an Emumovies.com subscription.

If you want to be cheap then you can get by with what is on the GameEx FTP and set the paths in the setup wizard.

Would like to see the wheel with just a little less arc to it, a little more spacing between the logos, and pushed a little more towards the right on the screen.

At present it tends to obscure some of the game play in the videos that appear towards the right.

I must say that I do enjoy firing this up and I am considering moving MAME and DAPHNE to another PC with GameEx Arcade for play in my office/game room. Loving the eye candy!

I figured how to enable the cheats by a very easy command that is -cheat

Managed to get the other extras to show up as well by unzipping em (well the game videos refuse to play, only the audiotrack was playing so i will not be trying to use them for now).

Happy camper now.

GameEx Arcade Edition is now the only choice of front end on my cabinet.

BIG thanks to Tom & all for this gem!

Thanks Tom, but after installing the very latest x64 LAV filters from Git, no videos show up, just the sound of the video.

Tried to fiddle with the LAV settings but no. Old PC, Win10 Pro 64bit, GF 8600 GT with latest drivers.

Reboot etc.

I really love this version of GameEx, using my cab is even more of a pleasure now.

Some feedback for Tom:

- sometimes when fast scrolling games lists up or down the scrolling gets stuck and cant be stopped, i dont think its because of my keyboard. Restarting GameEx fixes it.

- I dont really know if/when the front end is downloading something from the net

- this version does not seem to show how many games are in any of the folders (vertical games, golden era, favorites etc)

- i can exit the frontend from the main menu but would like to shut down PC too from the same menu without using the kleyboard (i know i can do it with a key combination)

- did i already tell how much i love the autoupdate function of GameEX. Hopefully this one gets that too :)

Just tried this out.  Very nice.  Very easy.  For those who complain that GameEx is too much like a Windows media player and just want a pure and snazzy arcade front end, this is it.

With that said I'll be sticking with the full version of GameEx since I use a lot of console and computer emulators...which raises the obvious question: will GameEx be getting support for some of the graphical improvements seen here?  For example, I can already use video themes in regular GameEx by just substituting the ordinary video snapshots with them and changing the view to show them in the background.  But it would be nice to make video themes a first class feature by making it possible to map these separately per emulator in the wizard.  I'd also like to see the ability (in regular GameEx) to turn on pop-up descriptions per emulator.  Finally, it would also be nice to have a theme supporting the moving backround in the main menu.  Along with the wheel (which is already there) I think these three changes would make regular GameEx configurable to be just as attractive as GEA.

Two other questions.  Is custom menu supposed to work with GE Arcade?  There's a sample file, but I can't seem to make it do anything.  Also, does CPWizard work?  I turned it on in the wizard, but I don't see how to invoke it.

On 12/17/2016 at 1:27 PM, GeorgeT said:

I can't wait to try this out and see if it's right for the Barcade I want to build.  Thanks Tom!

Does this install over the top of GameEx or can it be installed in addition to?

Does anyone know if there's a way to transfer settings from the current GameEx version to this version? Would hate to reenter all the settings to get this one to run. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I reported this earlier:

- sometimes when fast scrolling games lists up or down the scrolling gets stuck and cant be stopped, i dont think its because of my keyboard. Restarting GameEx fixes it.

That problem has really been bugging me since it keeps on happening every time i use the cabinet.

Today i attached a USB keyboard and everything worked as it should, no problems, the menus/scrolling do not get stuck with the USB keyboard.

(I am using a 2 stick X-Arcade in my cab with the old fashioned connection so i have to have and use an old keyboard attached to it).

The old keyboard works with everything else without problems, just not behaving with GameEx Arcade Edition menu scrolling, always gets stuck.

Not sure if its GameEx Arcade Edition thats somehow not compatible with X-Arcade or whats going on.