All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Tiger Heli

November 2016 GOTM Winner: Mame Offender - 217,620 :link:

Tiger Heli
Tiger Heli Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Mame Offender 217,610 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
2 ExedExes 152,010 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
3 patrickfx 138,120 patrickfx's Hi-Score Entry
4 Cynicaster 91,040 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
5 Luigimaker 56,180 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
6 GeorgeT 51,440 GeorgeT's Hi-Score Entry
7 millerbrad 49,840 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
8 Floyd Turbo 49,640 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
9 hansolo77 47,550 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
10 rtkiii 44,010 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 12-04-2019

plus10.jpg

1. RedDog - 36,680 :link:

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Tiger Heli:

ROMSet: TigerH
Cabinet: Upright
Flip Screen: Off
Dipswitch Test: Off
Player speed: Normal (Defaults to FAST)
Lives: 3
Difficulty: Medium
Bonus Life: 20000 80000 (Defaults to 50k 120k)
Unknown: On [All] (Defaults to Off [All])
Special Rules: None

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

You Voted, Here's the November 2016 GOTM!!!  Tiger Heli was suggested by @Mame Offender back in March 2016 :link:.  It was won by a vote of 6 out of 9 possible voters.  So clearly a fan favorite.  Thanks to everybody who participated in last month's GOTM Track & Field.  We had a nice 8-player turn out.  Not what we used to have, but much better than what we've seen recently, so thanks a lot.  It's also nice to see based on the other results of the poll that by far the biggest reason nobody is playing is due to lack of time to actually make the effort.  There were a few other possibilities, like the games being too hard, the top players being too good, or just the fact that they didn't like the games.  Please keep in mind that this is just a fan controlled high score board.  There are no prizes.  So there's no reason to participate other than just to have fun.  If you feel like you have to cheat to post big scores, don't bother.  It doesn't gain you anything but self disrespect.  I understand the lack of time..  We all have lives and other hobbies.  Summer is a big time for vacationing and spending those vacations with family, so don't sweat it.  The boards are here whenever you feel like you wanna play and compete.  If you don't like the games we have, please give us ideas for others you'd love to see instead on our REQUEST thread because that's what it's there for!  And remember, you don't HAVE to play the monthly GOTM if you don't want to.  We now have 110 games in our collection, something for everybody.  So no reason why you can't improve a previously posted score, or beat a previous GOTM winner.  We actually encourage that!  If you think the game is too hard, join the club lol.  I suck at most of these games, but that doesn't keep me from wanting to play.  I have the same limitations as far as time, but I still want to post up a score, if only for history's sake so I can come back and beat it in the future.  So without further ado, let's get our game on!

Tiger-Heli (タイガー・ヘリ?) is a 1985 scrolling shooter developed by Toaplan and published by Taito for the arcades. It is a predecessor to Twin Cobra. The player controls the helicopter "Tiger-Heli" in a fight against various enemies.

The game is a vertical scrolling shooter where the player controls a helicopter taking on hordes of enemies which include tanks, battleships, and artillery. It is interesting to note that, besides some airplanes taking off, there are no flying enemies in the entire game. The player's main weapon is an unlimited supply of missiles that travel a max distance of half the screen's height. The player also has two bombs which destroy all objects within a large circular radius. These bombs can be blown off by enemy bullets. The player is killed after only one hit, and is re-spawned to a point approximately one whole vertical screen-length later, thus progressing the player past the obstacle that had killed him, albeit at a high cost. The player is given three lives initially and bonus lives are awarded at 20000 points and every 80000 points thereafter. Flashing crosses scattered throughout each level award players power-ups depending on which color the cross is. A red cross will gives the player one side-firing mini-heli which shoots perpendicular to the player's helicopter. A white cross yields a forward firing mini-heli. It is possible to have a mix and match of side-helis, totaling no more than two. The green cross will award the player with an additional bomb, if the player currently has less than two. Grabbing power-ups when not necessary yields 5000 points.

There are a total of four stages, all of which start and end with a helipad. After completion of the last stage, the game will restart in a more difficult mode starting on stage 2. Most of the game's areas contain unnecessary objects to destroy for bonus points, such as oil drums and houses. This was uncharacteristic for shoot 'em ups at the time.

In 1986, a Nintendo Entertainment System port of Tiger-Heli was released in Japan, developed by Micronics and distributed by Pony Canyon. It was later released in North America by Acclaim Entertainment, where it sold one million copies.[1]

In 1995, Banpresto released Toaplan Shooting Battle 1 for the PlayStation, a compilation of Tiger-Heli and Twin Cobra.

Tiger-Heli had two sequels, Twin Cobra and Twin Cobra II. In addition, the Tiger-Heli craft makes an appearance in Let's! TV play classic series in Slap Fight Tiger as an alternative to the default aircraft Leopard.

-Quote from Wikipedia.

