All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Nintendo NES Classic Edition

tthurman

Tempting, if only for star tropics. I can't find an emu that will handle it (any suggestions). I bought it for the wii's virtual console, but transferred my wii VC games to a defective wii U (Bluetooth controller troubles) and forgot to transfer back before returning (I didn't re-buy). There's probably a way to get them back, I just haven't looked.

9 hours ago, tthurman said:

A NES with an HDMI port.......

Apparently they are either in short supply, or very popular.

Most stores in my area had between 3 and 12 to sell day one. They aren't expecting more until Black Friday (how convenient).  My buddy had me looking for one today for his brother. He was hoping since I lived in a smaller city/metro area I'd have better luck. I offered to get a Raspberry Pi set up for about the same price, but I guess he really wanted the actual unit. 

Tempting, if only for star tropics. I can't find an emu that will handle it (any suggestions).

I'm not sure what you mean. It may not be perfect but it's playable all the way through in Nestopia for sure. I played it for a while on RetroArch with the QuickNES core (for the cheevies) and it is also playable there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of leaning toward getting this for my brother too. He pretty much stopped playing video games after the NES with the exception of Madden football and Tiger Woods golf on the PS2 and PS3. I think it'd be a nice surprise for him. It'd be a lot harder for us to whip the controllers around to hit each other with after "cheating"on Tecmo Bowl given their 2.5' length. 

I like the OS menu system.  And the reset button to go back to the menu is what I do with my NintendoPi.  I like the fact that when you exit mid-game, it gives you the option to incorporate a save state.  HOWEVER.. I have no use for one now, the short controller cable is definitely a deal breaker, and the limit of 30 games with no room to add more sucks.  What I would do is get the case, then tear out the guts and put a Pi inside instead.  :) I'm sure somebody will crack the OS and port it to a 3rd party open source.  But honestly... I'm not buying it.  Maybe in a few years when it's in bargin bins like the Atari and Sega consoles are now ($19.99).

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll get one and put a pi in it. I like it as a case for that kind of project. However, If possible, I'd like to retain the stock functionality and add a switch (maybe I'll hide it). Sounds like a good winter project, or perhaps summer if I don't get around to it. It should be doable.

Looks like there might be enough room under the board to place a pi3. I may need to relocate the main board. That may be difficult if I can't find a way to move some of the ports (HDMI and power). I would prefer to modify the case itself minimally. Of course, I need to get my moddy little hands on a NES classic first! Then I'll have a better idea what is possible in that surprisingly spacious little case.

Yeah, all the stores around say they're out and Nintendo just sends them more without any indication when they will arrive (so they couldn't tell me when I could expect them back in stock).

No, biggie. I just ordered my Pi3 and a few peripherals to get the RetroPi portion setup first. I can always stuff it in the case after everything is humming. I've not messed with this before, so it'll be an interesting build. Hell, I could probably stuff it in my original NES (just sitting in a box in my closet yellowing away indifferent to the world) without removing its stock function either. I like the form factor of the classic better though. Besides, I had designs on making the original NES a mini-ITX GameEx monster (But I'm remissed to gut a working stock NES).

On the yellowing note, I've been thinking about picking up some Salon 40 for mine, which I intend to leave be since it works, but is horribly ugly. Is this a good idea or should I stick to the Retr0Brite?

I never heard of Salon 40.  Looking at the Amazon ad, it's just a simple hair bleacher.  That might work, might not.  It'd probably burn through plastics.  Unless you've found instructions on how to use it for this purpose, I'd stay away.  That Retr0Brite stuff was (more or less) scientifically discovered to do exactly what you want it to do.  The original developer was (is?) a chemist, and figured out what causes the yellowing  He then created a concoction of common household chemicals that do a negative reaction to counter act the exact thing that causes the yellowing in the first place.  I'd personally go the Retr0Brite route if it were me.  It's been proven to work, where as that Salon 40 stuff just seems iffy, especially if it's something that's not been tested.

@RIP-Felix - Be sure to visit the build log of my Pi3 in an NES case.  It'll either excite you more or scare you out of trying it lol.
https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/18384-hans-nintendopi-project/

12 hours ago, Adultery said:

It's just that Salon Care 40 is much cheaper and I hear Retr0Brite weakens the plastic.

I just watched that video, and if in fact RetroBrite weakens it, then I'd stick with the safer, cheaper alternative if it where me.

Yeah, but I don't like how the finish looks.  It's all rough.  Maybe it's because he used cheap plastic.  Whenever I go to MicroCenter, they have one set up right when you go in that's always printing.  They're using it as a display, and have examples of various things they've printed with it around the machine.  Strange thing is, their stuff doesn't look all rough like this guys.  Maybe they do something to it afterwards, like put it in some kind of acid bath that takes a thin layer off the top to smooth it out.  Or maybe they can be polished down.  All I know is, the examples they have look like they were manufactured, and not printed.  Maybe it's the machine they use and his is a cheapo one.  Still, I wouldn't have much use for such a machine.  I don't need to print stuff like that all the time.  Maybe Kinko's will have a 3D printer that you can send them your plans and they print it for you, then call you when it's ready like they do large bulk orders for companies.