All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Nintendo NES Classic Edition

tthurman

That...is... AWESOME!!! I wonder if he made an instructible or something to document that build. The cart slot is off the chain! I like how you can change the game on the fly too. I imagine this was a PITA on the software and troubleshooting front. It may be more than I'm willing to take on ATM. Something to think about though.

Ok, now that makes me want a 3d printer. Man, I find little plastic parts and doohickeys all the time that would make a 3D printer very handy. I agree with Han about the finished look. My friend has an early makerbot, the ABS wire layering type don't give a smooth finish. The layers are still rounded (rough/bumpy) where the outer layer was laid. You have to sand that if you want smooth faces. Then you have to paint and stencil the logos. It gets to be a lot of work. There are different kinds of 3D printers which give far better fidelity, but you pay for it. It's inticing, to be sure.

• 1 month later...

I just saw an article stating that someone has now added all the games to a classic.  Only a matter of time.  I like the classic for the nostalgia, but a part of me wishes they would have done some minimal upgrading.  Things like, go full screen, allow for game changing with ease and wireless controllers.  The games and case are nostalgic to me.   

According to my own collection, a ZIPPED No-Intro romset (dating 2014-04-18) takes up 273-278 MB or so.  UNZIPPED (the way the mini-nes would require) I'm not sure.  Add to that a (probably) thumbnail of each cover, and you're mostly likely well over the 512 MB the device was reported to have.  That's not including the OS.  Still, my collection has EVERYTHING, with multiple versions of each ROM (copies from each region, hacks, mods, etc).  So it might be possible, though the latest I had seen was 80 games max due to the internal buffer memory of the game list reaching critical causing the system to become unstable crash unrecoverably.  As in, rebooting does nothing to fix it.  Personally, I don't think there's 80 games I'd ever play.  I like the idea a lot though, just not the price.  Even NEW (from official outlets) doesn't it cost like $60?  That's a lot of money to spend on something like this, when you can get those other micro-consoles for $20.  But I guess you're paying for the brand.

They just seem to fail lately. They have awesome games that they can bring back from the past. I love the nostalgia of the NES classic. However, I still have my own old NES. It would be nice for them to release something that plays these games and new ones. Some sort of cross platform deal. Meaning something like a new Wii with the ability to buy new games. However, the console would come preloaded with like 30 NES classics. Then give the option to buy additional classics at $1 a game. Maybe at a built in NES Classic App Store. Then maybe even have SNES. Now give the option to have wired or wireless controllers at varying price levels. It just seems like they miss the mark too often lately.

6 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

In this age of cheap transportable memory, I think it is ridiculous that Nintendo didn't include an SD card slot.

All that would do would enable the community to supply more games to the system, which Nintendo couldn't regulate and make a buck on.  If they were smart, they could have included a wifi device that connects to your home router.  Then allow purchasing of more games through an online market.  By supplying an SD card, they would just make it that much easier for pirating.  You have to remember, the market is for people who aren't particularly intelligent.  They probably didn't think about hackers rewriting the ROM.  They could have easily encrypted the ROM, making it impossible for cracking.  That's been the problem with the XBOne mod.  The underlying ROM is encrypted, so even though they can extract and write new ones, without having access to the code in the original ROM, modding is lost.  If I remember right, the only reason the original XBOX and XBOX360 were modded successfully was because somebody "on the inside" leaked the encryption key.  Nintendo just dropped the ball here by not encrypting it.  I have a suspicion that they will correct this oversight in a future release of the console, to prevent hackers from being able to add more games.

Truly I think their intent is to release something with insufficient quantity and limited features and when the novelty dies, release a v2 of the same with different games. I may be asstalking but it seems to follow their MO.

Drac is probably right. If you think about it, there's really not much overhead for Nintendo for this, especially for content. I'm sure based on its success, there will be an SNES Mini and an n64 Mini at some point. I highly doubt you'll ever see a storefront for it, because they can release a v2 with different games and goose you for the $60 again. And people will buy it.

I'm more surprised that they added a USB port, since it made it easy to hack it. It's a novelty, so why would you expect Nintendo to invest in it as if it were a 'new' system?

I guess I didn't really expect a new system. Just a small update to a classic. I had an Atari as my first console. Then it was NES and SNES. I did buy a Wii and I love Mario Cart Wii. I just can't help but feel like Nintendo keeps dropping the ball. They're flopping and you would think their CEO would want continued buzz. With this Classic, they have momentary hype. They've been flailing and will need to capitalize further. This switch deal doesn't entice me at all. I guess I just need to hang up my Nintendo love in the closet and let it be.

No way! I will own a Switch and love it! Dragon Quest FTW! But admittedly most of my gaming is on break from work or traveling. :)

I've always felt like Nintendo was created for kids.  They can't compete with Sony and M$.  Their solution has always been to release "close to" competitive hardware specs but games nobody but kids would want to play.  Add to that a completely different controller for each system.  They get licensing for big name games, but they always suck in comparison to the ports on the other 2 big systems.  They got Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, and Zelda.  Even Final Fantasy changed systems for the most part.  Nintendo has always tried to gimmick the market.  I'm actually surprised they weren't the first system to come out with a VR-dedicated system.  And yes, I'm talking true VR, not Visual Boy.  They're falling behind the curve, and it's likely going to hurt them. 

Ouch... Maybe it's my age but the consoles these days are just too much, and without having all day to devote to playing games the online component loses me. We have a PS4 and two Xbox Ones (one for each of my kids) and I'm not interested in either.

Nintendo games are more my speed. I can pick up and play, and in most cases the story is more than 10% of the game (or should I say I can get my money's worth without having to play online, campaigns are a fuggin joke nowadays).

For kids? Sure, maybe. But I also approve on behalf of old people and family game night people.

My wife surprised me with an Xbox One S Battlefield 1 special edition with 1TB. So far I like it. It will be my last console, though.

The game area of my office getting pretty full with a 3 tier stack of Xboxes, gaming PC, and pincab. I have more games than I am likely to play in the remainder of my life time.