I was brewing some beer last night and had a chance to get a few games of Tiger Heli in while the kettle was boiling, so I’ll kick off the party:

Pretty weak entry... I only played about 5-6 credits but I was really struggling to put something together.  The game was making me feel like I've never played a shooter before in my life.  I think the “slow” dipswitch setting is really adding to the challenge here.  A standard technique in shooter games that have tanks on the ground is you get out in front their bullets and move in an arc from in front of the tanks to behind them to take them out.  This works because the tanks’ turrets rotate too slowly to keep up with you.  In this game, the chopper moves so slowly that the tanks’ turrets can get you if you try to sneak behind them.  Guess I’ll have to come up with some new ideas.  :D 

I remember M.O. and I used to see this game at a local bowling alley arcade, but I never really got into it much at the time.  I think I am more familiar with the NES version, which is a competent port if you can get past the flicker. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

Cyn:

I think the “slow” dipswitch setting is really adding to the challenge here. 

MO:

Big time.  I've tried both and the fast one is waaay easier.  

Cyn:

A standard technique in shooter games that have tanks on the ground is you get out in front their bullets and move in an arc from in front of the tanks to behind them to take them out.  This works because the tanks’ turrets rotate too slowly to keep up with you.  In this game, the chopper moves so slowly that the tanks’ turrets can get you if you try to sneak behind them.  

MO:

Tiger Heli has a unique firing system in place.  Most shooters in existence will have a "fair" zone in which your enemy will not shoot at you.  The programmers must collectively think that this would be considered a "cheap shot". It's safe to say a common distance would be an inch or 2 away from each other in a perfect circle.    In Tiger Heli, you could be a pixel away and if they are prepared to fire, they're firing.  They prepare by simply having their turret in your direction.  All enemies, as noted by Wikipedia, are ground enemies and all will fire similarly.  The time it takes to get the initial fire off will vary, but when they fire once, a second will go by then they quickly point in your direction and boom, fire!  So the trick is to use the very little time in between shots to maneuver to a safe distance away from the enemy in question.  Keep in mind in the first loop the bullets are going only slightly faster than your ship.  So it's all a matter of not being close to anyone as much as possible I think.  

Cyn:

I remember M.O. and I used to see this game at a local bowling alley arcade, but I never really got into it much at the time.  

MO

Man oh man did I ever play this one a lot.

MO

9 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

I haven't gone back to look at the DIPs in more detail.. is there a SLOW speed setting?  I only recall seeing FAST and NORMAL.  If you're using SLOW, you're probably making it more difficult. 

Updated OP, DB, RSS

PS - I forgot to ask you Cynicaster... what is your favorite game that would be acceptable for our competition?  We'll add it as a November Bonus.

22 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

I haven't gone back to look at the DIPs in more detail.. is there a SLOW speed setting?  I only recall seeing FAST and NORMAL.  If you're using SLOW, you're probably making it more difficult. 

Updated OP, DB, RSS

PS - I forgot to ask you Cynicaster... what is your favorite game that would be acceptable for our competition?  We'll add it as a November Bonus.

Regarding DIPs, I think NORMAL = SLOW, I was just using different terminology.  I can't imagine there being a slower setting that what we're using, that would be dreadful.  :D

Do I get to pick bonus game because I won Track and Field?  Cool... I just posted a list of games in the requests thread (which, by the way, I verified that each and every one should meet the competition criteria before posting them), so I'll just grab one from that list.  I've got several shooters in that list but since we're already doing Tiger Heli this month I'll go with something entirely different.  Let's do Fast Lane... it's a totally unknown game but I'd urge everybody to give it a try because once you get the hang of it it's quite addictive.  Ever play Dodge 'Em on Atari 2600?  It's a bit like that but with changing mazes and Gradius-style powerups. 

11 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

Do I get to pick bonus game because I won Track and Field?

154b3c9c7d698a21c8f731cfdfdc0b6dfc139703

Consider it added!  I'll work on that Sunday.  I'm actually feeling a bit under the weather today, so I'm going to bed early before work in the morning.

14 hours ago, Mame Offender said:

Double Tank = Double Trouble.

1478353036144-1071734648.jpg

1478353083731-1726931783.jpg

Double tank.  Can't imagine for now.  Need to make yoga before this game to get down and relax ;)  

85770 for now .  I need to get the bonus for more score.  

By the way, not sure to understand when the hot wheel cross the screen for 10,000 points !

20161106_003153.jpg

9 hours ago, patrickfx said:

So addictive game!!! Make 110,000 without any bonus. The 130 570 will be beat soon...

The competition is heating up!!  

Hey PatrickFX, don't forget to  try some of the other games in this awesome competition.  It will raise your position on our Leaderboard very quickly.  There are many games you haven't played I'll bet.  Heck, you'll be in the Top 15 in no time!!

MO

• Like 1

14 hours ago, patrickfx said:

I fail with these 2 tanks back to back. Did you figure out how the car cross the screen for the 10,000 bonus

To make the car cross the screen, just make sure you have fired exactly 16 shots by the time you come to the railroad; this will make the car appear every time. 

You don't even have to count--if you fire one shot at every target you encounter up to and including the railroad, you land at 16 shots.  This includes all tanks, houses, little barrier things, etc. 

• Like 1